Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Love Black Flag

Go down 
+2
mc666
candlemass
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 pm

They are lumped in with punk and hardcore bands, but Black Flag was in my opinion, their own animal. Stretching the boundaries of punk to the point of being labeled "sellouts", Black Flag (i.e. Greg Ginn) were nothing short of misunderstood musical geniuses. Some of their music, like "The Process of Weeding Out" EP takes more than a casual glance to "understand" but fans of the band should at least agree that there is, was and never will be another band like Black Flag.

I know there are some fans on this board. Thoughts on this uniquely (?) excellent band?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm

"I'd like to crucify you to your front door w/nails from you well stocked garage.......family man!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

i've always flown the Flag. i prefer the pre Rollins material, where it was more punk than Metal. however, all of it was great.

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:11 pm

I have a Black Flag tattoo. I think I dig 'em. =)
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:13 pm

I thought about the Black Flag tattoo as well. I may go with the Twisted Sister TS.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Havent' heard any of their stuff in a while but a friend of mine in college was a big fan. Always loved the "hits" like "TV Party" and "Six Pack"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:35 pm

I like them. Loose Nut has always been a favorite of mine.
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 8:14 pm

Same here! I love them as well! afro
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I thought about the Black Flag tattoo as well. I may go with the Twisted Sister TS.
My intent is to have a sleeve—or two—of tributes to my favorite bands; those bands that in some way influenced me beyond just enjoying their music. I'm going to get the tri-ryche, the Misfits skull, the Social Distortion skeleton, and a bunch of others. The biggest will be the Def Leppard logo, from elbow to wrist. Yep, I don't give a crap! It's going there.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Like them alot, mostly the Pre-Rollins material, but I have a few albums from when he was in the band too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 am

LOVE THIS BAND!! I had some of their stuff back in high school, but I plan on replacing onto cd soon.

Another band I really love is Ramones. I just picked up one of their cds yesterday as a matter of fact.

I love early punk stuff. 70s and 80s punk RULES!!!!

🤘
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am

I like pretty much everything Black Flag has done. Rollins era, pre-Rollins... no matter. It's all classic, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 am

I have the damaged cd and thats about it, I got it for one song only....

TV PARTY!!! We're gonna have a tv party tonight, ALRIGHT!
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 am

decapitate wrote:
I like pretty much everything Black Flag has done. Rollins era, pre-Rollins... no matter. It's all classic, in my opinion.

I agree.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:57 am

I have heard a lot about Black Flag. Personally, punk/hardcore (pure Punk, that is. Punk-infused METAL is awesome!) never did much for me, but I wouldn't mind checking them out. Spectrefate, how would you say they are different?
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:52 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Spectrefate, how would you say they are different?

The early stuff is pure punk, but starting with My War (second side), they started to experiment with off the wall arrangements. They started bringing in almost free jazz elements and some say "metal" elements. Greg Ginn would practice playing guitar for hours a day and produced what at first sounds like dissonant noise but if you look a little deeper there is obvious genius in his technique. It's tough to describe without letting you hear it.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=225680861
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Jesus the Christ, Rollins, Biafra, and Marley are my all-time heroes - and all TRUE punks.

For those who might be interested into checking out Black Flag, Pick up
Rollins spoken word 2cd set called "Get in the Van". It is one of the
most interesting things you will ever hear in your life, and will give
you unbelievable perspective of Black Flag, including some Pre-Rollins
'Flag, as he was a huge fan before he got in the band. Then go buy
everything Rollins has ever put to tape.

Support 2.13.61!!!!

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Ps - I even got a freakin' speeding ticket trying to make the last Rollins spoken word show in Chicago (we were 10 minutes late - damn!), on my way back from Spec's house in FLA. I blame you, B!

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:02 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Christ, Rollins, Biafra, and Marley are my all-time heroes - and all TRUE punks.

When I first read this statement my brain said to me "I didn't know he liked John Christ that much. " Laughing
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Yep, Get in the Van is a great read/listen if you are interested in Black Flag, Rollins or Punk.
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah, I go the book AND cds!

Who the heck is John Christ? (I edited it to avoid more confusion)
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm

John Christ was the guitarist on the first 4 Danzig studio CDs.
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:18 pm

That explains it - I can't stand that midget poser (with the exception of the first 2 SamHain albums - but everyone has thier weeknesses)!
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Yeh John Christ is ok, he has a solo album that is sort of cool. He did some work on the last Samhain album too. He now runs an onset fire fighting business for movie/television production that does really well. I saw it in a magazine about small businesses and it was pretty surprising.
Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 pm

Family Man is a good Spoken Word album I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I Love Black Flag Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love Black Flag   I Love Black Flag Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Love Black Flag
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next