Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW

Go down 
+14
Troublezone
nevermore
mlotek
Witchfinder
akeldama
Hadley
Sword Of The Heretic
Leatherface
Required Fields
tohostudios
Addy
mikeinfla
DallasBlack
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 pm

He was "only" 76.  I would have bet anything he was in his 80s; he must have started in the business very young.

RIP.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18932

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 9:23 am

tohostudios wrote:
He was "only" 76.  I would have bet anything he was in his 80s; he must have started in the business very young.

RIP.
He did. He broke into wrestling when he was 15.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Forgot to do this:

R.I.P.

One of wrestling's true tough guys!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 am

This is one of my favorite Harley stories I've ever read. Tom Prichard told this story before on his blog (whose domain is now expired), but it's been copied and pasted in other places. Anyways, check this out:

Dr. Tom Prichard wrote:
Don Slatton was famous for bring Billy Sol Estes to justice and was in fact a deputy, sheriff or some kind of well known law enforcement officer around Abilene, Texas. The Lawman usually came to the ring wearing a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and white jeans. He was billed as “The King of the Chain Matches” and it seemed like no matter what kind of match he was in, he always ended up a bloody mess.

The Lawman was the promoter in Abilene and during one of Harley’s tours as champion in the Amarillo territory, Don Slatton booked himself in the main event against the world champion in a Russian Chain Match!

The “King of the Chain Match” Lawman Don Slatton VS. The World Heavyweight Champion, Harley Race. Russian Chain Match Rules! No Disqualifications, No count outs, the ONLY way to win is to drag your opponent around the ring and touch all four corners consecutively! No stopping for blood! MUST BE A WINNER!

Well, as far as anybody in Abilene knew, The Lawman was “undefeated” in over 400 chain matches and the odds were definitely in his favor! The promos, newspaper ads leading up to the match did it’s job and the night of the match saw a turn away crowd.

I’ve heard this story from numerous people through the years but now I’m hearing it straight from the guy who was in the middle of it all. Harley said he got a call from Bob Giegel (NWA president at the time) asking if he was working with Don Slatton in a chain match that night. When Harley informed Bob that he was, Giegel told Harley not to do it because they got word that Slatton was looking to double cross Harley and take the title using “chain match rules.” Harley told Giegel not to worry about anything like that happening. Slatton would never try anything like that. Surely he wasn’t that stupid! So Bob told Harley to just watch himself and be aware that it was a possibility.

Harley got to the show that night and the dressing rooms were on opposite sides of the building, which meant the referee would be delivering messages back and forth. The match was set where a heel would come out for a distraction just as Slatton was about to get to the last corner and then Terry Funk would come from the opposite dressing room to make the save. In all the commotion, Harley would do something to Slatton, knock him out and touch all four corners, retaining the world championship.

Apparently all was going as planned, with Slatton dragging Harley around the ring touching three corners along the way and the crowd anticipating their local hero about to become the new champ when suddenly a heel came from one dressing room (Harley couldn’t remember who) and Terry Funk came out to stop the interference. At that point instead of letting the moment play out and have Harley stop him, The Lawman continued and touched the fourth corner! The crowd erupted thinking they just saw a title change!

The Lawman took the chain off his wrist and immediately made his way back to the dressing room with Terry Funk while Harley stood in the ring with the crowd still going crazy!

Harley knew he’d been had and was pissed! He made his way through the crowd, with the chain still on his wrist and went back to the babyface dressing room, kicked the door open and found Don Slatton hiding in the shower. Harley said he backhanded him twice and drug him to the ring, punched him out and drug him around the ring touching all four corners in front of a capacity crowd that wasn’t quite sure what they were witnessing. After Harley touched all four corners, he made sure the ring announcer made it clear to everyone in the building that “the winner, and STILL world heavyweight champion was Harley Race!”

Once Harley was declared the winner, he went back to his locker room but was so mad he decided to go back to the other side of the building again and kick the door in, looking for Don Slatton. But the room was empty. Harley kicked a few chairs, went back to his dressing room, showered and left.

Almost a year later, Harley said he was back in the Amarillo territory again and sure enough, The Lawman was still there. Harley noticed a belt on the bench of the dressing room that said “World Champion Chain Wrestler.” He picked it up as Don Slatton walked in. Harley said he looked at him and said “You won’t be needing this” as he took it and put it in the trunk of his car.

He said Slatton begged him not to take it as it cost him a lot of money to have made, but Harley didn’t care. He tried to screw the world heavyweight champion and it backfired on him. I don’t know how much longer The Lawman was involved in promoting Abilene after that.

I heard he and the Funks had a falling out and Abilene pretty much dried up as a regular stop in the territory. Trying to pull a fast one on the world champion didn’t do him any favors, I’m sure.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Great story!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2019 1:38 pm

After he passed away last week, a memorial service has already been set for former NWA champion and WWE Hall of Famer Harley Race. The service will be held on August 11 at 3 PM in Troy, Missouri. The event will be open to the public.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Cardinals are on the West Coast so I'm stuck watching Smackdown.

Holy crap, WWE is so desperate for ratings they actually brought back Goldberg?????

Sheesh.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 7:40 am

I think it has to do with his Saudi match being so bad. He said he wasn't happy with it and wanted to do another one. I don't mind him too bad, squash matches are fine and I think that's what will happen at Summer Slam. Anything over 8 minutes and he's in trouble.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 7:41 am

Love him or hate him, Hogan is always an interesting interview. When you have time check it out with whatever podcast service you use. I admit I've always been a Hogan mark.

https://player.fm/series/the-steve-austin-show-unleashed-11715/the-immortal-hulk-hogan

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 11:41 pm

I've never been a Hogan mark but I do respect his contributions to wrestling and acknowledge the sacrifices he made for the "sport". Not sure how known this is, but did you know that after years and years of the leg drop, he lost about 3-4 inches due to the damage to his spine.

I don't mind Goldberg, I actually was a big mark for him in the late 90s. The problem with the Saudi match was that Goldberg needs someone who can carry him through a match. Undertaker of old would have been capable of it, but not the current Undertaker (please Mark, retire!!!). Dolph is much more capable of doing it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 pm

It’s the greatest news in the history of our sport. PWInsider reports that Tony Schiavone has signed a new del with All Elite Wrestling and will appear on the upcoming AEW show on TNT. It’s unknown how he will be involved on the program, but this will be his first appearance on TNT since WCW Monday Nitro ended in 2001.

The website notes that AEW actually beat WWE to the punch in this case, as WWE was attempting to sign Schiavone as late as this past Wednesday. Schiavone is currently signed to an MLW conract as well, and will continue to work with them. He’s previously made appearances on AEW’s ‘Road To’ shows previewing upcoming events.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 6:42 pm

Wow that means Schiavone and Jim Ross will be reunited.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 pm

This is getting interesting...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wwe-nxt-series-shift-usa-015019491.html

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Ok we've all seen this before. There is something else odd about this segment that I never noticed until a friend pointed it out. At 1:02 Flair leaves out the backdoor and someone replaced him with a cardboard cut out!!!

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Wow, that was creepy and weird. All this time I thought Flair was one of the people talking. I thought he was the one who said, “all right!” Among other things. What an astute observation. I never EVER caught that. I wonder what the reason for it was?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Wow, that's bizarre. You can even hear Flair say "Hey, I'm outta here" then the cardboard cutout shows up

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Yeah I've seen it hundreds of times and never noticed it until someone pointed it out. I tried to listen closely and I also heard him say "I'm outta here!" And something about "Eric"... But I can't quite make it out with all the commotion.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39582

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm

That is bizarre. It looks like Flair just kinda drifts off to the back and freezes in place.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 6:10 pm

007 wrote:
That is bizarre. It looks like Flair just kinda drifts off to the back and freezes in place.

Yeah, the more I watch it the more it looks like he is having an MK Ultra glitch.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Cardinals beat the Giants this afternoon so I'm watching RAW for the first time in about a month. When did Gallows start wearing face paint?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 4:27 am

I was flipping thru channels and saw the paint. I think it's new. I only watched for about 30 seconds and then back over to the L-Ville/NDame game. But I read this morning that Bayley turned heel. Will have to go back and see that.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 pm

UPDATE: Okay, now we can say it: the AEW World Title has apparently been stolen. PWInsider has confirmed what many of us already assumed: that the “championship wrestling belt” which was stolen from Jericho while he was eating in a Longhorn Steakhouse was in fact that AEW championship. As of this writing, the case remains open and the investigation is ongoing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 pm

But this is the world of pro wrestling so is this a "work" or "legit"? Do you really think WWE is so afraid of competition that they'd "commission" someone to steal this belt from a fledgling competing group? I doubt it.

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW
Page 7 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: