Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 2020's eh?

Go down 
+17
Wrecked Neck
the sentinel
nevermore
scottmitchell74
ZombieHavoc
metalinmyveins
Glower
Lari
Leatherface
Troublezone
Gilbert
Hadley
7thSecond
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Boris2008
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What Decade are we going to?
60's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap5%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
70's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap15%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
80's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap75%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 75% [ 15 ]
90's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap5%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
00's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap0%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
10's
The 2020's eh? Vote_lcap0%The 2020's eh? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 11:06 pm

We are just 2 1/2 months into this decade and I think that we can all agree that it's utter shit! lame

If we can somehow survive the homicidal virus, fires, storms,hurricanes and Greta Thunberg, we will have to deal with the financial fall out of all of this, so I suggest building a time machine back to happier times.

So vote where we are going and give a musical reason why (ie.. post a video)

My vote is for the 60's! Great time for music and a load of greatness to come!  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 pm

I voted before I read you wanted a "musical reason" why.

I voted the 70s because I graduated high school in 1978 and my next four years at college were the most fun years of my life. 

But I guess since you wanted a musical reason I'd go with this:

This album came out during my junior year.  I remember going to the record store, buying "On Thru The Night", playing it LOUD and people in the dorm asking me who the band was. When I told them it was a band called "Def Leppard" everyone laughed; "What kind of stupid name is that for a band?????"

Then this album dropped and people stopped laughing.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Great thread idea BTW

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 pm

The 80’s of course! What better decade for good times and great music?

Last edited by Thrasher73 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Not even close! The 80's for sure!!!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am

The 80s. I was only a child through most of the decade (though I was aware of most of the bands in the later half of the decade, loved Whitesnake, Def Leppard, and GNR), so it would be nice to experience them knowing what we know now.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:55 am

Great poll!!!

My vote goes for the 80's. Great years for metal headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 am

Definitely the 80’s.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 2:11 am

80's
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 am

The 80s obviously. The golden years of metal.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 am

One of those decades during the millenium ancient Rome was a thing. Gladiator fights, new discoveries, cool gods, good food.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 am

007 wrote:
The 80s obviously.  The golden years of metal.

headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am

I lived the 1980s. Age 16 to age 26.
The thing that strikes me, was how many thingsI missed out on.
Basically the concerts and the movies. Etc.
The 80s were diverse too - with many other great musicians too.
It was like a bomb dropped ! Parties everywhere.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 10:45 am

Boris2008 wrote:
We are just 2 1/2 months into this decade and I think that we can all agree that it's utter shit! lame

If we can somehow survive the homicidal virus, fires, storms,hurricanes and Greta Thunberg, we will have to deal with the financial fall out of all of this, so I suggest building a time machine back to happier times.

So vote where we are going and give a musical reason why (ie.. post a video)

My vote is for the 60's! Great time for music and a load of greatness to come!  Very Happy

To each their own, but a Presidential assassination, MLK assassinated, Bobby Kennedy Assassinated, Medgar Evers Assassinated, Malcolm X Assassinated, LBJ a total and utter disaster, which led to Nixon who would be impeached, the Vietnam War which lasted way too long. Regardless of music, the 60's was an absolute nightmare and it started on 11/22/63 and never released its grip.

Though every decade will go through times of uncertainty and trying to defend its less than proud moments. The 60's were for all intents and purposes a decade we (for those who are Americans) should forget about, minus the music.

I'll vote for the 80's.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
To each their own, but a Presidential assassination, MLK assassinated, Bobby Kennedy Assassinated, Medgar Evers Assassinated, Malcolm X Assassinated, LBJ a total and utter disaster, which led to Nixon who would be impeached, the Vietnam War which lasted way too long. Regardless of music, the 60's was an absolute nightmare and it started on 11/22/63 and never released its grip.

Though every decade will go through times of uncertainty and trying to defend its less than proud moments. The 60's were for all intents and purposes a decade we (for those who are Americans) should forget about, minus the music.

I was thinking the same thing. Pop culture from the 60s is great. The turbulence of the decade is a different matter. Although, some pieces of that followed into the 70s, including 5 more years of Vietnam, Nixon is an utter disaster, and LBJ+Nixon+Carter likely led to Reagan, who despite being lionized by some, was definitely not a good thing for the country either.

It's kinda weird because, not all decades were as crazy as the 60s, but if we are judging them on the merits of the world leaders, the conflicts, the wars, failed bills and legislation, etc., then pretty much all decades sucked. Though in some instances, those wounds had to happen so that the healing process could result in something at least a little better.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 11:30 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Pop culture from the 60s is great. The turbulence of the decade is a different matter. Although, some pieces of that followed into the 70s, including 5 more years of Vietnam, Nixon is an utter disaster, and LBJ+Nixon+Carter likely led to Reagan, who despite being lionized by some, was definitely not a good thing for the country either.

It's kinda weird because, not all decades were as crazy as the 60s, but if we are judging them on the merits of the world leaders, the conflicts, the wars, failed bills and legislation, etc., then pretty much all decades sucked. Though in some instances, those wounds had to happen so that the healing process could result in something at least a little better.

I didn't have as big of a problem with Reagan, though I know some did. I don't think he was as polarizing as many throughout our history. Granted the gap between wealth and the poor got much greater, but the 80's saw the middle class at their greatest potential. I'll give Reagan all the credit to ending the Cold War. It might have been via tough rhetoric, but it paid off and it got us away from the threat of nuclear war and our healthy relationship with Russia lasted into the early 2000's. There were no wars that the U.S was involved in. AIDS was obviously scary and we didn't do much in the way of showing empathy towards the gay community. The economy was a roller coaster early and there was that moment in '87 that Wall Street took a dive. There was Iran-Contra, not good from an optics standpoint, but in comparison to the 60's, there really is no comparison. The 60's were a complete cluster fuck from 11/22/63 on.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I didn't have as big of a problem with Reagan, though I know some did. I don't think he was as polarizing as many throughout our history. Granted the gap between wealth and the poor got much greater, but the 80's saw the middle class at their greatest potential. I'll give Reagan all the credit to ending the Cold War. It might have been via tough rhetoric, but it paid off and it got us away from the threat of nuclear war and our healthy relationship with Russia lasted into the early 2000's. There were no wars that the U.S was involved in. AIDS was obviously scary and we didn't do much in the way of showing empathy towards the gay community. The economy was a roller coaster early and there was that moment in '87 that Wall Street took a dive. There was Iran-Contra, not good from an optics standpoint, but in comparison to the 60's, there really is no comparison. The 60's were a complete cluster fuck from 11/22/63 on.

I definitely agree that Reagan is not as bad as others, and the 80s as a whole was not as clusterfuck of a decade as the 60s.

I guess I was trying to point out that pretty much any decade any of us have rose colored glasses for had it's problems, some worse than others.

My view of Reagan as a kid was a lot higher I guess than it is now. He was president and I was young. My parents generally liked him (my dad was military and leaned conservative, until Bush Jr, who I believe he voted for, began chipping away at that and Trump full blown destroyed it). I'm sure Reagan did have some hand in ending the Cold War, and I know the Berlin Wall wasn't the only piece of the puzzle, but I do think Americans attribute too much to his "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall..." speech. I don't think many people outside the US cared too much what he had to say about it, especially in East Berlin, whether they were communist, anarchist, fascist or opposed to all of it.

But the 80s and 90s feel like relatively calm decades, comparatively, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm from the U.K and the 1960's were boom years of full employment and the belief that anything was possible. The 1980's were a disaster from start to finish, starting with mass unemployment and ending with riots.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm from the U.K and the 1960's were boom years of full employment and the belief that anything was possible. The 1980's were a disaster from start to finish, starting with mass unemployment and ending with riots.

Ha, yeah I guess location plays a big part.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I definitely agree that Reagan is not as bad as others, and the 80s as a whole was not as clusterfuck of a decade as the 60s.

I guess I was trying to point out that pretty much any decade any of us have rose colored glasses for had it's problems, some worse than others.

My view of Reagan as a kid was a lot higher I guess than it is now. He was president and I was young. My parents generally liked him (my dad was military and leaned conservative, until Bush Jr, who I believe he voted for, began chipping away at that and Trump full blown destroyed it). I'm sure Reagan did have some hand in ending the Cold War, and I know the Berlin Wall wasn't the only piece of the puzzle, but I do think Americans attribute too much to his "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall..." speech. I don't think many people outside the US cared too much what he had to say about it, especially in East Berlin, whether they were communist, anarchist, fascist or opposed to all of it.

But the 80s and 90s feel like relatively calm decades, comparatively, for sure.

The "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" was epic, but it was the domino effect of other Reagan moments, such as labeling them the "Evil Empire" in 1983. Let's face it, the Soviet Union had become increasingly unstable by 82 as Brezhnev dies, is succeeded by Andropov, who dies 15 months later, who is followed by Chernenko, who dies 13 months later and then Gorbachev. To this day, I still don't think we know if those deaths were through natural causes or not. Considering Reagan had dealt with 4 Soviet leaders within a 4 year period, it's amazing anything positive ever happened. After Day 1 of the Reykjavik Summit in '86, it's amazing there was a day 2 from what we've been told. I think Reagan was the right leader for the time and for all intents and purposes held the Soviets feet to the fire. I do believe Gorbachev was an instrumental figure and the right man for the time. He was behind the implementation of both Glasnost and Perestroika and these two men forged a good partnership. Having said that, the Soviets were so unpredictable and trusting them was a stretch. As much as I love Carter the humanitarian, I think his greatest strengths were in trying to bring peace to the Middle East. To think that Sadat and Begin were pretty close to having normalized relations is weird to think of today. Of course Sadat having been assassinated in '81 changed everything. Outside of Carter pulling out our athletes of the summer games in Moscow in '80, I wouldn't say his strengths were in how we dealt with the Soviets. I think Reagan came at the right time. I'm more of a left leaning moderate, but for the most part didn't have a problem with the course he took our country on during his 8 years.

Don't get me wrong, I do wonder what trajectory we would have been on had Kennedy not been assassinated in '63. I think even with his declining health, he would have run in '64 and most likely won. Hence, we don't get involved in Vietnam. Most likely Bobby runs in '68 and the Kennedy machine probably rolls on for another 8 years. Nixon probably never enters the equation, Ford is never President. I don't think we would have had a guy like Carter in office either, as I think he was America's response to Nixon/Ford. It's possible Reagan would have emerged as the Presidential Candidate for Republicans by '76. He did oppose Ford in the primaries that year, but obviously lost. It's all so interesting...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm staying RIGHT HERE! I want to be in the mix of this whole thing to do my part in my family/community/state/nation/world and I can't wait to see how we come out of the other side.

Predictions for the 20's:

METAL will be better: more passion/angst/love/spirit/creativity. Think of all the Europeans stuck in their small flats with nothing to do but practice! You think Europe is a Metal hotbed now????!?!!?!? headbanger

Movies: Ditto

Family: We'll love the ones we love more, and the ones we don't love or struggle with we'll love more.

Friends: Ditto

Politics: Ditto

Personal and General Health: We'll all be more aware of our physical fitness, eating and hygiene, etc...

Economy: It sucks now but we'll come back tighter, smarter, stronger. The clouds will eventually part and we'll be so ready to rumble.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
The 80’s of course! What better decade for good times and great music?

I've got to agree with Thrasher.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Not even close! The 80's for sure!!!

Totally agree. The music, the movies...the music!!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm staying RIGHT HERE! I want to be in the mix of this whole thing to do my part in my family/community/state/nation/world and I can't wait to see how we come out of the other side.

Predictions for the 20's:

METAL will be better: more passion/angst/love/spirit/creativity. Think of all the Europeans stuck in their small flats with nothing to do but practice! You think Europe is a Metal hotbed now????!?!!?!?  headbanger

Movies: Ditto

Family: We'll love the ones we love more, and the ones we don't love or struggle with we'll love more.

Friends: Ditto

Politics: Ditto

Personal and General Health: We'll all be more aware of our physical fitness, eating and hygiene, etc...

Economy: It sucks now but we'll come back tighter, smarter, stronger. The clouds will eventually part and we'll be so ready to rumble.

I appreciate (and needed) your positivity today, my brutal Metal brother!!! Thanks for being YOU headbanger
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 pm

I started to vote for the 60's, only because I already did the 80's, and I really want to try some of that good acid they had in the 60's lol I'd also love to try qualudes, but screw it, I voted for the best decade the world has ever known. Give me the 80's or give me death!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The 2020's eh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2020's eh?   The 2020's eh? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 2020's eh?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next