Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Death of the Compact Disc

Go down 
+20
mc666
nevermore
mikeinfla
Runicen
Eyesore
Hadley
scottmitchell74
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
anthrax_fan
tohostudios
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Glower
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Boris2008
Lari
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2020 8:52 am

I just started a separate thread about this news but I suppose it qualifies for this topic too.

As of March 30th, CD Baby will be closing down their online store. They will continue to distribute their customer's physical product to Amazon and other online retailers though.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/cd-baby-retail-store-closing-1203506690/

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am

I still buy cds & dvds (I refuse to start over with blu-ray) almost daily. I don't believe they will be gone anytime soon. I'll be a long time dead when they are.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 4:08 am

mc666 wrote:
I still buy cds & dvds (I refuse to start over with blu-ray) almost daily. I don't believe they will be gone anytime soon. I'll be a long time dead when they are.

I agree that cds will be around for quite some time. We may find less physical stores like we used to back in the day. But cd shops are still around.

Online purchasing is also possible. And bands still release old and new material on cd.

So I guess we are temporarily safe.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 6:18 am

I buy so many CD's lately because they are so dirt cheap, but then so were vinyl records were at one time and I am sure at some point down the line they will make a comeback. That being said I am 49 years old and I grew up in the age of physical media and still like owning a physical item.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Streaming is worse for the environment than CDs. Those massive servers consume our power. And you do it each time you play the song.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm

manny wrote:
I buy so many CD's lately because they are so dirt cheap, but then so were vinyl records were at one time and I am sure at some point down the line they will make a comeback.  That being said I am 49 years old and I grew up in the age of physical media and still like owning a physical item.

Agreed. I almost can't believe the prices I am paying for some stuff. Discs that people were asking $12-15 last year are I am grabbing for $5-6. It's crazy.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 11:17 pm

manny wrote:
I buy so many CD's lately because they are so dirt cheap, but then so were vinyl records were at one time and I am sure at some point down the line they will make a comeback.  That being said I am 49 years old and I grew up in the age of physical media and still like owning a physical item.

I've bought 93 already this year. I bought a ton of Frontiers albums for $5.98 through Amazon. NEH Records has their $5 sale section, and I buy stuff from there all the time. So many options out there for cheap albums.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 am

I do most of my glorious CD listening - in my car - about 30 hours a month in my car.
Well, my first shock in 2014 - was that new cars no longer have CD players. “ That’s on the Out “. ( people love that phrase)
Then when the factory bought one broke - eventually found a shop that still sells / installs new CD players.
Like the government - making things difficult for the average heavy metal American.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Lari wrote:
Vinyl resurgence: undeniably it affects some. But I understand vinyl is still not a major seller. 99% of people don't even have vinyl players.

According to this article, vinyl will overtake CD's soon: https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-records-will-soon-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1986/
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Glower wrote:
I do most of my glorious CD listening - in my car - about 30 hours a month in my car.
Well, my first shock in 2014 - was that new cars no longer have CD players. “ That’s on the Out “. ( people love that phrase)
Then when the factory bought one broke - eventually found a shop that still sells / installs new CD players.
Like the government - making things difficult for the average heavy metal American.

Same here, I listen in my truck. I do have Bluetooth device that plugs into it so I can listen to podcasts on my phone but mostly it's CDs. A 2000 Ford Ranger, at one time it had CD and cassette but that player died a long time ago. About 10 years ago I had a CD player installed.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Most of my CD listening is in the car too. As odd as it might sound, those 40 minutes to work in the AM and 40 minutes home in the evening, with the music crankin', are my favorite parts of the day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Most of my CD listening is in the car too. As odd as it might sound, those 40 minutes to work in the AM and 40 minutes home in the evening, with the music crankin', are my favorite parts of the day.

Same for me. Barely any time left to listen to music at home.

I love the part of the eve when I head to my shelves to choose what music I will be spinning the next day!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

I get an hour or so each night after the wife and daughter go to sleep. I sometimes fall asleep on the couch in the man cave with a record spinning or concert DVD playing. I have almost zero interest in regular television, movies, or sports the last few years. It's all about the music. As far as the listening in the car goes, I love my new car, but I don't love the lack of a CD player. Thank God for Ozzy's Boneyard!!! If I had to put up with regular classic rock radio I would be running people off the road!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 3:00 pm

So, how does the CD make a comeback much like vinyl did? It was down for a couple of decades and is hot again; will the disc make a surge in popularity sometime in the 2030's? If you feel this way, why do you feel this way?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 pm

If horrible cassettes made somewhat of a return, why not CDs? My only suggestion would be to improve the space saving aspect and make them slightly smaller and thinner. The artwork would need to be modified, but they already did that for cassettes anyway.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm

The big question is, when is the 8 track tape going to make a comeback?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Troublezone wrote:
If horrible cassettes made somewhat of a return, why not CDs? My only suggestion would be to improve the space saving aspect and make them slightly smaller and thinner. The artwork would need to be modified, but they already did that for cassettes anyway.

That brings to mind some of the CD singles I have.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 9:34 pm

I was thinking of showing the benefit/ value to bring the consumer back. Offer one good version, not a deluxe with 3 useless bonus tracks for 4 bucks more. If you are gonna give a bonus , make it worthwhile. Also, cut out the f#%kin cheap a$$ digi packs! A nice jewel case with liner notes and artwork so it's an event like it was in the old days. The quality needs to come back. You can definitely feel the difference between a CD made in 1988 and one from 2008. The quality of the packaging, artwork, and the disc itself tells the tale of corporate avarice and disdain for the consumer.

Vinyl touts the "180 gram re master" on hype stickers all the time, so CD's should do something similar. Maybe find a way to make the SHM/ 24kt re masters more affordable for some of the faves of Metal? Also, re release some hard to find titles, so it rekindles interest and keep the price low. People aren't going to pay $16-18 for a disc in a shi$$y package when they are getting an LP for around $20-22 with full artwork and an audio/ visual experience.

Just a few ideas.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am

Was driving home from work after a very late day / night - with this CD playing.
This song really stood out for me at 1 am - on the quiet suburban streets.
But it is funny - car time = metal time The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 47715
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm

I just think better music, don't offer streaming, and more touring is the best way to make the compact disc come back.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 2:17 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Also, cut out the f#%kin cheap a$$ digi packs! A nice jewel case with liner notes and artwork so it's an event like it was in the old days.

I am so anti-digipak. When I do want to buy an album, I try and determine first if it's in a digipak, and if it is, is there a version in a jewel case too? Even if it means sacrificing some bonus tracks or a live disc or something, I'd get the jewel version.

There are times I decided to get the LP instead, if digi was the only CD option. Or I just decided that Spotify sufficed instead of a crappy digi.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 pm

007 wrote:

Don't give 'em any ideas! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
007 wrote:

Don't give 'em any ideas! Very Happy

The 8 track is why I don't think CDs will come back the same way.

8 track felt like a beta version of cassettes, and CDs were basically the beta version of a digital collection.

Or a stepping stone the path.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 2:59 pm

I’ve seen digipak - never knew what it meant.
I have stayed away from it.
And when it says CD- R what’s it mean ?
I don’t buy that either.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 3:20 pm

The weird thing about cassettes were that with vinyl and cd you could skip right to the track you wanted, however, with tapes you had to fast forward to it and even then you had to make sure you pressed stop just when the song started.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Death of the Compact Disc   The Death of the Compact Disc - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Death of the Compact Disc
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next