Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Make up and Metal

Go down 
+6
Boris2008
Lari
Gilbert
the sentinel
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 12:29 pm

I know they have always gone together in some respect. From Slayer to Poison to whatever new crap is out there [ie: Butcher Babies, etc]. Personally, I always found it silly and somewhat off-putting. Yeah, it's a visual thing and it does not really affect the tunes. But, call me cynical [who? me?], but I rather have a band grab a Heineken, tune up, and rock out.

Let's not talk about King Diamond, cuz I will get destroyed here. But, give me your two cents otherwise.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 pm

I agree that it has it's place and is definitely connected with Metal (from Glam to Death, mascara to corpse paint) to our beloved Genre. I certainly don't think it's a necessary part of Metal; nor does it enhance or detract from the music.
I do, however, feel strongly that Kiss wouldn't have a career without it! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 1:11 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I agree that it has it's place and is definitely connected with Metal (from Glam to Death, mascara to corpse paint) to our beloved Genre. I certainly don't think it's a necessary part of Metal; nor does it enhance or detract from the music.
I do, however, feel strongly that Kiss wouldn't have a career without it! Laughing very hard

I tend to agree about Kiss gossip
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm

It adds to the peculiarity and mystery and outrageousness of rock and metal music. It also makes the musicians look different and more star-like when compared to the ordinary Joe. Part of the show. Just like clothes and pyro and lasers.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Personally, I always found it silly and somewhat off-putting.  Yeah, it's a visual thing and it does not really affect the tunes.  

If you don't think makeup affects the tunes, then why do you find it off-putting? This is a common pitfall of hair metal critisizers: "music is not about makeup and hairspray. Only the songs matter. OMG I hate their hair I can't listen to them!" That's contradicting yourself.

Leather jackets and denim can also count as a "costume". It is deliberate and meant to convey something.

Either way, makeup is supposed to get a reaction. It's outrageous. Like smoking or holding a bottle of Jack in your photo shoot.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Whether it's this

Make up and Metal Immortal

or this

Make up and Metal Versailles-japan-03

or this

Make up and Metal Motley-Crue-At-Studio-1985-colo-billboard-1548

It's all just showbiz and if the music is good I can deal.

After everything they said though my favourite make up metal moment was this

Still love the song though!

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Lari wrote:

Leather jackets and denim can also count as a "costume". It is deliberate and meant to convey something.

F that shit. With that logic, whatever you are wearing right this second is a costume. Nice performance Lari.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 2:04 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Lari wrote:

F that shit.  With that logic, whatever you are wearing right this second is a costume.  Nice performance Lari.
Only if I wear it in public. I'm at home right now, so no.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Both Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine enforced a strict dress code in the early days of their bands, it had nothing to do with 'just turning up & plugging in'
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39609

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 pm

The look of a band/performer never really mattered to me. As long as the music is something I can get into, the act can look like a bunch of Buddy Hollys or in make up and spandex or whatever as far as I'm concerned
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Whether it's this

Make up and Metal Immortal

or this

or this

Make up and Metal Motley-Crue-At-Studio-1985-colo-billboard-1548

It's all just showbiz and if the music is good I can deal.

After everything they said though my favourite make up metal moment was this

Still love the song though!

The middle picture makes me think of Heart's Asian counterparts circa 1985. Lol.

True statements though, Boris.If I like the tunes, I don't care about the make up or costumes.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm

007 wrote:
The look of a band/performer never really mattered to me. As long as the music is something I can get into, the act can look like a bunch of Buddy Hollys or in make up and spandex or whatever as far as I'm concerned

That's me too.  I actually don't care about the look of an artist/band at all; to me all that matters is the music and if I like it, I'm in.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

For anyone who doesn't know this band, yes, that's a dude on the far right. And he plays a mean guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hizaki

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Lari wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

For anyone who doesn't know this band, yes, that's a dude on the far right. And he plays a mean guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hizaki

Wow, I never would have suspected that was a guy.  And you're right, he can definitely play.

But you know what bugs me about that video?  Not the fact that we have a dude who sure as hell looks like a girl; it's that I hear a bunch of other instruments in there that no one appears to be playing.  Is he playing with a backup tape?  In some of the shots we see portions of the drum kit but nothing moves while the music goes on and I clearly hear cymbals.  Now THAT'S irritating to me.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Wow, I never would have suspected that was a guy.  And you're right, he can definitely play.

But you know what bugs me about that video?  Not the fact that we have a dude who sure as hell looks like a girl; it's that I hear a bunch of other instruments in there that no one appears to be playing.  Is he playing with a backup tape?  In some of the shots we see portions of the drum kit but nothing moves while the music goes on and I clearly hear cymbals.  Now THAT'S irritating to me.[/quote]

Versailles are the one band where I do wish that people would stop going on about the dude in a dress and listen to the music but to be honest, the way they look is absolutely at the front of what they do so I guess it's understandable that people focus on that. This was a solo spot in the live show, so that why the camera is on Hizaki. just for you Toho, this is the whole band

They are all really talented players but I think most would be put off by the overly theatrical nature of the band and the Japanese lyrics so actually the album I would recommend is his solo disc

Good luck finding it these days though!

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Unfortunately that Versailles video says "This content not available in your country due to a trademark complaint".  And actually Japanese lyrics puts me off way more than any costumes or makeup.  I just have a hard time listening to something not sung in English.  Yeah, I know, that's my fault not theirs' but there it is.

That Rose Quartz song is pretty good but there are no vocals, what does the rest sound like?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:52 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Unfortunately that Versailles video says "This content not available in your country due to a trademark complaint".  And actually Japanese lyrics puts me off way more than any costumes or makeup.  I just have a hard time listening to something not sung in English.  Yeah, I know, that's my fault not theirs' but there it is.

That Rose Quartz song is pretty good but there are no vocals, what does the rest sound like?

There are no vocals on any of that album. It's a collection of instrumentals that he has done with his three most recent bands (Hizaki Grace Project, Versailles & Jupiter) and if you dig guitar albums it slays!

This is Jupiter

Maybe that's allowed in the U.S.A lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 pm

I grew up on KISS so obviously I have no problem w/bands in makeup...

It's like any other gimmick. It works for some bands, on others it looks goofy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 4:59 am

It doesn't bother me really what they look like. I can rock out to Twisted Sister who looked like a bunch of drag queens or somebody like Tora Tora who wore ripped jeans and a t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am

Nowadays, as I look back for older bands I missed from "back in the day" the look (hair, make up, clothes) helps me determine what they will probably sound like. I sometimes run across pictures on other forums and wonder if I would like them. If they are glammed to the hilt- I figure something like "Theater" era Crue or Nitro. If they are t shirt and jeans - Tesla. Denim and leather - Savarage, Shok Paris sound. It's by no means an exact science, but it usually comes pretty close.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am

the sentinel wrote:
Nowadays, as I look back for older bands I missed from "back in the day" the look (hair, make up, clothes) helps me determine what they will probably sound like. I sometimes run across pictures on other forums and wonder if I would like them. If they are glammed to the hilt- I figure something like "Theater" era Crue or Nitro. If they are t shirt and jeans - Tesla. Denim and leather - Savarage, Shok Paris sound. It's by no means an exact science, but it usually comes pretty close.
Exactly! Not only do nowadays bands sound too much alike, they also look alike. Everybody uses the same amps, mics and they all look like this:

Make up and Metal Killswitch_engage450

And you can't tell if it's death metal or thrash metal or classic metal or nu-metal and then you've wasted time (hopefully not money) when you discover they sound like Killswitch Sevenfold. There's this "metal" look that is all encompassing. I look like I could be in that band. And I'm not. I think a band should look like they are a band. Like they are a separate unique entity. Those guys hang out together. A stage look. Something.

Though glam bands do look different, even nowadays. They use eyeliner. But so pop punk bands... just look at Green Day.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 am

Btw, props to Uncle Sax, for coming up with a topic that I do not think has been discussed before on this board.

Even if we don't agree on the subject matter Make up and Metal 775710
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am

Lari wrote:
Btw, props to Uncle Sax, for coming up with a topic that I do not think has been discussed before on this board.

Even if we don't agree on the subject matter Make up and Metal 775710

Good point, Lari. Agreed.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 am

"Costumes" have always been a prevalent part of any and all musical genres and this "look" is the driver for first impressions. Even you don't want to admit and sure things are certainly different now that we are older (and maybe wiser) and the musical climate is vastly different as well.

Example of which, when guys like John and I in the heyday of pawn shops and second hand store scrounging, wouldn't give a disc a second look if it didn't have a band picture meeting one form of criteria or another to distinguish the band as some variant of what we would like... Sure an exception or 2 can be had (Ice Water Mansion comes to mind, great disc that upon first glance appears to be a fusion jazz disc, no pix or anything eluding to the hard rock greatness inside or even the elusive Tacoma band Pharaoh with their insanely non descriptive cd that you would walk past every time, but again within is Motley's Too Fast For Love revisited). Hell I have been fooled a time or 2 by what "looks" like a hard rock band that isn't.

Point being image is a big part of perception and obviously helps sell records.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 12:46 pm

I sold a couple of copies of that Pharaoh disc for huge money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Make up and Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make up and Metal   Make up and Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make up and Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next