Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clash of The Mediocre Drummers

Go down 
+9
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
ultmetal
spiritoradio
DallasBlack
Tall Tyrion
Thrasher73
mc666
13 posters

Clash of the Mediocre Drummers
Phil Rudd of AC/DC
Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_lcap71%Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_rcap
 71% [ 10 ]
Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones
Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_lcap0%Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Peter Criss (formerly) of KISS
Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_lcap29%Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage

Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Empty
PostSubject: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 9:24 pm

If Phil Rudd from AC/DC, Charlie Watts from The Rolling Stones and Peter Criss from KISS were to half a "drum-off" to showcase their drumming "skills", who would win and why?

I say Phil Rudd. Only because Peter Criss is just that bad and Charlie Watts may not be alive any longer.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:23 am

my vote is for Dave Holland.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 am

I vote for myself.Any of those guys are better than me.Well....then again.....
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:59 am

I vote for me. I'm worse than Thrasher! cheers
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 am

"I should have figured when you agreed to dress as Peter Criss. Nobody wants to be Peter Criss, not even Peter Criss!!!"-Peter Griffin

Really I can't usually tell if someone is a good drummer or not so I will not vote (just like the two above, any one could do a better job than me).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:25 am

They are all great drummers. The whole point of drumming is to keep time and all three do it very well. Not everyone has to be a Neil Peart or a Mike Portnoy. IMO

Dave Holland on the other hand would beat them all at number of molested children by a single drummer. No
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 10:14 am

spiritoradio wrote:
They are all great drummers. The whole point of
drumming is to keep time and all three do it very well. Not everyone
has to be a Neil Peart or a Mike Portnoy. IMO

Agreed.

Peter Criss was hardly mediocre in the 70's. Take a listen to "Alive". The drum work is excellent.

AC/DC doesn't require fancy drum work. They are simple and straightforward. That's what they do and they do it well.

Never been a big Stones fan, but similar to AC/DC, they don't require
excessive drumming. They need a solid drummer and tht is what he
delivers.

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Louie Clemente from Testament
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Out of the one's to choose in your list i pick Phil Rudd because i think he could do a lot more than he was permitted to in AC/DC. Solid drummer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:47 pm

How about a drum off between...
Charlie Watts, Ringo Star and Don Henley?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Quote :
They are all great drummers. The whole point of drumming is to keep time and all three do it very well. Not everyone has to be a Neil Peart or a Mike Portnoy. IMO

I kinda feel the same way. They might not be the flashiest, but they're good at what they do. As for voting, I went with Phil, mostly because he's the one I listen to most out of those 3. I like the Stones & Kiss, but when I some balls-out rock, AC/DC gets the spins.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:29 am

Of the ones listed my vote would go to Peter Criss, just cuz I love his work on those classic KISS records.

Although I gotta say, Charlie Watts always cracked me up in the old Stones videos they showed in the early days of MTV. He always looked like he was semi-comatose up there, Mick and Keith and Ronnie would be bouncing all over the set and Charlie's back there sitting up straight, ticking away on the drums, with an expression of total spacey disinterest. It was like "Is he even breathing?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 am

i will say phil rudd cos its a funny name
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 6:17 pm

Peter Criss, because I like KISS the best really. Ability wise, he's probably better than Watts most definately, and probably Rudd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:32 pm

Phil Rudd hands down on this poll!

Wargod48

NP: Benedictum - Seasons Of Tragedy
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:34 pm

Phil Rudd hands down on this poll!

Wargod48

NP: Benedictum - Seasons Of Tragedy
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Mediocre my ass! All three of those guys you listed (particularly Phil and Charlie) were the rock solid backbone that made their respective bands great in their day. Being a great drummer doesn't mean being a Neil Peart or a Mike Portnoy, etc. More important than being able to "play" (which in the latter two mentioned means basically fitting as many beats into a given space as possible) is knowing when not to play in order for a song to breathe. For that alone, I'll take any of these three over the "drum gods" any day.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 8:55 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Mediocre my ass! All three of those guys you listed (particularly Phil and Charlie) were the rock solid backbone that made their respective bands great in their day. Being a great drummer doesn't mean being a Neil Peart or a Mike Portnoy, etc. More important than being able to "play" (which in the latter two mentioned means basically fitting as many beats into a given space as possible) is knowing when not to play in order for a song to breathe. For that alone, I'll take any of these three over the "drum gods" any day.

I have to agree. It gets a little irritating when any member of a band shows off way too much. For example Dio. Love his voice, but he NEVER shuts the Smurf up when you see him live, it'd be nice if for once he just let the guitar solo be a guitar solo without singing "oooooooooooo" or somehting similar overtop of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 10:33 am

Just sitting here listening to Kiss - Alive! Peter's drum solo is outstanding. He may not be the "great" any more, but back during this era of the band, he annihilated. That drum solo on Alive! rules!

PostSubject: Re: Clash of The Mediocre Drummers   Clash of The Mediocre Drummers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clash of The Mediocre Drummers
Page 1 of 1