Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"

Go down 
+19
AchrisK
MoonChild
DallasBlack
fingers
Invader
Olafsto
thejokeriv
Lurideath
spiritoradio
caniplaywithmadness?
Smindas
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
candlemass
scottmitchell74
journeyman
exact33
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Empty
PostSubject: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 8:53 pm

This album seems to get slagged by many many people as one of Iron Maiden's worst albums. I never could figure out why.

I guess I'm in the vast minority of people who love it! In fact, it's my favorite Iron Maiden album and has been for 4 years now (ever since first hearing it).

What are your thoughts on this album? Do I stand alone in thinking it's great?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 8:55 pm

I love it as well. Wildest Dreams and Paschendale are 2 of my favorite Maiden songs.

The cover stinks but its just a cover. The album kills. I love the last three IM albums as much as the early stuff if not more than the early stuff.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 pm

i agree too the cover is pretty lame. I do like the music though. I think most people, and i am one of them, think bruce has lot some vocal range but the music on the whole is good but i dont think there outside of paschendale there are too many maiden classics on this album. It is a good album to listen to from start to finish....

Alex

journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:27 pm

I also think the cover is pretty bad, but Dance of Death is one of my favorites. Love the album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:46 pm

I think it's great! The last three are among their best ever and the best for me since Powerslave (I don't want to keep killed here but SIT and 7th are my least favorite).
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 pm

I have no problem w/the cover or the content, don't think it's their best though. Their worst? Anything w/out Bruce, including the first two nwobhm drivel!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 pm

Not their best, but thankfully far from their worst. It's one of those discs that I played like hell for the first month or so that I had it, but since then I only dust it off once in awhile.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:49 am

candlemass wrote:
I have no problem w/the cover or the content, don't think it's their best though.
this is pretty much my feelings on it as well.

candlemass wrote:
Their worst? Anything w/out Bruce, including the first two nwobhm drivel!
oh man... the first two albums are absolutely awesome. however i agree that the Blaze stuff falls into the "worst" category of Maiden's discography.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:54 am

I really think the true Maiden discography should start with Number. The first 2 albums just sound like the best general NWOBH that was out at the time, and nothing else. I haven't listened to either for years.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:13 am

Not the 1st album I reach for when I want to listen to some Maiden, but hardly one of their worst either.

As for their first 2, well, they are just classics. I'm a fan of the Bruce years moreso than Paul, but those 2 albums helped define a whole style, movement, look, sound, everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:22 am

Well, it's great to see that I'm not alone in loving this album!

Thanks guys! A lot of my local friends seem to feel this is one of Iron Maiden's worst albums.

I was at a concert the other night and got into a conversation with several guys. With the exception of just one guy, everyone else was just slagging this album as if it was nu metal or something. Whatever.

About the cover, it's not their finest moment, but I thought it was kinda cool. Something different never hurt. Plus it has a bit of a 'dark' feel that I like, even though it's CGI.

Musically speaking, this album has some of my favorites songs:

Journeyman
Wildest Dreams
Rainmaker
No More Lies
Montsegur (sp?)
Dance of Death

Those are my faves.

As far as favorite Iron Maiden albums goes, here's my rankings:

1. Dance of Death
2. No Prayer for the Dying (another very underrated work)
3. Powerslave
4. Somewhere In Time
5. The Number of the Beast
6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
7. A Matter of Life or Death
8. Iron Maiden
9. Brave New World
10. Killers
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:26 am

I agree....I think Killersis just a knotch below the Triumvirate of NOTB/POM/Powerslave. Di'Anno brings a different vibe to those early ones and Killershas some special, defining moments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:27 am

"Killers" is good. I prefer their "S/T" over it though.

What do you think of the "S/T" Scott?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:30 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I agree....I think Killersis just a knotch below the Triumvirate of NOTB/POM/Powerslave. Di'Anno brings a different vibe to those early ones and Killershas some special, defining moments.

Look at you with the $5 fancy word!! For some of us more ignorant keyboard-pounding mouth breathers...

The term triumvirate (a law)(from Latin, "of three men") is commonly used to describe a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals. The arrangement can be formal or informal, and though the three are usually equal on paper, in reality this is rarely the case. The term can also be used to describe a state with three different military leaders who all claim to be the sole leader of the state.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:18 pm

LOL, that's my goofiness oozing out at times..... Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" 309780

Blackieboy.....I think S/T is OK, it has a couple of good moments especially in light of when it came out, but it's the least favorite of the first 5. But, that's like saying Dutch Apple Pie is my 5th favorite pie!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:28 pm

blackieboy wrote:
"Killers" is good. I prefer their "S/T" over it though.

What do you think of the "S/T" Scott?

I think he likes the Di'Anno years a bit more, but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Dance of Death is probably my favourite Maiden album. It got me in to the band and it's just generally up my street.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:37 pm

candlemass wrote:
Their worst? Anything w/out Bruce, including the first two nwobhm drivel!

Shocked blasphemer! go sit in the corner

i like dance of death. not their best, not their worst
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Why is everyone coming down so hard on the first two discs? Remember Dickinson took over Di'Anno's spot not the other way around. Plus Dickinson's first band Samson was also very NWOBHM.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:38 pm

I like this album, but I am so sick of the way they have changed. Every single song on Dance of Death except 1 starts off slow and acoustic. Really angers me! They aren't that damn old that they have to constantly play slower than snails! I've been losing interest in their later stuff and my respect for them is dwindling.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:19 pm

GREAT Album - the Death On The Road DVD is good too

As for one of Maiden's worst, maybe just worst Album cover!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:38 pm

I`m with you blackieboy, love that album!!
actually I played it a couple of days ago, thinking wow this is one of the greatest Maiden albums! Underrated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:44 pm

Olafsto wrote:
I`m with you blackieboy, love that album!!
actually I played it a couple of days ago, thinking wow this is one of the greatest Maiden albums! Underrated.

🤘 🤘

I play this one all the time. Probably moreso than any other IM disc. As for the starting off 'slow' and 'acoustic' or whatever. I love that about this disc.

I think it's the most melodic IM album, and I guess that's why I love it.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 am

It isn't their best, but it is a good album
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 6:06 am

blackieboy wrote:
This album seems to get slagged by many many people as one of Iron Maiden's worst albums. I never could figure out why.

I guess I'm in the vast minority of people who love it! In fact, it's my favorite Iron Maiden album and has been for 4 years now (ever since first hearing it).

What are your thoughts on this album? Do I stand alone in thinking it's great?

I dont think its bad the only formula missing is that the album sounds bit mellow for Iron Maiden like Bruce Dickinson doesnt use his loud high pitched voice much on the album but despite that its very melodic and still a great Iron Maiden album and definitely shits on Fear Of The Dark which in my opinion is Maiden's worst album along with No Prayer for the Dying but also they have done very well by remaining true to themselves not converting to any trend like MetallicA and Def Leppard did in the 90's and now. But its not as good as their stuff b4 NPFTD and Brave New World. The album cover art is completely CRAP and the worst cover art theyve done they should bring back Derek Riggs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"   Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next