Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Smithereens

Go down 
+6
jstate
mez
Shiney
Fat Freddy
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
10 posters
AuthorMessage

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Okay, anyone like this band? I've heard very few songs by them over the years and I've like them, but never picked anything up by them. For whatever reason, they've always struck me as Bad Religion for college nerds. Haha.

I'm just curious to know what the bulk of their stuff is like. Shiney? They seem like a band you might dig.
Back to top Go down

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

A Girl Like You is an awesome song. I don't know any of their other stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 pm

I had a Greatest Hits comp at one time, but I don't recall much from it other than that song "A Girl Like You". I got rid of the cd years ago. I've heard that they've recently put out a Beatles cover album that I'd like to get my hands on though.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Get em all!

I'm a power pop tragic and this band is up their with the Plimsouls, The La's, The Spongetones, Dramarama, Redd Kross and Candy as one of the greatest bands of this genre in the 80's.

Like the classic mod 60's british invasion sound of the Move sweetened with The Byrds and then roughed up with the hard rock of AC/DC and late 70's Punk.

Good Punk has always influenced good Pop, and good Pop has always influenced good Punk. And this statement pretty much sums the Smithereens up.

Probably start with Especially For You, its their stone cold classic. But Blow Up is an awesome album as well.

For fans who like that raw guitar with the la la's.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens ran (unsuccessfully) for Governor of New Jersey a few years back. I thought that was kinda cool.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 pm

Ditto what my adopted brother Rattpoison says....

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 am

Okay. You've convinced me. I'll give them a go. Thanks!

EDIT: Just requested Especially For You from SwapaCD.
Back to top Go down

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 2:07 am

Wow! The frontman has put on a ton of weight since I saw their videos on MTV and such.

Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 6:20 am

Yeah these guys are really good. Worth it to check em out. Curious as to what you will think when you get that CD.
Back to top Go down

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 am

Can't go wrong with any Smithereens...

Great group.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Behind The Wall Of Sleep and Blood & Roses are such killer songs. Always thought it was cool they got some mainstream time in the sun during the 11 era.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 12:35 pm

I like 'em. Its certainly miles away from any part of my very, very wide musical taste zone, but they are cool.
Back to top Go down

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I like 'em. Its certainly miles away from any part of my very, very wide musical taste zone, but they are cool.
lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 am

Lead singer Pat DiNizio passed away...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/pat-dinizio-the-smithereens-lead-singer-dies-at-62/ar-BBGFH1Z?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 am

Dang that sucks. Love the Smithereens. Gonna have to play me some...

Someone was right, he gained a ton of weight by looking at some of the live videos from 2016.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

I just played their Christmas album this past weekend. Their Beatles and Who covers were awesome as well. What a bummer.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

I liked some of their songs myself. RIP
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 am

I have to admit when they were in their "prime" I was not a fan at all... simply not paying attention really... Now revisiting some of their stuff I can't believe what I missed...

I will have to revisit their catalog...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

The Smithereens Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Smithereens   The Smithereens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Smithereens
Page 1 of 1