Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE

Go down 
+16
John Madden
nevermore
Lari
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Gilbert
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
Eyesore
tohostudios
Wrecked Neck
Fat Freddy
Glower
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 5:17 pm

I remember when CD's first hit -
and how they said they wont skip and scratch - lol
Anyways - my majority of listening to CDs - is in my car.
The sun can cause damage too - spots of some sort.
I recently purchased SWORD ( metalized ) -
Has anyone bought a CD twice ? - because they HAD TO - lol
What were the CDs -
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I've had to buy replacement copies for a couple CDs, usually when I bought the first copy used and it turned out to have scratches/skips (one of the hazards of buying second-hand stuff via the Internet sight unseen)...

I've recently had to replace Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Ratt's Out of the Cellar, and Nirvana's Incesticide.  I'm sure there have been a few others over the years but I can't think of 'em off the top of my head.

...but now that you mention it, at the moment I am actively searching for decent CD copies of Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid and Firehouse's Hold Your Fire, so if anybody's got either of those for trade, gimme a holla!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Yeah, I had the bright idea to carve my name in my CD's in case they got stolen by some of my less than trust worthy friends I used to hang around with. Luckily I only did it to one cd, before I discovered that what you did on the label side of the CD effected the play of the other side of the cd.

I've also bought cd's that I forgot I already had a few times. Judas Priest, Turbo is one that come's to mind. Pretty easy to forget that one, bummer I bought it once, let alone twice lol
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah I've bought several CDs multiple times by accident (as in: forgot I already owned them)  I used to try to sell the duplicate buys but that's too much work so now I just give them away to somebody I know likes the artist.

The one CD I've bought multiple times on purpose is Rush 2112. I've lost a CD of that album once, bought a remixed/remasterred version, bought a gold CD version, etc.

All told I've owned Rush 2112 in every format known to man (most multiple times): vinyl (three times), 8-track, cassette (twice), CD (at least 4 times).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 6:47 pm

I have. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know I need to re-buy Master of Puppets at some point because it skips in a few spots.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 pm

I have done it a few times to replace scratched, worn out, or broken ones:

Anthrax - Among the Living
Metallica - Kill, Ride, and Puppets
Vanhalen - I and II
Y&T - Contagious

I need to replace Dream Theater's "Images and Words" as soon as I find a cheap replacement copy.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yeah I've bought several CDs multiple times by accident (as in: forgot I already owned them)  I used to try to sell the duplicate buys but that's too much work so now I just give them away to somebody I know likes the artist.

The one CD I've bought multiple times on purpose is Rush 2112.  I've lost a CD of that album once, bought a remixed/remasterred version, bought a gold CD version, etc.

All told I've owned Rush 2112 in every format known to man (most multiple times):  vinyl (three times), 8-track, cassette (twice), CD (at least 4 times).

I haven't purchased 2112 as much as that, but it's the only album I have in three formats.

I lost Ultimatum's - Into the Pit in a rental car in Ohio, so I had to get that again.

For some reason I traded/sold away the first 5 Blind Guardian years ago. Dumb, so I bought them over.

I sold off those Castle (?) Iron Maiden cds for crazy money on ebay a long time ago, so I bought those albums on vinyl.

For unknown reasons sold Rust In Peace, and recently repurchased that one.

Blind Guardain - Nightfall in Middle Earth - had to replace a skipping cd.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Sadly yes. I just forgot I had certain CDs. Most recently Death-Leprosy (kept my receipt and was able to return it) and Volbeat-Beyond Hell/Above Heaven (opposite situation).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 pm

I usually take very good care of my CD's, and thank God never had any trouble with the used ones i have purchased (picked up over 30 used albums at the flea market in Monasteraki-Athens last week and tried them all. No issues). I also remember every single Cd i own in my collection.

Recently however, i purchased the same album twice. I am talking about Marshall Law's metal detector. This is probably my favourite nwobhm band and their albums are almost impossible to find. So I ordered a copy from Amazon, sold via an unknown seller and waited for it to arrive in the mail (while not being sure it would reach my part of the world). In the meantime, i found the same CD in a metal shop in Greece for 10 euros so i immediately picked it up. As soon as I flew back home, i found my other copy waiting for me in the mail. So now I have two copies. Will use one for trading purposes probably.

Oh, the exact same thing happened to me with the latest Stormwitch release earlier this year.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 am

Yes I have. Sold or traded then bought again. Ive also bought a cd that I forgot I owned as well.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 9:43 am

Yes.

Either because I forgot I already had them, or I would sell them on purpose thinking I didn't want them anymore, but then change my mind later on.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 10:08 am

I was actually looking more for Band names -
I have to buy BETSY again - has a couple jumps -
PRIEST - Ram it down - couple killer tunes on that - skips
Great White - greatest hits - scratch - etc
( for Desert Moon song - blast that constantly in the summer )
RODS - Heavier than Thou - a skip -

I suppose after 10 - 20 years - CDs - do hold up pretty good !
Cant toss em about in passenger seat of car - lol
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 11:56 am

Of course. Hey, that Marshall Law is a good album, it's ok to buy it twice.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm

I've luckily never had to replace a cd due to skips or whatever but my Judas Priest Demolition actually got snapped in two. It got caught in my rotary player and while I was trying to get it out, the "turntable" automatically spun and broke it in two. I need to replace it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm

007 wrote:
I've luckily never had to replace a cd due to skips or whatever but my Judas Priest Demolition actually got snapped in two. It got caught in my rotary player and while I was trying to get it out, the "turntable" automatically spun and broke it in two. I need to replace it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
So you could say your Priest disc got.... demolished.

I apologize.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Lari wrote:
007 wrote:
So you could say your Priest disc got.... demolished.

I apologize.

insane Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE 811939 crazy happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 5:39 pm

My Rush 2112 albums have been cursed.

Two vinyl copies had vodka spilled on them in college.  Vodka and vinyl is not a good combination.  My cassette copy was eaten by the player in my car at the time.  And the 8-track copy suddenly decided it didn't want to change tracks anymore (those of you who know how 8 tracks used to work probably understand).  The rest of my 2112 "re-buys" were because I either was buying something that had been remastered or was supposedly going to sound better.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 5:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Two vinyl copies had vodka spilled on them in college.  Vodka and vinyl is not a good combination.  My cassette copy was eaten by the player in my car at the time.  And the 8-track copy suddenly decided it didn't want to change tracks anymore (those of you who know how 8 tracks used to work probably understand).  The rest of my 2112 "re-buys" were because I either was buying something that had been remastered or was supposedly going to sound better.

You'll probably end up actually buying 2112 copies of the album. Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Laughing very hard

I sure feels that way!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Sure have. I either trade or give the extra copy away.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Of course. Hey, that Marshall Law is a good album, it's ok to buy it twice.

It is. Such an inderrated band. Too bad they stopped.

Their albums are very hard to find in Europe. I hope they get reissued one day.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 am

How is that Metal Detector CD? I've got a compilation with Empowerment, Devices and Seek and You Shall Find on it, and they are all great tracks!
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 am

Not very often.I had to buy Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King. My copy of Overkill's Horrorscope I may have to replace due to evidence of edge rot,which hasn't extended to the actual music-yet.I've recently bought the remastered versions of Master of Puppets,Spreading the Disease, and Among the Living.Here's a great article about cd rot: https://tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

You'll probably end up actually buying 2112 copies of the album.  Razz

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2018 10:49 pm

John Madden wrote:
Not very often.I had to buy Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King. My copy of Overkill's Horrorscope I may have to replace due to evidence of edge rot,which hasn't extended to the actual music-yet.I've recently bought the remastered versions of Master of Puppets,Spreading the Disease, and Among the Living.Here's a great article about cd rot:   https://tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/

I have had CDs for over two decades now and have never faced such issues. I did buy some used CDs that contained small stains on the back surface but all of them played very well. I think proper handling and storing helps. I also think that the first CD editions are made of lower quality than the ones that we currently buy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE   Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you ever bought a CD - TWICE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next