Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

stock market

Go down 
+4
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
spiritoradio
EvyMetal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

stock market Empty
PostSubject: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 4:26 pm

anyone play the stock market? and if so, what stocks you got going. In my economics class, we're playing a stock market game and i think its complete bull.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 pm

My team one that stock market game when I was in Econ. I thought it was kind of a fun game though, what don't you like about it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 8:50 pm

I took an Economics course in college that explained all the ups, downs, ins and outs of the stock market. I didn't understand a word of it then, and I still dont' understand how it works now. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 8:54 pm

We did the stock markets in an Urban Geography class in high school. I did really well at it, actually, but I've since forgotten everything I learned.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Don't play it too much, other than employee stock purchase plans and stock options - ended up on the losing end of both!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 am

i don't play in the market, but my money does. i have a guy that takes care of our investments.

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 11:25 am

mc666 wrote:
i don't play in the market, but my money does. i have a guy that takes care of our investments.

Me too. In fact, I'm in investments full time. I work from home and I'm also a stay at home dad. I can raise my son this way - so it's nice. I have stocks, but honestly my favorite kind of investing is real estate. I don't quite understand how the stock market works, but I do have professional help.

I like real estate though as it's a much more solid investment - although it takes more time to profit. It's not a 'get rich quick' type of deal, but it's way more secure. I actually buy land/houses all over the USA (so far just in the west though).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:13 pm

There was an experiment in High School where we were to pick stocks and keep watch on them. I remember picking Disney and Harley-Davidson. Disney was the most sucessful while Harley was, if I remember correctly, the least. Apart from that I don't remember shinola.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I have my own individual stock investments but mostly go with mutual funds. I like the bigger company stocks like GE, Coca Cola, General Foods, Microsoft, Yahoo and some others. I prefer solid, long term growth over the get rich quickly approach. It is too hard for me have the time do all the research to pick the hot stocks...

Blackie - I am also in real estate only on the lenders side of things. We do primary (and a few) secondary liens. Its an adventurous market place right now. My wife and I are looking at maybe buying a second home (to store all my metal of course). got any advice?

Alex

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 11:43 pm

exact33 wrote:
I have my own individual stock investments but mostly go with mutual funds. I like the bigger company stocks like GE, Coca Cola, General Foods, Microsoft, Yahoo and some others. I prefer solid, long term growth over the get rich quickly approach. It is too hard for me have the time do all the research to pick the hot stocks...

Blackie - I am also in real estate only on the lenders side of things. We do primary (and a few) secondary liens. Its an adventurous market place right now. My wife and I are looking at maybe buying a second home (to store all my metal of course). got any advice?

Alex

We also have two homes. One here in the Albuquerque area and one up north. The advice I would give you right now is ... wait until 2008 - according to many trustworthy financial anylysts, there is going to be a major recession. The price of land will come down (it's actually already begun). It seems simple - but that's the secret. Buy land when it comes down (recessions are actually some of the best times to pick the fruit of the land! - they don't have to be dark times if you look at them right). My in-laws did this back in the late 80s. Remember that recession we had in the USA? Well, they bought up tons of land - and are now millionaires today. No kidding! However, this type of field requires much patience as it is certainly not a get rich quick scheme (like you mentioned, I'm the same way - I veer clear of those).

Also, a rule of thumb I've learned from investing over the past few years: if something seems too good to be true - it probably is! I've lost my share of money I will admit. I've actually lost thousands on 'too good to be true stocks'. However, fortunately I've bounced back due to solid real estate and other wise investing, so I've been fortunate.

Anyway - this type of work is not for everyone, but for the few who do approach it - it can be rewarding! For one thing I don't have a boss breathing down my neck everyday. I also can dress how I want and not try to look 'professional' or whatever. I even wear my band t shirts when I go look at land!

lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 12:22 am

blackieboy wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex

We also have two homes.
so do we, one in TN & one in VA. Smile

EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 1:54 am

but those big motor companies arent doing so well, since the price of gas has skyrocketed to $90 a barrell. the best thing would be to invest in some lesser known petroleum or shipped good company and start short-selling.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 am

I think it takes a certain talent, you gotta enjoy it a little bit, which I don't at all. I'm very conservative in my investments. Moderate mutual funds, cd's, money market, and I have an extra property that I'm just kinda hanging on to for now. And believe it or not, good old U.s. Bonds have served me well. I just bought into a "moderate/aggressive" mutual fund, and even though it's with a pretty conservative company, just the word "agressive" makes me nervous. I invest my money conservatively and just forget about it for a long time. So far it's worked out fine. But I have a friend that likes to play the market, and it seems to work out well for him, but he finds it entertaining. Not me!
Back to top Go down

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I think it takes a certain talent, you gotta enjoy it a little bit, which I don't at all. I'm very conservative in my investments. Moderate mutual funds, cd's, money market, and I have an extra property that I'm just kinda hanging on to for now. And believe it or not, good old U.s. Bonds have served me well. I just bought into a "moderate/aggressive" mutual fund, and even though it's with a pretty conservative company, just the word "agressive" makes me nervous. I invest my money conservatively and just forget about it for a long time. So far it's worked out fine. But I have a friend that likes to play the market, and it seems to work out well for him, but he finds it entertaining. Not me!

Yeah, I'm not too big on the market either. Also, bonds have been great for us too! One of the most profitable investments we've had going!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stock market Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock market   stock market Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stock market
Page 1 of 1