Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
James B.
7 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Empty
PostSubject: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 12:33 am

13 Questions now (Part One)
13 Questions later (Part Two)

Question 1- AC/DC... Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?
Question 2- Bass Player... Your Top 3?
Question 3- Concert... 5 Best Shows You Attended?
Question 4- Drummer... Your Favorite & Runner Up?
Question 5- Exodus... Is Bonded By Blood their best?
Question 6- Fates Warning... 84-86 or 88-91?
Question 7- Guitar Player... Your Top 5?
Question 8- Helstar... Your 2 Favorite albums?
Question 9- Iron Maiden... S/T or Killers?
Question 10- Judas Priest... 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's or 10's?
Question 11- Loudness, Leathewolf, Lizzie Borden... (pick 1)
Question 12- Metallica & Megadeth... First 4 albums versus First 4 albums?
Question 13- Nevemore... 3 favorite songs?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 10:21 am

Ooh neat-O. I'll play:

1. I got nothin' against Brian and have seen AC/DC with him twice, but at home I tend to reach for the Bon era stuff when I'm in an AC/DC mood.

2. Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, Lemmy

3. Judas Priest/Dokken 1986 (you never forget your first live show)
Ramones 1988
Savatage/Trouble, 1990
Metallica/The Cult, 1989
Raven/Anvil, 1995

4. Igor Cavalera, Marky Ramone

5. Yes.

6. N/A (never been much of a Fates Warning fan)

7. Eddie VH, Billy Duffy (The Cult), Glenn Tipton/KK Downing (does a duo count as "one" or "two" for poll purposes?), Joe Perry

8. Burning Star and Remnants of War

9. Killers, because "Wrathchild."

10. Love all eras of Priest but prefer the 70s/early 80s (pre-SFV) era nowadays.

11. Loudness

12. Metallica

13. Sentient #6, Garden of Gray, Narcosynthesis

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 10:37 am

Boy, am I a dumb@$$ Laughing very hard

Skipped a letter, will include it in part 2!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 12:39 pm

Bon Scott

Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, Joey Vera

Monster Of Rock, KISS/Accept (my first KISS show), Iron Maiden/Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Stanley solo, Ghost/Nothing More

Charlie Benante, Scott Travis

No. I prefer Pleasures Of The Flesh

84-86 I guess

Ace Frehley, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi. Chris Impellitteri, Axel Rudi Pell

Nosferatu and The King Of Hell

Self titled

80s

Loudness

Tough one. I'll go with Metallica

Dreaming Neon Black, Matricide, Sea Of Possibilites
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 2:37 pm

1. Bon Scott
2. Geezer Butler, Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan
3. KISS - Reunion Tour
Ozzy Osbourne/Metallica
Clash Of The Titans (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Alice In Chains)
Badlands, and Saraya
Testament, Wrathchild America and Annilhilator
4. Bill Ward
Runner up is Dave Lombardo
5. YES!!!
6. '84-'86
7. Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Michael Schenker, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads
8. Burning Star and Remnants Of War
9. Killers
10. 80's
11. Loudness
12. Metallica
13. Next In Line, Inside Four Walls, Dreaming Neon Black

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 4:16 pm

This will take some time, but I'm in. I just need a glass of whiskey and some good tunes.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 6:11 pm

I am not a massive fan, my opinion matters little. I have two CDs by each. I don't even really know which one I truly prefer. I guess, body of work, I take Brian. I prefer Nazareth.

I don't have a top 3. I like Marco Hietala. I think Frank Bello is the most entertaining live bassist. Geddy Lee, great sounding Rickenbacker. That's three, I guess. Are we good? Blackie Lawless is a great songwriter.

This was the hardest one. I've seen multiple hundred live shows. Festivals all summer long for a decade at least. And all the clubs in Helsinki, every weekend. I don't know. Iced Earth was one, with Matt Barlow, circa 2001. Then probably shows I got laid at. So many things factor into a good night. Gamma Ray was awesome, I've seen them many times. Not sure which show was my favourite. Kai Hansen is my man-crush. I have fond memories of going to a Slayer mosh pit. I've seen Slayer many times. But were they really that great live? Not sure. I didn't pay attention. But they did put on a good show. Alice Cooper is one, too. He is who he is because of his live shows. One more? Make it Blaze Bayley. Great charisma. Setting was very intimate. Got a photo with the man after the show. I was pretty drunk so I don't know if the performance was that tight, but who cares? It certainly beat the performance I saw Maiden put out when they toured with him. A special mention to all the hair/glam/pop shows with pretty young girls, who were desperate to find a companion for the night. There were many. How is that not a "best show?".

Well, this is Cozy Powell. Runner-up? I don't know. Who stands out? Uli Kusch, though I hear he is a dick. No, let's say Mikkey Dee. The favourite musician of my late best friend.

I have not heard them all! Bonded By Blood is probably the best I have heard, so... yes? That one or Shovel-Headed Killing Machine. No, I will not listen to all Exodus albums just for this poll. I like them, but I'm not a big fan.

I think Ray Alder is the "better" singer, but I'm not so sure about this. I'm also not massively educated on Fates Warning. I have two 2CDs from each singer. Just like with AC/DC! Parallels was my first 'Warning CD and I got it in my teens, so it holds a special place. I'm sticking with 88-91.

Well this is a whole 'nother topic. Like with drummers, I can't do 5. I'll just throw out some names. Alex Skolnick, you all know I love him. Criss Oliva forever and ever. His work is why I love heavy metal as much as I do. Michael Schenker is my hero. A wunder kid. Is that five? No? Ritchie Blackmore was my inspiration for getting a Stratocaster. Mick Box is another hero of mine. Zakk Wylde, Alexi Laiho, more recent influential players. Nuno deserves to be mentioned. Mick Box. EVH. If it's just five, skip everyone and go with whatever I listened to currently. The 5 best live shows question drained me out of actually thinking about this and narrowing it down enough, sorry.

I only own 3 Helstar full length albums (on CD). Nosferatu is my favourite. A Distant Thunder next best? I haven't heard them all.

I was always a S/T guy. Was and still am. Phantom of the Opera.

70's. Stained Class is their best work. Or 80's, because of Defenders & Vengeance, but as a whole, it's the 70's.

Uneducated pick... Lizzie Borden. It's the closest to my taste in music, though Loudness are also awesome and legendary and all. Leatherwolf I never dove deep into.

Metallica. Rust in Peace is probably the best of the bunch, but 4 albums means all 4 albums. No wait. I don't even like ...And Justice For All that much. I switch. It's Megadeth. Today.

Well, this is absolutely one of my favourite bands ever. Just 3. Let's do this: Believe in Nothing. No More Will. Inside Four Walls. This is the kind of restraint I should have shown in my other answers. I blame the whiskey.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Question 1- AC/DC... Bon Scott or Brian Johnson? Bon

Steve DiGiorgio, Tony Choy and Roger Patterson

Iron Maiden/VVI 1986, Minneapolis Mayhem 1, Sepultura/Obituary/Sadus 1990, Milwaukee Metalfest 1997, Morbid Angel/At the Gates/Dissection 1996

Benny Larson (Edge of Sanity) and Dave Lombardo

I guess so

84-86

James Murphy, Steve Vai, George Lynch, Chris Garcia (AoB), Glen Tipton

Nosferatu, King of Hell

KILLERS

70's

Question 11- Loudness, Leatherwolf, Lizzie Borden... (pick 1)
Loudness

NEITHER

Question 13- Nevermore... 3 favorite songs?
"What Tomorrow Knows", "The River Dragon Has Come", and Garden of Gray"
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 10:52 pm

Question 1- AC/DC... Bon Scott or Brian Johnson? Bon Scott, but love Brian also.

Question 2- Bass Player... Your Top 3? Cliff Burton, Lemmy, Geezer Butler

1) New Years Evil: Soulfly, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth, and the first time I saw the original Black Sabbath lineup live.
2) Megadeth opening for Dio during the Dream Evil tour.
3) Judas Priest, Nostradamus tour, front row standing right in front of Glenn Tipton. He also handed me a pic.
4) Metallica opening for Ozzy. Ozzy was touring for Ultimate sin, and Metallica was promoting Master of Puppets, about two months before Cliff died.
5) Roger Waters, The Wall. Phenomenal show, we caught it twice.

Question 4- Drummer... Your Favorite & Runner Up? Favorite, Dave Lombardo. Runner up, and much more talented by far, Niel Peart.

Question 5- Exodus... Is Bonded By Blood their best? Is that a trick question? I rate it top ten album by any band.

Question 6- Fates Warning... 84-86 or 88-91? None, never cared for them.

Question 7- Guitar Player... Your Top 5? Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhodes, David Gilmour, Tony Iommi, and Eddie Van Halen

Question 8- Helstar... Your 2 Favorite albums? Never got into them, don't have one.

Question 9- Iron Maiden... S/T or Killers? Killers

Question 10- Judas Priest... 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's or 10's? Impossible choice, but have to go with the 70's, 80's right there with them though.

Question 11- Loudness, Leathewolf, Lizzie Borden... (pick 1) Lizzie Borden

Question 12- Metallica & Megadeth... First 4 albums versus First 4 albums? Megadeth

Question 13- Nevemore... 3 favorite songs? None, hate that band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One   The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 123's & ABC's of Hard Rock/Metal Part One
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: