Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1980s death metal

Go down 
+4
mc666
sovdat
SideShowDisaSter
Required Fields
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 pm

There were a few death metal bands in the 80s. There were some, but not many. The genre really didn't take off until around 1990-91, with bands such as Gorguts, Suffocation, Benediction, etc.

I know of the following death metal bands who released death metal albums in the 80s: Death, Morbid Angel, Autopsy, Obituary, Morgoth (released an EP in 1989), Pestilence (Consuming Impulse was December 1989. The previous album was thrash, not death,). I don't think I would consider Possessed - Seven Churches death metal. It's still a cool album, though.

Anyways, what are some actual death metal bands who had albums (not demos, but actual EPs or full lengths) out in 1989 or earlier?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Repulsion - Horrified

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I don't think I would consider Possessed - Seven Churches death metal. It's still a cool album, though.

Why not?

Parabellum from Columbia were doing the most brutal version of black / death / metal back in 87.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 12:44 am

both Possessed's Seven Churches & Death's Scream Bloody Gore were more proto death.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 8:09 am

Napalm Death - Scum
I remember hearing that album and thinking to myself, "man, if music gets any faster, it's just going to be one continuous tone."

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am

Scum is closer to grindcore than death metal.

ND were more grindcore until Harmony Corruption (1990), which is their first pure death metal album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:04 am

Required Fields wrote:
Scum is closer to grindcore than death metal.

ND were more grindcore until Harmony Corruption (1990), which is their first pure death metal album.

Ok.

How about
Lightforce - Break the Curse (1989)
Of course this band later changed their name to Mortification.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 am

ultmetal wrote:
Napalm Death - Scum
I remember hearing that album and thinking to myself, "man, if music gets any faster, it's just going to be one continuous tone."

I will never forget when my brother brought that album home. I had never heard ANYTHING like that in my life, I swear I thought our turntable was broken. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Napalm Death - Scum

I will never forget when my brother brought that album home. I had never heard ANYTHING like that in my life, I swear I thought our turntable was broken. Smile
that album is one of my favorites ever. i used to spend hours skateboarding in various parking lots with Scum cranked up to annoying decibels. the girls who would watch us would flip the cassette over so the music never stopped. listening to music

anyway, i think that album fits in this thread, since most 80's death metal was either grindcore like Napalm Death & Terrorizer, or more thrash oriented stuff like early Morbid Angel & Nihilist.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:57 am

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Napalm Death - Scum

that album is one of my favorites ever. i used to spend hours skateboarding in various parking lots with Scum cranked up to annoying decibels. the girls who would watch us would flip the cassette over so the music never stopped. listening to music

anyway, i think that album fits in this thread, since most 80's death metal was either grindcore like Napalm Death & Terrorizer, or more thrash oriented stuff like early Morbid Angel & Nihilist.

It's funny, my brother has always been the big death metal guy in our family, he's been into it since the mid 80s, and though I never liked any of it back then, now years later I look back and I can actually appreciate how pivotal stuff like SCUM or SEVEN CHURCHES was. At the time though, I thought it was the absolute worst crap I'd ever heard in my life.

For a while Napalm Death held the "worst band ever" title as far as I was concerned, until my brother brought home an album called BRIDE OF INSECT by a band called Nuclear Death... gaaaaaack! That one still holds the title in my mind. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

Even worse than New Kids on the Block?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

So you see kids, "SCUM" is a very good thing, and you should LOVE "SCUM"....class dismissed.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

1980s death metal Empty

Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Napalm Death - Scum
I
remember hearing that album and thinking to myself, "man, if music gets
any faster, it's just going to be one continuous tone."

I
will never forget when my brother brought that album home. I had never
heard ANYTHING like that in my life, I swear I thought our turntable
was broken. Smile

anyway,
i think that album fits in this thread, since most 80's death metal was
either grindcore like Napalm Death & Terrorizer, or more thrash
oriented stuff like early Morbid Angel & Nihilist.

It's
funny, my brother has always been the big death metal guy in our
family, he's been into it since the mid 80s, and though I never liked
any of it back then, now years later I look back and I can actually
appreciate how pivotal stuff like SCUM or SEVEN CHURCHES was. At the
time though, I thought it was the absolute worst crap I'd ever heard in
my life.

For a while Napalm Death held the "worst band ever"
title as far as I was concerned, until my brother brought home an album
called BRIDE OF INSECT by a band called Nuclear Death... gaaaaaack! That one still holds the title in my mind. Smile
Laughing very hard

I have that one too. Lori was one scary gal! I loved that band. Cool

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 11:42 am

mc666 wrote:

I have that one too. Lori was one scary gal! I loved that band. Cool

Oh yea, that Nuclear Death chick should not have been walking around loose. Definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm

MASSACRE from the USA releases CHAMBER OF AGES back in 88, a realy good demo.
Also the early SEPULTURA releases like BESTIAL DEVASTATION and MORBID VISIONS had death metal sounds with thrash.
The MASSACRA(france) demos were close to death metal enough.
Also I.N.R.I and ROTTING by SARCOFAGO had enough old death metal in their songs too. Same with CAMPO DE EXTERMINIO by HOLOCAUSTO, or the demos by NECROFAGO had death metal.
SEASONS OF THE DEAD by NECROPHAGIA from 1987 is again a very early death metal release.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:23 pm

krokus wrote:
Also the early SEPULTURA releases like BESTIAL DEVASTATION and MORBID VISIONS had death metal sounds with thrash.
Also I.N.R.I and ROTTING by SARCOFAGO had enough old death metal in their songs too. Same with CAMPO DE EXTERMINIO by HOLOCAUSTO, or the demos by NECROFAGO had death metal.
SEASONS OF THE DEAD by NECROPHAGIA from 1987 is again a very early death metal release.

Krokus, reading your post is giving me flashbacks to the days when my brother would have tons of death metal fanzines laying around the house ("Black Hole" from Brazil, "Blackthorne" from Denmark, "Satanic Death" and "F.E.T.U." from Japan, etc.), cuz I remember seeing all of those band names (and many more) in those zines. Smile

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
krokus wrote:

Krokus, reading your post is giving me flashbacks to the days when my brother would have tons of death metal fanzines laying around the house ("Black Hole" from Brazil, "Blackthorne" from Denmark, "Satanic Death" and "F.E.T.U." from Japan, etc.), cuz I remember seeing all of those band names (and many more) in those zines. Smile

I am happy that my post gave you those great memories back brother. Very nice. Your brother was a real die hard metal maniac. Is he still????
Thanksssssssssssssssss.🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 pm

krokus wrote:

I am happy that my post gave you those great memories back brother. Very nice. Your brother was a real die hard metal maniac. Is he still????
Thanksssssssssssssssss.🤘

Oh yea, he's still way into it. Not so much into the newer bands but he still collects old school death/thrash metal on vinyl, demos on CD, etc, etc. He's like me, metal for life! 🤘

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
krokus wrote:

Thanksssssssssssssssss.🤘

Oh yea, he's still way into it. Not so much into the newer bands but he still collects old school death/thrash metal on vinyl, demos on CD, etc, etc. He's like me, metal for life! 🤘

I am very happy to here that. Many times people from the 80s are not into it anymore, at least many of them. I am happy to read that he is still a die hard maniac and thats just increible great. METAL FOR LIFE BROTHER, I AGREE🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1980s death metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980s death metal   1980s death metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1980s death metal
Page 1 of 1