Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?

Go down 
+4
Smindas
krokus
Temple of Blood
mc666
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Empty
PostSubject: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:23 am

You'll have to register, but you can read the thread here. The botton two quotes are from Jon's wife:

http://www.chriscaffery.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Quote :
Criss Oliva was in fact approached by Megadeth back in the day. Criss also applied for a job with Poison when they were looking for a guitarist. Jon was also almost the singer for Black Sabbath. There were times when the brother's Oliva were close to giving up on Savatage or at least putting it on the back burner to try their fortunes elsewhere, but when one would start to head that way, the other would call him up and persuade the other brother to stick with Savatage.

Quote :
I have the last version of the resume, with Criss' handwritten "scratch outs" (edits) on it. It was given to me several years ago by Dawn Oliva.

Quote :
Dave Mustaine was "dwarf tossed" out of a hotel room and into the hallway by Jon. He slammed up against the door across the hallway, which happened to be Criss Oliva's room. Criss heard the noise, opened the door, saw Mustaine in the hallway and Jon at the doorway, started laughing and then closed the door. Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_wink

And for the record, the "beating" had nothing to do with Mustaine trying to "poach" Criss.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:33 am

i registered but haven't been activated yet. i can only reply to what you quoted here. nothing in the first quote surprises me. both of the brothers were/are extremely gifted.

the last quote i couldn't care less about. it has nothing to do with anything imho.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 5:01 am

I've never heard that Jon was "almost" in BLACK SABBATH. The rest of the story may be true, but I tend to doubt that one part.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:15 am

SLASH tried out for POISON too but the day he was playing for them, CC came in with makeup on and they were looking for somebody like that, with a image and SLASH didnt had the image they were looking for. (this is in the SLASH biografi i am reading right now).
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 7:17 am

I'd heard about Criss being approached for Megadeth, but I had no idea he tried out for Poison. Also, that last story reminds me of varioius anecdotes I've heard regarding Jon and Mustaine - apparently the two tore it up fairly often.

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I've never heard that Jon was "almost" in BLACK SABBATH. The rest of the story may be true, but I tend to doubt that one part.

Jon says it himself in this interview Kong posted the other day:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/jon-oliva-s-pain-new-podcast-available-t6379.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 am

Quote :
the last quote i couldn't care less about. it has nothing to do with anything imho.

Actually, that thread is about dave trying to get Criss to join Megadeth. The Poison thing is just a side note.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 am

Yikes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 1:08 pm

What was Criss thinking trying out for Poison?!?....glad that never worked out.

Thats cool though how Jon and Criss would keep each other interested in Savatage though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Quote :
What was Criss thinking trying out for Poison?!?....

I'm guessing it had something to do with Jon not singing with the band anymore. The timeline of CC leaving the band and that kind of add up.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 1:30 pm

An odd pairing for sure, but I guess that depends on how you look at the situation at the time. If we're talking about before Poison hit the big time, Criss, like so many other guitarists, was probably just looking for a steady gig. If we're talking about the later years, when CC decided he didn't want to unskinny bop with Bret and the boys on stage anymore, well then, here's my theory.

Savatage the band was on shaky grounds and never really hit that plateau of "platinum-super-duper-rock-star-fame". Poison, on the other hand, was plastered all over the magazines, selling out stadiums, plenty of MTV airplay and were selling millions & millions of albums. When the musical tides started to turn and the LA glam scene seemed passe, Poison, like so many other hair bands at the time, tried to go in a more serious or mature direction (aka Native Tongue). Perhaps, and of course this is all speculation on my part, Criss thought he could help steer Poison in that new direction and therefore getting 2 things in return, 1.) turning Poison into something more respectable in the eyes of the public and the music industry and B.) finally getting himself a piece of that rock-star platinum pie.

I guess we'll never know the real reasons, but I just wanted to type up something in this topic to avoid doing real work today. Score one for me!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 1:59 pm

Thank God it never happened. (shudders)
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:02 pm

I'd heard about Criss and Megadeth. But had never heard about him trying out for Poison or about Jon singing for Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?   Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did anybody here know that Criss Oliva tried out for Poison?
Page 1 of 1