Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.

Go down 
+9
nevermore
Gilbert
Lari
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
tohostudios
the sentinel
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Empty
PostSubject: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Until I get around to Metal Disease Songs Part II, here's another new one (working from home has increased my productivity, haha)

I picked up this Styx CD on a whim at a thrift shop a few weeks ago, not expecting much out of it, to be honest, but surprisingly enough it's been a fairly frequent spinner:

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14894260_f520

https://spinditty.com/genres/Classic-Rockers-Styx-Shine-on-Return-to-Paradise

Good Hub, FF! I have this one, but couldn't tell ya the last time I spun it. I do remember liking it, though, and in fact saw them a few years later but without De Young at the helm. I'm in the midst of spinning the new Black Swan disc, Ozzy, and the Helloween box set I got from the wife for my birthday a few weeks back, but I will try to bust this one out for a freshie!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 pm

the sentinel wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I got to the part about the "rapidly dwindling beer supply" and instantly had to comment.

I will run through the 70+ rolls of toilet paper I already had on hand before this madness struck before I run out of beer.  I think I could literally survive for at least 2 years on all the beer I have stockpiled.  There's an advantage to having a "beer cellar" in which to age beers. 

I just wish I had a TP cellar...

Hell yeah. I have 11 bottles of wine to see me through. I have been drinking more wine at home and more beer away from the house.

I'm enjoying a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout right now.

In the past this stuff has been as rare as hen's teeth; you used to have to reserve your 2 bottle limit at your favorite beer store.  This year AB took over the distribution and for the first time in recorded history Anheuser Busch/inBev actually did something good.

This year's batch is great and was readily available even in common grocery stores for about 3 or 4 months.  I must have 50 or 60 of these 1pt.6oz bottles in "The Cellar".  At a hefty 14.7 ABV I'm sure these will age well.

Sounds awesome, brother Toho. You are in St. Louis right?

Yep!  Why, you planning to visit??? Laughing

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 am

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Until I get around to Metal Disease Songs Part II, here's another new one (working from home has increased my productivity, haha)

I picked up this Styx CD on a whim at a thrift shop a few weeks ago, not expecting much out of it, to be honest, but surprisingly enough it's been a fairly frequent spinner:

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14894260_f520

https://spinditty.com/genres/Classic-Rockers-Styx-Shine-on-Return-to-Paradise

Good Hub, FF! I have this one, but couldn't tell ya the last time I spun it. I do remember liking it, though, and in fact saw them a few years later but without De Young at the helm. I'm in the midst of spinning the new Black Swan disc, Ozzy, and the Helloween box set I got from the wife for my birthday a few weeks back, but I will try to bust this one out for a freshie!!

I have the DVD for "Return To Paradise". I bought that probably some time in 2000 or 2001, I think? I remember really enjoying it and watching it sporadically at first. It's been a LONG time since I've watched it. I might have to pull that out again at some point.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I got to the part about the "rapidly dwindling beer supply" and instantly had to comment.

I will run through the 70+ rolls of toilet paper I already had on hand before this madness struck before I run out of beer.  I think I could literally survive for at least 2 years on all the beer I have stockpiled.  There's an advantage to having a "beer cellar" in which to age beers. 

I just wish I had a TP cellar...

Hell yeah. I have 11 bottles of wine to see me through. I have been drinking more wine at home and more beer away from the house.

I'm enjoying a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout right now.

In the past this stuff has been as rare as hen's teeth; you used to have to reserve your 2 bottle limit at your favorite beer store.  This year AB took over the distribution and for the first time in recorded history Anheuser Busch/inBev actually did something good.

This year's batch is great and was readily available even in common grocery stores for about 3 or 4 months.  I must have 50 or 60 of these 1pt.6oz bottles in "The Cellar".  At a hefty 14.7 ABV I'm sure these will age well.

Sounds awesome, brother Toho. You are in St. Louis right?

Yep!  Why, you planning to visit??? Laughing

Not at the moment. Travel restrictions, some sort of virus happening. But I promise to look you up, brother if I am in town. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 pm

On a somewhat related note, DD is doing a 40th Anniversary "Grand Illusion" tour. Good luck with that, sir.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 11:18 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The "Metal Songs about Viruses and Disease" entry is doing so well right now (300+ views so far) that I might do a second one. Very Happy

My "Disease Songs" entry has had more than 1200 views since it was first posted a week ago.

For comparison's sake, the other three articles I've put up in the past week (Shadowkiller, Styx, etc.) each have less than 100.  

So yea, I am definitely doing a Part II ASAP... Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 7:44 am

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14929550_f520

Ten more hard rock songs about viruses and disease to add to your Covid-19 lockdown playlist...

http://hub.me/anoNu

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Nice job, brother Fredo! I have all those songs except for Gwar, and have 9 out of 10 from the first Hub, so I could make a little comp here. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 12:54 pm

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14933070_f520

All the way from Australia, a band called ILIUM was kind enough to hook me up with their new album Carcinogeist and its companion EP, Enviro-Metal.

The album cover looks like a death metal release but they're pretty sweet melodic speed/power metal ala Gamma Ray, Keepers-era Helloween, Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Ilium-Carcinogeist-Album-Review-Australian-Power-Metal

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Good review, Keith. I will look these dudes up soon. Due to my wife's job as an OT, I knew what the word Ilium was, as she throws medical terms around sometimes; but I have no idea what a Carcinogeist is? Maybe a chain smoking ghost?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I have no idea what a Carcinogeist is? Maybe a chain smoking ghost?

Maybe a ghost with cancer? Haha

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
I have no idea what a Carcinogeist is? Maybe a chain smoking ghost?

Maybe a ghost with cancer? Haha

Why do I have the feeling it's something Agents Mulder and Scully would be tracking down ?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm pretty good with medical terms (I had 2 years of pre-med courses in college before I changed majors).  I'm pretty sure "carcinogeist" is a made-up word.

Although you guys took it in a completely different direction from where I was going with it.  I was trying to combine cancer-causing with the word "zeitgeist".

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 am

Banged out a couple of new entries, fueled by furlough-induced boredom:

"The Best of Lita Ford" album review

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14938473_f520

https://spinditty.com/genres/The-Best-of-Lita-Ford-CD-Review

Ranking the Debut Albums of "The Big 4" of Thrash:

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14687447_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Ranking-the-Debut-Albums-of-the-Big-4

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39407

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 1:39 pm

All the debuts by the Big 4 are definitely classics, but for me, the stuff they all subsequently released blew the debuts out of the water. All are great listens, though.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm

FF wrote:

... and "Back To The Cave" (the unsuccessful third single from Lita) is just dull. (True story: I bought a 45 RPM single of "Back to the Cave" when I was a kid, strictly for the smokin' hot photo of Lita on the cover. Even then I thought the song was terrible, so I tossed the record and hung the sleeve on my bedroom wall.)

I didn't throw out my 45 but the only reason I bought it was for the picture of Lita on the sleeve. Laughing As much as I wanted to proudly display it at the top of the pile, I always kept it at the back of my 45 stack for fear of my Mom seeing it and tossing it in the trash. Laughing
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2020 7:12 pm

007 wrote:
All the debuts by the Big 4 are definitely classics, but for me, the stuff they all subsequently released blew the debuts out of the water. All are great listens, though.

100% agree!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Nice job Freddy. Both entries were interesting.

Early on when I first got a CD player, I grabbed up any used cd I could get my hands on for cheap. One of them was that Lita Ford disc. I never owned anything by her previously, so that seemed liked a good grab. Like you however I found it to be kinda lame and got rid of it.

As for the Big 4 debuts, Megadeth and Metallica’s still get regular spins from me. Slayer and Anthrax just weren’t there yet and I find myself reaching for their later output when I want a fix. Not bad albums but better things were on the way.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:20 pm

The longer I'm locked down, the more random album reviews I'm gonna write. Here's my belated take on the new Crashdiet.

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14965211_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Crashdiet-Rust-Album-Review

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 12:58 pm

A conversation about this album on Facebook with our pal Manny inspired me to dust off this CD, which then inspired this look back on it.

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14985961_f520

https://spinditty.com/genres/Revisiting-Dave-Grohls-Probot

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Nice job as always, Freddo.

I think the thing I love most about the whole Probot project is that Dave could've taken the easy way out and just did an album full of radio-friendly covers (back when folks still paid attention to radio). Instead he picked decidedly un-friendly bands to write songs that could've easily fit into their own catalog. And brought in members of said bands to participate.

This album still gets regular spins from me. Love it. Wish he'd do it again.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 7:51 am

The rainy weather this past week gave me plenty o' time to bash out a new entry:

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 14965208_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Refuge-Solitary-Men-Album-Review

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 1:16 pm

First movie-related entry in a while:
Shelter-in-place induced boredom can make a man do strange things, like binge-watch all four movies in "The Substitute" saga:

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 15008391_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/I-Watched-All-Four-Substitute-Movies-So-You-Dont-Have-To

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 2:00 pm

New one:
This is an Omaha, Nebraska (!) based glam/sleaze metal band who were kind enough to send me their album for review. Pretty good stuff.

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. 15007178_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/The-Midnight-Devils-Bring-the-Sleaze-on-Something-Bigger

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm

That sounds right up my alley!  I'll definitely check them out.

PostSubject: Re: My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.   My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My blog on HubPages.com - Reviews of Music, Movies, etc.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next