Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?

Go down 
+5
Robert Parigi
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
John Madden
9 posters
AuthorMessage
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Empty
PostSubject: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Hello men! This topic has been rattling in the 'ol coaches brain for awhile- Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?

It's like this weird phenomenon almost like how the French love Jerry Lewis. Every one from Jonathon Davis of Korn to Joey Severance of Thrash metal band Tornado have all expressed their love for this supposed "boy band". Check out Jonathon Davis's cover of "The Chauffer" The Deftones have also covered this song. "The Chauffer "is one of the greatest songs ever made.

https://metalinjection.net/editorials/back-in-the-day/the-14-most-metal-duran-duran-covers-from-around-the-world

I'm still a fan of this band 'till this very day! Any closet Duran Duran fans out there?

Last edited by John Madden on Fri May 05, 2023 7:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 5:35 pm

I don't own any DD albums but I don't turn them off when they come on the radio, either.

"Ordinary World" is a banger...

...and of course I'm a huge James Bond nerd, so I love their theme for "A View To A Kill."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu May 04, 2023 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

007 and John Madden like this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 6:58 pm

Lots of metal fans are also fans of 80’s pop. I don’t know why… I am too! Maybe it’s the strong catchy melodies. Good music is good music. I even like a few 80’s era rap tunes on occasion. I don’t care.

scottmitchell74 and John Madden like this post

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 8:48 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Lots of metal fans are also fans of 80’s pop. I don’t know why… I am too! Maybe it’s the strong catchy melodies. Good music is good music. I even like a few 80’s era rap tunes on occasion. I don’t care.

Working in the grocery store, I've been hearing a LOT of 80s pop/new wave etc. on the in-store Muzak -- not only Duran Duran, but stuff I haven't heard in years like Human League, Spandau Ballet, ABC, Animotion, The Motels, etc., etc.. Brings back memories of watching MTV for hours on end when I was a kid.

Of course back then I wouldn't give a lot of those songs the time of day (I was busy listening to "true metal" like... Def Leppard and Motley Crue, haha) but looking back, there was a lot of good stuff produced during that era that still holds up today.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Troublezone and John Madden like this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 10:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Working in the grocery store, I've been hearing a LOT of 80s pop/new wave etc. on the in-store Muzak -- not only Duran Duran, but stuff I haven't heard in years like Human League, Spandau Ballet, ABC, Animotion, The Motels, etc., etc.. Brings back memories of watching MTV for hours on end when I was a kid.

Of course back then I wouldn't give a lot of those songs the time of day (I was busy listening to "true metal" like... Def Leppard and Motley Crue, haha) but looking back, there was a lot of good stuff produced during that era that still holds up today.

I always liked that stuff. Before I was into metal, I was just another kid enjoying the pop songs and action movie soundtracks. Most 80’s movies have those catchy as hell tunes like Eye of the Tiger or Danger Zone etc…
It might be nostalgia, but it can stay with you forever.

Also John Hughes movies had those iconic soundtracks. Stuff like: Simple Minds, Psychedelic Furs, General Public, Killing Joke, Spandau Ballet etc…

There’s even a boxset. https://www.classicpopmag.com/2022/08/john-hughes-movie-soundtrack-collection-set-for-release/

John Madden likes this post

Back to top Go down
Robert Parigi
Metal novice
Metal novice
Robert Parigi

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 3:03 am

Cause they slap.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 8:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Same here. But all that stuff is really enjoyable music. At one point I had Duran Duran's greatest hits on a cassette, which makes me wonder now whatever happened to it.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 10:16 am

I have six albums of Duran Duran. I have their first three, self-titled, RIO and Seven and the Ragged Tiger. I also have Duran Duran (The Wedding Album) and Paper Gods and All You Need Is Now. They've never been the same since Andy Taylor left the group. Unfortunately, he's dealing with Stage 4 Prostate Cancer. I'm fully expecting to hear sad news regarding his demise. He couldn't even make it to the bands Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction. I think I would be invested in more of the bands discography if they had some deluxe issues with some live shows. Here's hoping...

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Robert Parigi wrote:
Cause they slap.

Being an old fart, I had to look up what "slap" means in current slang adages and I still don't get it. Laughing very hard

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 10:49 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
They've never been the same since Andy Taylor left the group. Unfortunately, he's dealing with Stage 4 Prostate Cancer. I'm fully expecting to hear sad news regarding his demise.
That's horrible news. I hope he gets better.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 5:01 am

Can't really answer your question, because I can't fucking stand them. lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 10:48 am

James B. wrote:
Robert Parigi wrote:
Cause they slap.

Being an old fart, I had to look up what "slap" means in current slang adages and I still don't get it. Laughing very hard

Perhaps it means to get funky on da bass. Razz

John Taylor from Duran Duran is pretty darn good at it!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 7:11 pm

They wrote some great songs. A lot of those 80's nu-wave bands had really good, catchy songs.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:
Robert Parigi wrote:
Cause they slap.

In slang terms it means "excellent or amazing" (I think Laughing very hard )
The correlation between "slap" & "excellent or amazing" escapes me. insane

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm

I just remember Duran Duran being background music when you were boning some New Wave/Preppie Chick at their place. cheers

Fat Freddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 11:51 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Can't really answer your question, because I can't fucking stand them. lol!
Then why bother replying ? Do you feel better now? Laughing very hard Laughing very hard We all know hurt people hurt people. What did Duran Duran ever do to you? Laughing very hard Do we ALWAYS have to talk abbot Sodom? Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 6:16 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:
Robert Parigi wrote:
Cause they slap.

In slang terms it means "excellent or amazing" (I think Laughing very hard )
The correlation between "slap" & "excellent or amazing" escapes me.  insane

Seriously? What the heck! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 6:18 pm

James B. wrote:
I just remember Duran Duran being background music when you were boning some New Wave/Preppie Chick at their place. cheers

Blame it on Rio…  Razz

I thought you’d be more likely to impersonate El Duce with some rape-rock on the stereo. Laughing very hard

That’s what the Mentors called their music (for those that didn’t know)

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I thought you’d be more likely to impersonate El Duce with some rape-rock on the stereo. Laughing very hard

Except Mentors only had that one EP out during the time frame I was referring to. (81/82)
Personally, they were not on my radar till the live album in 1983. By then, I was done boning new wave/preppie chicks. greedy

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 4:44 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Except Mentors only had that one EP out during the time frame I was referring to. (81/82)
Personally, they were not on my radar till the live album in 1983.  By then, I was done boning new wave/preppie chicks. greedy

Did they talk like “Valley Girl”? Or Tracy Nelson on the show Square Pegs.  Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 12:43 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Did they talk like “Valley Girl”? Or Tracy Nelson on the show Square Pegs.  Laughing very hard

We didn't do much talking butt dance

BTW, i do not recall anyone talking like that till AFTER the Zappa tune came out.
Although my only treks to San Fernando Valley were just to The Country Club in Reseda to catch a show or play one.

Never watched Square Pegs, so can't call that one. I do know her as older sis of the Nelson Twins.

The Coach is gonna yell at us for hijacking hid Duran Duran thread Laughing very hard

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 5:34 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

We didn't do much talking  butt dance

BTW, i do not recall anyone talking like that till AFTER the Zappa tune came out.
Although my only treks to San Fernando Valley were just to The Country Club in Reseda to catch a show or play one.

Never watched Square Pegs, so can't call that one. I do know her as older sis of the Nelson Twins.

The Coach is gonna yell at us for hijacking hid Duran Duran thread Laughing very hard

I’m pretty sure the valley girl way of talking existed before the song because the song was meant as a parody. But it did popularize the style nationwide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?   Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are Duran Duran so popular with metalheads?
Page 1 of 1