Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question

Go down 
+2
DallasBlack
Chairman_Smith
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Empty
PostSubject: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 8:48 am

I'm working overnight on the 4th, a 12 hour shift. When the clocks get set back, will I get paid for the extra hour or will they screw me over?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:05 am

Don't know, the company I work for has us stay with the origional time and then move it back once we switch over to day shift (that way nobody gets screwed over). When I was in the navy and we were on our six month deployment, the clocks would have to be adjusted (obviously since we were travelling half way around the world). When I was on my first 6 month deployment the ship would set the clocks back on night shift that way days would get an extra hour of sleep and nights an extra hour of work. They would set the clocks forward during the day so days got an hour off work and nights got an hour less of sleep (that p*ssed me off to no end). Fortunatly on my second six month deployment they were more fair about it and both days and nights got some extra hours of sleep and/or extra hours of work.

Just to give you an idea how upset I got on my first deployment, the time would change (both ways) a total of 7 times. Giving me and the other night shifters 7 extra hours of work and 7 hours less of sleep in a six month period.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:34 am

Good question......on my job you get paid the same. It works both ways because at some point you'll work a shift that's an hour shorter. If you leave jobs in between, well, someone comes out ahead. I bet each company has a different way of dealing with this....
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 2:27 pm

I hope I get paid the extra hour if and when I face this dilemma.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 2:29 pm

you might get pay and a half
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:11 pm

You'll get screwed over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
You'll get screwed over.

lol!

Yep, the little guy sems to get screwed in this situation.

That's what you get for working graveyard though. I hate that shift.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Hmm, we usually change hours on the last October's weekend ... but I guess everything's different in America Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:50 pm

You know what's weird for me is spending time near the Equator where there's no Daylight savings time and the Sun rises and sets at 6:00 every day. It's easy to get into a rhythm that way.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:59 pm

I'm in Alaska right now, and the sun sets at 6:00 and rises at 8:45 am. I hate that late sunrise. Next week it will rise at 7:45 thank God.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm the opposite....I love Winter because of early Sunset and late Sunrise. I love dusk settling over the Land around 5:45!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Well, by the time I leave here, I am told the sun will go down at 3:00 pm. That will be a week before Christmas.

I don't mind the early sunset as much as a late sunrise. It's hard to get motivated in the morning.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Conversly - at least for the novelty of it - I'd enjoy that 4:00 Sunrise in England and other places where that happens. I'm a morning person and I'd feel so useful and productive getting up @ 4:00 and having my days' chores done by 9:00 AM! I usually do the groceries @ 6:30-7:00 AM anyhow because there's noone at the store and I can fly and I could top that in early Sunrise places...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:08 pm

Yeah, I guess shopping wouldn't be bad in the dark. however carrying a 200 pound peice of pipe in the dark is another story all together. Very Happy

Last edited by on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:10 pm

True!! I don't like to work in the dark! (Unless it's a fire!...then that's the best time because you can see it better)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:13 pm

remember, that I live in Florida. The Sunshine State. The late mornings are killing me. It's the only bad thing about up here.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Are you laying oil pipe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:29 pm

No, I install fire sprinklers. I work in the buidling.

Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question 180px-Sprinkler_valve
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm

Very cool....so our professions are "cousins"....I see those in Lowe's, Wal Mart, etc....all the time. Part of our anual inspections involves making sure these are getting maintained properly. So, do you travel all over?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:34 pm

What do you do? Whole store inspections?

I worked in my town for a long time, but am now travelling. Don't know where I'll be after Christmas yet.

I'm taking 6 weeks off.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm a Firefighter and we inspect all public buildings/businesses each year for "life safey hazards". Each station has a certain district they respond to emergencies in and we generally inspect the buildings in our running district.

( Laughing I think we "highjacked" this thread)

Yeah, so tonight I'll work an extra hour...but hopefully get more sleep! Fall back indeed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:40 pm

always wanted to be a firefighter, but didn't want to mess with the EMT part of being a firefighter.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 pm

I asked, I get paid for it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 6:50 pm

Quote :
but didn't want to mess with the EMT part of being a firefighter.

That part is very bitter-sweet....and in today's world that's 70-80% of what we do, anyhow. So yeah, if you don't like EMS being a Firefighter would be a drag....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question   Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Daylight Savings... Time Clock Question
Page 1 of 1