Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Personal Preference #10

Go down 
+8
Glower
nevermore
Gilbert
Lari
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
12 posters

Act III or Time Does Not Heal?
Act III
Personal Preference #10 Vote_lcap43%Personal Preference #10 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 6 ]
Time Does Not Heal
Personal Preference #10 Vote_lcap57%Personal Preference #10 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Personal Preference #10 Empty
PostSubject: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 am

Two thrash albums. Two great albums. Two bands with “Angel” in their name. Two bands abbreviated DA.

Which is your favorite?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 11:36 am

No contest…

I like both albums, but TDNH is a heavyweight powerhouse while Act III is more on the lightweight commercial side.

MetallicSeminarian likes this post

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 11:45 am

I have never heard Time Does Not Heal, so.....

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 am

This was tough, but I had to go with TDNH. Act III is flat-out great, and depending on my mood I’d probably rather listen to it. But TDNH is just a master-class riff fest.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Darkness Descends!!! Oh that's not an option? \'arry \'eadbanger

Time Does not Heal is my pick, great album. Keep waiting for that new one they talked about a few years ago.

Last edited by Wrecked Neck on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Troublezone and MetallicSeminarian like this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Curious, I just put Time Does Not Heal on from Youtube so I can check it out.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 pm

007 wrote:
I have never heard Time Does Not Heal, so.....

YouTube is your friend lol

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 1:45 pm

I sampled two songs from each... 

...and ended up ordering the CDs. It's the season to give yourself gifts, and these were not expensive. But these threads ARE getting expensive if there are many more of these coming. I mean I already bought two Flotsam and Jetsam CDs because of them.

I only knew the Death Angel debut, and kind of didn't think they were for me. But Act III is a very different sounding thing altogether.

MetallicSeminarian, Glower and Wrecked Neck like this post

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Lari wrote:

...and ended up ordering the CDs. It's the season to give yourself gifts, and these were not expensive. But these threads ARE getting expensive if there are many more of these coming. I mean I already bought two Flotsam and Jetsam CDs because of them.

I only knew the Death Angel debut, and kind of didn't think they were for me. But Act III is a very different sounding thing altogether.

My work here is done. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 2:38 pm

Act III.

I actually own both albums on cd, but i haven't spinned TDNH in years. Better revisit it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 2:41 pm

Lari wrote:

God knows how many albums i have bought, thanks to these threads.

I have built entire discographies.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Act III gets my vote. It still gets pretty regular spins from me. The Dark Angel album is great too. But I prefer Darkness Descends.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 4:36 pm

I didn't actually know either of these bands did music this good.

And that's a different singer Dark Angel has that I know. Shows how much I was into (lesser pushed) thrash metal albums. I've listened through the classics long ago (Darkness Descends & Ultra-Violence), but the thing is, neither of these two bands ever moved the needle much for me. I even saw Death Angel live. There are a lot of metal albums in general that fans rave about that don't get to me even if I try.

But I guess it shows you can't judge a band by one (highly touted) album, right? Don't ignore them just that easily. Maybe your personal taste finds a different album enjoyable. Yes, not everything is for everyone and there are a thousand bands doing the exact same thing so you can't focus on all equally. BUT both these bands were popular, and also both changed direction, slightly. I should have taken notice. I do enjoy technical thrash, and maybe I'm just a little picky on vocals (I still struggle with Exodus, and I love the music). The Death Angel guy sounds a lot better here on Act III. I guess he just matured. And Dark Angel has an actual good lead singer this time.

With the Overkill box set, the Flotsam & Jetsam discs, and Annihilator using Stu Block (I've been a huge fan of Annihilator in the past, but dropped out after 2004), this is going to be a retro thrash Christmas for me. And I also just got into Onslaught this year. Probably others I forgot.

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Time Does Not Heal.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 am

Lari wrote:
And I also just got into Onslaught this year. Probably others I forgot.
Love Onslaught, Power from Hell is probably my favorite from them, though most people I've heard seem to like The Force better. I have one of their newer ones too, and it's pretty damn good also. Need to finish up their discography myself here soon.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 2:16 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Lari wrote:
And I also just got into Onslaught this year. Probably others I forgot.
Love Onslaught, Power from Hell is probably my favorite from them, though most people I've heard seem to like The Force better. I have one of their newer ones too, and it's pretty damn good also. Need to finish up their discography myself here soon.

Onslaught are awesome. I still need to get their debut and last album.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 6:42 pm

Time does not Heal is the best thing Dark Angel ever did. It’s just awesome riff after riff. Act III is a great album too but Dark Angel gets the nod on this one.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 pm

Time Does Not Heal has my vote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Dig the riffs on TDNH, but Act III is way more interesting musically. <--(IMHDO)

Personal Preference #10 Th?id=OIP.Mf8_L3e01kyREFChW4XK_gEsDG&w=299&h=198&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Lari wrote:

Well, Act III arrived. Sort of...

Personal Preference #10 Deathc10

Personal Preference #10 Deathc11

Friggin' Amazon!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Lari wrote:
Lari wrote:

Friggin' Amazon!

lol!

How the hell did they do that?
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm

Lari wrote:
Lari wrote:

Friggin' Amazon!

Oh wow that's kinda funny lol I've had that happen at used record stores, but never at Amazon. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Just imagine the grandma who puts on his new Johnny Cash CD....
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Never happened to me before. Damn!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 9:32 am

Time Does Not Heal for me. Riffs for days!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference #10   Personal Preference #10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Personal Preference #10
Page 1 of 1