Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classic Gaming

Go down 
+3
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:09 am

Well, since I wanted to reply more in the New Additions thread, I figured I'd start a new thread on the subject of old school gaming. (Did we discuss this elsewhere recently? I can't find the thread if we did.) Anyway, when I was a teen, I was obsessed with video games. I loved RPGs mostly. As I got older, the games got worse—I think. At least the RPGs. They were less about intrigue and mystery and more about cool look cut scenes and graphics. And they were so damn long. It was just boring to me. The old games I still love. Remember burning the trees and blowing up the walls in Zelda? Or how playing the game with a character name Zelda completely changed the layout of the game? That stuff was awesome! Remember having to write down clues and such? That stuff stopped as gaming progressed. That's unfortunate.

Right now I just have an old NES. I picked it up at a pawn shop in the 90s. It still works great, and I play it all the time. I don't have a huge collection of games; they used to sell them at the game stores around here, but they stopped doing so a few years back. Here's what I have right now:

Astyanax
Athena
Baseball
Crystalis *
Deja Vu *
Dragon Spirit: The New Legend
Dragon Warrior *
Dragon Warrior II *
Faxanadu *
Final Fantasy *
Golf
Karnov *
Kid Icarus
Kings of the Beach (laaaaaame)
Legacy of the Wizard
Metal Gear *
Metroid *
Pac-Man
Pro Wrestling
Rygar *
Shadowgate *
Solstice
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (no gun)
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Battle Of Olympus
The Magic of Scheherazade *
Uninvited *
Willow *
Wrath of the Black Manta
Zelda *
Zoda's Revenge

* Favorites.

The Dragon Warrior series is my all-time favorite. I've played them all on an emulator like NESticle or NESten. I cannot find Dragon Warrior III and IV, though. They go for a lot of money on eBay, which irritates me. Haha. Anyone have copies they want to trade or sell cheap? What about the game Faria? That's another one that I want, but for whatever reason that also goes for too much money, to me, at least. And I used to own it! Haha.

A lot of the games I have are games we were too poor too afford at the time. The Magic of Scheherazade was a game I was able to rent, and I loved it, but the day I had to return it my mother gave me $5 to re-rent it for a few days. Back then you had to bring the game or video back so they could scan it and such, but on the way I was jumped for four black dudes and, of course, they stole the game and the $5 that was in the case. 'Til this day, I despise those dirtbags. Haha. Hopefully they're dead or in jail (unless they smartened up). But I've got another copy now. Whoohoo!

In the last 10 years, at least, the only game I've gotten into is World of Warcraft, but even that game gets boring sometimes and I've quit twice. I've tried Morrowind and Oblivion, and I didn't like them. I also tried Fable and found it boring. Assassin's Creed looks killer, so I may give that a try when it comes out for the PC. And Warhammer Online looks like it'll be cool, but we'll see. Otherwise, nothing has impressed me.

Anyway, discuss. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 2:39 am

Old skool? How bout one room schoolhouse with a wood stove?
I'm talking Larry the Lounge Lizard and Fighter Pilot on C-64. We also had Titlebout on C-64 (no graphics). I still remember who the champions were...

Jack Johnson
Gene Tunney
Ray Robinson
Tommy Hearns
Roberto Duran
Carlos Zarate

There was also a boxing game with graphics, I think it was called Sandman or Knockout?
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 am

NES was the best. I'm a fan of 2D graphics. New video games are way too intense for me. Give me Castlevania II or Contra anyday. The original Playstation was the limit for me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 am

I miss my NES. It crapped out on me sometime in the mid 90s and I've never gotten round to finding a replacement.

I still have a Sega Genesis that works fine, however. Don't have a lot of games for it but I challenge anyone here to a Ms. Pac-Man faceoff. I'll smoke ya. Wink

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 9:09 am

MY FAVORITE:
Pitfall
Asteroids
Defender (RULED!)
Street Fighter
Joust
Excite Bike
My older Sister was a Centipede goddess!!!!

FF, I had a Genesis and then a Sega CD which is that mounted to a cdrom thing. THAT WAS COOL! OMG, what happened, I'm old.
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 9:25 am

I really like 2d games as well.

Some favorites are:
Mario Bros. 1-3
Sonic Series
Legend of Zelda Series
Final Fantasy Series
Kirby in Dreamland
Gauntlet
Castlevania 1-4
Super Mario RPG
Resident Evil Series

I have a few systems and didn't pay more than $15 for any of them (except PS2, DS, GBA)

Atari 2600
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis
N64
PS1
PS2
Gameboy Advance
Nintendo DS
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 10:55 am

Nes rules dude! There's nothing better than a 2D game! 🤘

Game that I own:

Atarie (I remember the first time I played omg!):

Yars' Revenge (Cool game can't explain it lol!)
Kangaroo
Mario Bros. (Doesn't work...SO never played...)
Tron Deadlt Discs.
Astroblast

Nes:

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Dr.Mario
-NesOpen (Funny golf game)
-Spot (Sucks but I played so much LOL!)
-Dr.Jeckyll And Mr.Hyde (I never really played it was too difficult for me when I was a little kid)
-ArchRivals (Basket ball game really cool)
-Rad Racer (Never played I think...)
-Adventure Island II (Really cool!)
-Top Gun (Played a long time ago)
-Super Mario Bros.
-Super Mario Bros.II
-Super Mario Bros.III
-Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
-Nascar
-Snake Rattle'N'Roll (Funny game with Rock And Roll songs)
-John Elway's Quarterback (Really sucks)
-Ice Hockey (Yeah babe!)
-Werewolf
-Super Spike V'ball/Nintendo World Cup (A Volleyball and a soccer game both are cool)
-The Rocketeer (Really cool)
-Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball (It sucks but I played so much that I find it cool)
-Blades Of Steel (Cool hockey game! I have another copy of it)
-Jaleco (If I remember corecctly it pretty sucks...)

Snes:

-Thunder Spirits (Cool arcade game)
-Super Mario All-star (That's cool to have it 'cuz I can play to the Mario Bros. game that were on Nes without bug 'cuz my Nes always bug after some hours of playing)
-Super Mario World (Really cool too)
-Battleship
-Starfox (I don't like it)
-A turtle ninja game (Don't remember the title)
-Others that I don't find...

N65:
-24 videogames

GBA: Something like 10 videogames

My favourite are:

Legend Of Zelda series
Mario Bros. Series
Final Fantasy Series
Mario RPG (I finished it 1 time but restarted it like 10 times)
Deus Ex (Maybe the best game of this type)

I don't know if I have some rarities.
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 am

I have an extra of the NES game Journey to Exodus if anyone wants to trade a cd or something for it. It's one of those Bible Games that Wisdom Tree made.
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 am

Forgot about the Game Cube games:

22 games.

I also own almost every booklet for every game that I bought. (i have some that were given to me or when I bought Nes games they weren't in a box.)

The only booklet that I own on Nes is the one for Super Mario Bros. 3.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 am

I still have my Atari 2600 and my wife has her old Nintendo.Some of my faves are:
Pitfall
Space Invaders
Baseball
Battlezone
Defender
Outlaw
Berzerk
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 am

thrasher73 wrote:
I still have my Atari 2600 and my wife has her old Nintendo.Some of my faves are:
Pitfall
Space Invaders
Baseball
Battlezone
Defender
Outlaw
Berzerk

Yeah! dude Atari 2600 Rulez! 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I mentioned my NES obbsession with this:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/of-unsound-mind-f2/nes-t2409.htm

As for SNES my all time favorite was Final Fantasy II which was my first introduction to the Final Fantasy world. Next would be A Link To The Past. Others I remember fondly the ones I had the most fun with in red): Super Contra, Super Mario World, Breath Of Fire II, The Adams Family, Batman Returns, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Street Fighter II, Mortal Combat, Super Mario World, WWF Royal Rumble, Fatal Fury, and ActRaiser.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Ah, I knew there was a thread on it before. How'd I miss it. I hate being redundant.
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 2:17 pm

The thing I hate the most with the Nes is that the it always freeze...
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Are you really 13? I mean, you always mention buying albums and stuff. I never had any money at 13! Haha. And now you're all into a game system that was discontinued before you were born. What's the deal?
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 6:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
Are you really 13? I mean, you always mention buying albums and stuff. I never had any money at 13! Haha. And now you're all into a game system that was discontinued before you were born. What's the deal?

I'm not always buying albums LOL! Last time I bought something related to music it was this summer. And for the video games that's because when I was young I started playing with old game systems. It begun with the atari then the Nes and the sega. I like old game it's like this! I like old music it's like this!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 am

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

I'm not always buying albums LOL! Last time I bought something related to music it was this summer. And for the video games that's because when I was young I started playing with old game systems. It begun with the atari then the Nes and the sega. I like old game it's like this! I like old music it's like this!

He's an old man in a 13 year old body. Smile

Seriously, I wish there were more kids like you, AF655!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Hey, it's the internet. He's probably 75. lol!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 pm

firestar wrote:

Super Mario RPG

My God, one of the best games ever released. It sells for a lot of money on ebay and amazon now.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I challenge anyone here to a Ms. Pac-Man faceoff. I'll smoke ya. Wink

Oh no, you won't. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 3:03 am

My area of expertice is Mortal Kombat or Mario Kart. I will own you n00bs. haha
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:42 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I challenge anyone here to a Ms. Pac-Man faceoff. I'll smoke ya. Wink

Oh no, you won't. Evil or Very Mad

Oh yeah? Sounds like you and I need to meet up and settle this, Tall T!! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Hey, it's the internet. He's probably 75. lol!

Not really LOL!

Look at this pic (1 and year a half ago) Am I looking like a 75 years old guy? (Hey don't tell me I'm ugly! My hair really sucked...I also had my old glasses...It's the day where I bought my guitar!)

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img45/93/sanstitrejy7.png
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Do you work out?
Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 10:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Do you work out?

SOrry I don't understand this sentence I'm not bilingual....Not yet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Gaming   Classic Gaming Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Gaming
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next