Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?

Go down 
+23
Metallian2008
Leatherface
John Madden
Glower
corplhicks
Rami Airola
Mglaffas81
ZombieHavoc
manny
brokentulsa
nevermore
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Witchfinder
CRIMSONMASK
Lari
the sentinel
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Empty
PostSubject: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 pm

I am asking about Rock and Metal here. I don't want to hear about you getting 101 Spooky sounds or Kermit the Frog covers ABBA. You can give a quick anecdote if ya want, or not. It's all bueno, I'll go first:

Album - Rush - Fly By Night. I was 8 when my (now deceased) Uncle gave me some records that he didn't want to take with him when he moved out of my grandparent's house. He gave me a few, but Sabbath and the Coop scared the crap out of me, and I thought the cover of this one was so cool so I played the heck out of it.

Cassette - Van Halen - 1984. VH was everywhere when I was 10 and I just had to have this thing. It, of course, led to getting the rest of the catalog and it was like nothing I had ever heard before. I distinctly remember going to a store called "Music and..." and paying with my saved up allowance money.

CD - Dream Theater - Images and Words/ Fates Warning - Parallels. I really can't remember. I didn't get a CD player until I came home from my first year of college in 1993. That summer, I got one and started the CD collection.

*My fave medium of the three was cassette. I just loved the portability and compartmentalization of it. I went to a private high school and we wore shirt and tie and it was sort of a "thing" for the Rockers to have a cassette in your breast pocket. It started well before I got there in 1988 as I remember one of the seniors coming in to our home room the first week of school and he had "Surfing with the Alien" clearly visible through his white shirt.

So, what ya' got HoM?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 pm

I don't do vinyl or tapes.

First CDs were 1994/1995 (Christmas time or maybe later that winter, like January - bought with Christmas money anyway)

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Metallica - the Black Album
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 11:15 pm

Album- KISS Alive II
Cassette- Ozzy Blizzard of Ozz
CD- Pantera Cowboys From Hell
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Album - Def Leppard - Pyromania (I still have it)
Cassette - Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love (long gone!)
CD - Judas Priest - Metal Works - '73-'93 (I still have it)
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Album - Motorhead Ace of Spades

Cassette - Not 100% sure as I didn't really do tapes. My logic was if you bought the record and then recorded onto a blank, you had both Very Happy But I did have Iron Maiden Killers, Blizzard of Oz and Scorpions Lovedrive early on but which was first I don't remember.

CD - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 am

Witchfinder wrote:

That's a great compilation and also my introduction to Judas Priest. I borrowed it from a public library and then moved on to buying individual albums. Jugulator was my first Priest album I bought new, but that was later.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 1:13 am

No reason idea what my first cassette tape was. One of my first "rock" lps I remember wanting was Michael Jackson, Beat It. I liked the video, plus I thought it was cool that Eddie Van Halen did a solo on it. First CD is easy, and that was AC/DC Highway to Hell. Only reason I remember that is cause my very religious grandmother bought it for me and I was shocked she picked it out because of the title and cover. This was,a woman that almost cried when she saw one of my Judas Priest albums. What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? 604261
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 4:29 am

Cassette: Gun N Roses' Appetite for Destruction.

Cd: White Lion's best of.

Don't own any vinyl so far. Will eventually add some to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 am

Never had vinyl.

First cassette: Hall and Oats - Big Bam Boom. First hard rock cassette: KISS - Smashes Thrashes and Hits

First CD: no idea... probably something from the (12 for $1) Columbia House music club.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 am

First vinyl LP: N/A (never collected LPs)

First cassette: AC/DC Let There Be Rock (Xmas present 1981)

First CD: I'm not 100 percent sure, but it may have been Metallica's Kill'Em All to replace my beat-to-hell tape.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

First vinyl : Ace Frehley 1978 solo album ( a 10th birthday gift from my parents which I still have)

First cassette : Quiet Riot - Metal Health ( a Christmas gift from my brother as my parents bought me a boombox for Christmas that same year, both are no longer in my possession)

First CD : KISS - (Music From) The Elder (bought this on a work trip to Tampa FL back in 1989, even before I had my Pioneer stereo that was on layaway. I still own both)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Never had any metal on vinyl. I did have a few hand me downs from my dad’s collection, like Beatles and Hendrix.

Tape? I seem to remember buying a few used Aerosmith tapes at a flea market when I was in high school. Some Zeppelin maybe too.

CD? I remember it like it was yesterday. I bought my first CD player at Silo Appliances, then went right to Tower records and bought 3 cds...

Ozzy-Blizzard of Ozz
GnR-Appetite for Destruction
Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic

I still have the Ozzy and GnR cds. I ditched the Aero-disc when I upgraded to the Box of Fire set.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 4:54 pm

How bout 8 track? Lol! I remember having AC/DC- Back in Black on 8 track!

Cassette- Quiet Riot- Condition Critical

CD- Stryper- To Hell with the Devil

Vinyl-Stryper- THWTD(picture disc)
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank you all for the awesome responses; it was a fun read and pretty varied too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:

I did have a few 8 tracks that I found while rummaging through the basement at my grandparent's house. This was in the mid to late 1980's but they still played. I remember having Van Halen 2, Back In Black, and ZZ Top's Fandango. I played the heck out of the VH as we had a big entertainment center that played vinyl, cassette, and 8 track with a big cut out middle section for the TV to fit into.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26452

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm

First album was Kiss "Love Gun"
First cassette was Quiet Riot "Metal Health"
First cd was Jimi Hendrix "At The BBC"
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:

I've listened to a few 8 tracks in my day but never actually owned any. I wondered up with my grandmother's old cabinet stereo and it has an 8 track player with it. I have no idea if it works though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 3:44 am

I had a bunch of 8tracks...blackfoot, cheap trick, kiss, ted nugent, hendrix, van halen, etc.

Cassette...led zeppelin
Vinyl....sweet desolation blvd
Cd... pantera I am the night import
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 am

brokentulsa wrote:
I had a bunch of 8tracks...blackfoot, cheap trick, kiss, ted nugent, hendrix, van halen, etc.

Cassette...led zeppelin

Was I am the night ever officially released on cd?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 8:30 am

I collected vinyl as a kid and first vinyl release I bought and owned was AC/DC-Highway to Hell

cassette: AC/DC- If You Want Blood You've Got It, I did not collect cassettes but this one I stole from my older brother

CD- Mother Love Bone-Apple and I still own it
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 am

Gilbert wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Cassette...led zeppelin

Nope. Cassette and LP only.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 am

Lari wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's a great compilation and also my introduction to Judas Priest. I borrowed it from a public library and then moved on to buying individual albums. Jugulator was my first Priest album I bought new, but that was later.

Very cool. What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? 604261
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 10:27 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Lari wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Very cool. What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? 604261

I bought Metal Works on tape originally. It was more-or-less my introduction to Priest too. I knew the hits, but never owned anything. I'd eventually upgrade to the cd version which I still have as well.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 11:59 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Cassette...led zeppelin

Nope. Cassette and LP only.

Exactly. All cd releases are bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 12:57 pm

First cassette I was given as a gift was the Ghostbusters soundtrack for my 7th birthday. First I bought with my own money was Joan Jett's Up Your Alley.

First LP...my dad had records I listened to, but the first that was actually mine was: I bought 3 at a yard sale in 7th grade: Back in Black, Alice Cooper's Flush the Fashion and I Love Rock N' Roll.

First CD: I got a CD player for my 15th birthday, in 1993. I was buying CDs for a couple months before hand. My first 3 CDs I got at one time from the music store at the mall were: The Byrds' Greatest Hits; Paul McCartney Tripping the Live Fanstastic and Ozzy's No More Tears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?   What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What was your First Album, Cassette, and CD?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next