Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?

Go down 
+23
Metallian2008
Leatherface
John Madden
Glower
corplhicks
Rami Airola
Mglaffas81
ZombieHavoc
manny
brokentulsa
nevermore
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Witchfinder
CRIMSONMASK
Lari
the sentinel
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 12:03 pm

The first album I ever bought was ...And Justice For All on CD when I was 11/12 in a local music shop that closed down around 2009 - it still ranks as one of my all-time favourite.

Last edited by Mglaffas81 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 pm

the sentinel wrote:
*My fave medium of the three was cassette. I just loved the portability and compartmentalization of it. I went to a private high school and we wore shirt and tie and it was sort of a "thing" for the Rockers to have a cassette in your breast pocket. It started well before I got there in 1988 as I remember one of the seniors coming in to our home room the first week of school and he had "Surfing with the Alien" clearly visible through his white shirt.

Cassette has always been my favorite. I never stopped buying them, even when CDs dominated. I of course buy CDs and vinyl, as both are technically superior to cassette, but I will always love them.

Part of it is nostalgia, since that's what I was buying when first getting into music. But I also always loved the sound and feel of them. In 7th grade, I had a cassette in the inside pocket of my denim jacket at all times. If I had a newly acquired tape, it would be that one. If not, it'd be one of my faves. No one saw it, but I just liked having them there and listening to the sound they made when I moved around.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:48 pm

I liked making mix tapes. Too bad I don't have many of them left. I used to give them away after awhile.

I'd love to see what was on my "BEST SONGS EVER!!" tapes from the 90's.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm

First cassette:
Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame - Volume XVIII
I was 7 years old. We were at a department store and I was allowed to buy whatever I wanted with a certain small amount of money. Went through a bin of cheap cassettes for sale and got this one. I LOVED IT!
We were at our summer cabin on a summer vacation and I played this over and over again in our car. Hold On I'm Coming, Love Potion Number 9 and Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying are still some of my all time favorite songs.
What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Rockan10

Ok, then the first CD Very Happy
DANCE DELUXE
I was 12 years old. We were at some store, getting my first CD player and I was able to get one cheap enough CD with me and that's what I chose. headbanger
What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Danced10

Don't be afraid though. The second CD I bought was Manowar's The Triumph of Steel.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
I had a bunch of 8tracks...blackfoot, cheap trick, kiss, ted nugent, hendrix, van halen, etc.

Cassette...led zeppelin
Vinyl....sweet desolation blvd
Cd... pantera I am the night import

Was I am the night ever officially released on cd?

Nope. Cassette and LP only.

Exactly. All cd releases are bootlegs.

Yup. Bit they all sound pretty good and the prices have come way down. That's such a great album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 6:42 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
*My fave medium of the three was cassette. I just loved the portability and compartmentalization of it. I went to a private high school and we wore shirt and tie and it was sort of a "thing" for the Rockers to have a cassette in your breast pocket. It started well before I got there in 1988 as I remember one of the seniors coming in to our home room the first week of school and he had "Surfing with the Alien" clearly visible through his white shirt.

Cassette has always been my favorite. I never stopped buying them, even when CDs dominated. I of course buy CDs and vinyl, as both are technically superior to cassette, but I will always love them.

Part of it is nostalgia, since that's what I was buying when first getting into music. But I also always loved the sound and feel of them. In 7th grade, I had a cassette in the inside pocket of my denim jacket at all times. If I had a newly acquired tape, it would be that one. If not, it'd be one of my faves. No one saw it, but I just liked having them there and listening to the sound they made when I moved around.

Ezactly! Man, I honestly love hearing stories like that. headbanger
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Lari wrote:
I liked making mix tapes. Too bad I don't have many of them left. I used to give them away after awhile.

I'd love to see what was on my "BEST SONGS EVER!!" tapes from the 90's.

Same here, brother. It would have been a cool trip down memory lane!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Yeah I was the same way. I kept buying cassettes even when CD’s we’re taking over. I didn’t even have a cd or CD player til the mid 90’s.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 pm

I hate cassette tapes. I had a ton of em too. F’em. A crap format that I don’t miss one bit. I’d be more nostalgic for Edison wax cylinders playing ‘Brother Can You Spare a Dime”.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 2:03 am

My first cassette tape was my own recording of our local rock & metal radio station. As I've stated in other past threads, I still have this tape. It was my first exposure to the scene.

First "purchased" tape was the soundtrack to St Elmo's fire. I still play that album to this day.

First vinyl was Ozzy Osbourne's Diary of a Madman.

First CD was World Party's Goodbye Jumbo. For a non-metal disc it's quite good.

Not sure what my first rock/metal CD was. Van Halen's FUCK, maybe?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Yeah I was the same way. I kept buying cassettes even when CD’s we’re taking over. I didn’t even have a cd or CD player til the mid 90’s.

Oddly enough, I didn't own a car with a CD player until 2009, so I had to keep buying and using used cassettes. It was either that or shitty FM Rock radio.

It was around the turn of the century when I stumbled across a small car stereo installation place that was blowing out brand new tapes for cheap. I had initially gone there looking for an estimate on putting a system in my car and saw the wall of tapes on clearance. I grabbed a ton of stuff (some I still have unopened) figuring it was gonna be at least five more years before I had a CD player in the car. I pretty much bought the whole Hard Rock and Metal section out for under $50. Most stuff was a dollar or less. I still have some unopened Queensryche, Dio, Dokken, and Ozzy from that day.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 7:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:
My first cassette tape was my own recording of our local rock & metal radio station. As I've stated in other past threads, I still have this tape. It was my first exposure to the scene.

First "purchased" tape was the soundtrack to St Elmo's fire. I still play that album to this day.

First vinyl was Ozzy Osbourne's Diary of a Madman.

First CD was World Party's Goodbye Jumbo. For a non-metal disc it's quite good.

Not sure what my first rock/metal CD was. Van Halen's FUCK, maybe?

headbanger What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 6:00 am

My first CD - was two purchased CDs. By Frank Sinatra.

"September of my Years"

"Only the Lonely"
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Glower wrote:
My first CD - was two purchased CDs. By Frank Sinatra.

"September of my Years"

"Only the Lonely"

Im an Italian guy born in Providence RI, I likes me some of the Chairman!
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 9:17 am

My first cassette was Ratt's Invasion of your Privacy. I bought it off some kid from High school with no case for the pricely sum of 5 dollars.

Pretty sure my first cd was Master of Puppets.

I never really got into vinyl. I bought a few a couple of years ago, including Kyuss's Sky Valley, Metal Massacre 9, and Dr.Know's Wreckage in Flesh all about the same time. I stopped though, because while the format is awesome, I would never get a record player. If it's something I love, I might buy it though. I love my copies of Creeping Death, and Nuclear Assault's The Plague for that very reason....
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 9:35 am

Vinyl:none
Cassette:Def Leppard-Pyromania(I think, it's been a long time)
CD:Anthrax-Sound of White Noise
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Metallian2008
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metallian2008

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 12:30 am

All 3 were AC/DC actually

LP - AC/DC Flick Of The Switch
Cassette - AC/DC Back In Black
CD - AC/DC Who Made Who
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 12:55 am

School's Out on vinyl as a new release
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 1:08 am

First Cassette was Meat Loaf-Bad Attitude. Still have that tape.
First cd was Aerosmith-S/T.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 11:10 am

The small vinyl collection I had ( around 25 albums or so) I sold off in 1993 or so at a family yard sale. The old stereo I had (you know the ones with the speakers the size of a refrigerator but have about 5 watts each and were more for show) finally crapped out and I wasn't spending the money to buy another one. LP's were kinda on the way out anyway (as well as tapes, too) and CD's were becoming the dominant medium.

My best friend and I met in 1990 and he had about 500 or so cassettes (I owned probably about 200) and he had made the decision to transfer everything over to CD. So, of course, he starts selling off tapes to get the money up for discs. I bought some from him. But, I wasn't really interested in the vinyl. He also had maybe a hundred or so albums left over from when he transferred everything over to cassette years earlier. Unfortunately, his taste in music has never been the same. He went from Hard Rock and Metal into Pop and Radio Rock and to this day has never gone back. No biggie, to each their own; but, I honestly can't imagine a day where I don't want to hear Priest, Maiden, or Saxon.

So, this morning I counted up my vinyl - I have 325 total records; probably about 250 or so different titles as I own a lot of 2 and 3 LP sets and box sets. I have grown to like the idea/concept of vinyl more than I ever have in the past. I am just not in love with the price; especially that of a single record versus a 2 or 3 record set. I don't really fault the retailers, I fault the manufacturers and wholesalers as I have a friend who owns a local record shop (and has for over 30 years) and I have a good idea of what the retailers pay and then have to ask the public for.

I may be halting the vinyl buying for the foreseeable future as I just don't see paying $20-25 plus tax and shipping for a single LP when I can buy a 2-3 LP set for a few bucks more than that. Or 2-3 CD's for that amount of money. Also, there would be a lot of "triple dipping" or more on certain titles. Think about how many times we all have bought the same titles of Ozzy, Metallica, Dio, Or Motorhead through the years on re release, anniversaries, bonus disc editions, etc. The vinyl resurgence has been here the last 15 years or so, I feel as though the prices should have come down more by now. I shouldn't walk in to a Newbury Comics and see them have to ask thirty bucks for Dr. Feelgood.

Sorry for long post. Just a Sunday morning with some tunes and a mug of black coffee. Smile

Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 3:06 am

First vinyl: Rolling Stones- Tattoo You and Blues Brothers - Briefcase full of Blues for my 11th birthday.

First cassette: Blizzard of Ozz and Fair Warning [traded my step dads Alice Cooper and Led Zep albums]

First cd: Bang Tango - Psycho Cafe [still the best of the Strip, if you ask me]
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 8:32 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
First vinyl:  Rolling Stones- Tattoo  You and Blues Brothers - Briefcase full of Blues for my 11th birthday.

First cassette:  Blizzard of Ozz and Fair Warning [traded my step dads Alice Cooper and Led Zep albums]

First cd: Bang Tango - Psycho Cafe [still the best of the Strip, if you ask me]

Some good pick ups there, Brother John!!!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 11:41 am

First L.P "Pyromania". It was the only one I had forever, until I started my initiation into vinyl last year. Received Pyromania from my parents for Christmas of '83.

First cassette: It was either "Shout at the Devil" or "Bark at the Moon". My father joined Columbia House and asked if I wanted one, maybe it was two? I might have gotten them at the same time? I think I got both by the spring or summer of '84. Otherwise, I was sitting in my room by my dual cassette deck, waiting for a song to be played on the radio. Ah...the good old days

First C.D came at Christmas in 1988. I received my Sanyo system and tall speakers, which came with tuner, record player, equalizer, and dual cassette deck thingy. Also received "Pyromania", "Hysteria", "Kill 'em All", "Ride The Lightning", "Master of Puppets", "...And Justice For All" and "Reign In Blood" on that same day. I still laugh, when I think about either my mother or my father perusing the metal aisle at N.R.M., Musicland or the local store Appletree Records. They all came in those classic long card board boxes, which though cool, was sort of stupid when one thinks about it. Quite possibly my favorite Christmas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2