Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hometown Heroes

Go down 
+18
DallasBlack
HellRaiser
SideShowDisaSter
Stender
nevermore
metalinmyveins
stormspell
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
EvyMetal
mc666
MetalGuy71
Vordul
Lurideath
Thrasher73
jstate
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Unfortunately where i live (Anaheim,Ca) we had the band No Doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Quote :
When I lived in Rochester, NY, in the mid-to-late 1980's Dirty Looks were one of the big the local bands on the scene, although they were orginally from Pennsylvania. I believe they are still located out of Rochester.

Very true, we also have Manowar, who are from Auburn, NY.

Creed is somewhat a local band where I live in Florida.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 am

I forgot Wig Wam

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:31 pm

The Offspring!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Just found out that producer; bassist and back-up vocalist of PC69; and lead vocalist and bassist of Khymera, Dennis Ward, is from Dallas.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Black N Blue were originally from Portland, Or. but moved to LA to get big. Saint had members from Salem which is an hour from Portland. Tourniquet had members from Springfield which is 2.5 hours from Portland.
Meredith Brooks was from Portland. sick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
Black N Blue were originally from Portland, Or.

So you have a bonafide KISS member as almost kin! Or was Thayer even a founding member of BNB?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

James Burton, played w/Elvis, Roy Orbison, John Denver & my cousin Ricky Nelson. I have jammed with him before & my Mom is close friends with his wife.
Kenny Wayne Shepard = Barf. I grew up with his keyboard player.
Jimmy Wallace The above mentioned keyboard player, Toured w/ Aerosmith
Hank Williams Jr was born here.
Huddie Ledbetter, Bluesman
Yes I am related to the Nelson twins so go ahead & fire away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Thayer was an original. They've been all over. Most know Jaime St. James sang with Warrent, also Pete Holmes plays with Malice and has done stints with Schenker, Nugent and even Peter Gabriel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 3:42 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I grew up in Trenton, New Jersey. We considered anyone who was from Philadelphia, PA or NYC to be local as well, since all these cities are so close together. Some bands that were local band that I was into in high school that gained some success were Twisted Sister, Anthrax, TT Quick, Overkill and Heathens Rage (who I went to high school with). Of course it depends on your definition of success. Heathens Rage have this bizarre underground cult following despite the fact that all they ever recorded was demos and a poorly recorded EP. TT Quick as well never saw quite the same success as Twisted Sister and Anthrax. The Ramones were from NY. They would often play at my college. I remember hearing a radio interview with the Ramones where they touted Heathens Rage as being one of the big up-coming bands. Unfortunately it never happened for them. Of course Cinderella also came from Philadelphia, but unlike many other Philly bands they weren't really all that known in the Trenton area. There were a bunch of 80's pop rock bands that gained some success from the NJ/NY/Philly area in the 80's as well.

In New Mexico I don't know many bands that have gained any massive success. Some that were fairly popular are SeventhSign. A great melodic, progressive band. The Moshketeers were fairly well known in their time and would always pack out shows. A couple non-metal bands, The Kry & The Echoing Green gained some success on the CCM charts in the 1990's. Of course I play in Ultimatum. We have been around over a decade now. We've had some other great bands that are nearly unheard of as well like Blood Justice, Combat Faith, Extraction. Also Requiem Mass who now have three albums out.

When I lived in Rochester, NY, in the mid-to-late 1980's Dirty Looks were one of the big the local bands on the scene, although they were orginally from Pennsylvania. I believe they are still located out of Rochester. Holy Saint, a relatively unknown band by most from Rochester had a huge impact on my life. They too seem to have this odd underground cult following despite only recording a couple of cassette demos. Their second demo was recently bootlegged and released on CD. There were some other popular local bands from there but I can't really remember them right now. I guess every town has local bands that pack out the clubs and are regional favorites, despite never becoming national or international acts.

I know Brontotex grew up in the L.A. scene in the 1980's, so many big bands came out of the scene he was part of. Hopefully he'll post in this thread.

ult

i think you forgot avalon from rochester. they released an lp when you lived there(1988). also they recorded a 2nd one an year later but never released it (i have it on tape when they sent it to me with their first lp but it' s not as good as their first one). the same year(1989), when they disbanded, their bassist joined the other masters from new york, blacksmith, and they made a demo which was never sold in public. i have it and it's great, raw, uncompromised US metal in the tradition of early new york metal ala conspiracy, czar, black diamond, amaranth, squadran, carnage etc. i lost contact with them and alas i don't see it released soon officially.....
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Engorged are from Portland and they rule.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
EDIT: If any of this sounds familiar to some of you...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/local-metal-legends-t1174.htm?highlight=local
Damn! I'll be out a job here if you keep doing this.

Yeah, stop taking food out of Eyesore's mouth!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:22 am

Hamer12 wrote:
James Burton, played w/Elvis, Roy Orbison, John Denver & my cousin Ricky Nelson. I have jammed with him before & my Mom is close friends with his wife.
Kenny Wayne Shepard = Barf. I grew up with his keyboard player.
Jimmy Wallace The above mentioned keyboard player, Toured w/ Aerosmith
Hank Williams Jr was born here.
Huddie Ledbetter, Bluesman
Yes I am related to the Nelson twins so go ahead & fire away.

That's very cool that you're a cousin of Ricky Nelson. I'm a pretty big fan of oldies music, and certainly that of Ricky Nelson. Top 5 Ricky Nelson songs.

1. Poor Little Fool
2. Lonesome Town
3. Travelin' Man
4. I'm Walkin'
5. Hello Mary Lou
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hometown Heroes   Hometown Heroes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hometown Heroes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2