Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Burn Out

Go down 
+16
Shawn Of Fire
Wrecked Neck
Lari
manny
tohostudios
nevermore
Thrasher73
Eyesore
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
the sentinel
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 am

I find that as time has gone by a lot of the old guard aren't getting many spins from me. This is mostly due to having listened to them so much in years past, and sometimes also that the new releases from these bands aren't spectacular, so I am not drawn back to them. A few off the top of my brain:

Kiss
Pantera
Sabbath
Rush
Helloween
Europe

Who you got, my Metal brothers?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Some of the bands that i haven't heard in a long time (years probably) would be:

Kiss
Pantera
Guns N Roses
Blind Guardian
Anvil
Nuclear Assault
Rush
Machine Head

This is just a phase though.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 1:47 pm

I tend to get burned out on certain albums/eras of bands, not their entire output.

Example: Kiss' Destroyer - I heard it so much growing up (for a long time, it was the only Kiss tape I owned) that I'm quite sick of it by now. I own the CD but I couldn't tell ya the last time I gave it a listen. But hey, if you pass me their debut or Hotter Than Hell, I'll still play that till the cows come home.

Ditto for much of the '80s Priest material, say Screaming through Painkiller- when I'm in the mood for JP nowadays I tend to reach for Sad Wings or Stained Class most often.

There are a good number of Dokken, AC/DC, Savatage and W.A.S.P. albums (to name just a few) that I rarely listen to anymore because I played them to death in the past, but I still listen to other albums by those bands on a fairly regular basis.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Guns n Roses. Sweet Chode O Mine turns me into an axe-wielding homicidal maniac.

On a different spin, and pretty much not really having anything to do with this thread - I despised Alice in Chains and STP when they were huge. I hear those songs now and they make me nostalgic. I can honestly say I have never heard a full album by either band. But, now, I would like to.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 pm

I burn out on some artists and give them a rest for a year to two and then come back to them.  I do find I don't listen to much of the really huge metal albums from '88-'92 anymore. Stuff like the Black Album, Dr. Feelgood, No More Tears, Countdown To Extinction, The Razor's Edge, etc... don't get many spins from me anymore.  I heard them so much 25 years ago that I don't think I'll ever need to hear them again. Also, I think several of them have not aged well at all.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Quote :
I burn out on some artists and give them a rest for a year to two and then come back to them.

That sounds about right for me. My musical tastes tend to run seasonal. Spring/Summer is 80's glam/hair bands or old school thrash from my younger days. Fall is doom and stoner rock. Bleak and depressing. Winter is straight-up metal. Angers up the blood and keeps me warm while I shovel snow.

If I get tired of a band or album in that time period, away it goes till next season.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I burn out on some artists and give them a rest for a year to two and then come back to them.  I do find I don't listen to much of the really huge metal albums from '88-'92 anymore. Stuff like the Black Album, Dr. Feelgood, No More Tears, Countdown To Extinction, The Razor's Edge, etc... don't get many spins from me anymore.  I heard them so much 25 years ago that I don't think I'll ever need to hear them again. Also, I think several of them have no aged well at all.

Agreed, brother. I think back then, when those albums were all over the place, they have burned their imprint into our brain meat and they can be gone but never forgotten. Ha.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 10:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I burn out on some artists and give them a rest for a year to two and then come back to them.

That sounds about right for me. My musical tastes tend to run seasonal. Spring/Summer is 80's glam/hair bands or old school thrash from my younger days. Fall is doom and stoner rock. Bleak and depressing. Winter is straight-up metal. Angers up the blood and keeps me warm while I shovel snow.

If I get tired of a band or album in that time period, away it goes till next season.

Oh, yeah. I do the seasonal thing too. I sometimes even go a step further and have specific times of day or nights. If I am relaxing while posting on HoM and drinking a few late on a Friday night, I want some classic '80;s Traditional or Power Metal. On a Saturday afternoon or night, I want Hair Metal. Sunday nights seem to be NWOBHM albums/ bands. I know it sounds a bit goofy, but I am just your friendly neighborhood Sentinel.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 am

I'm not burned out on any particular band as a whole... but rather individual songs played to death on FM radio.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 12:14 am

I tend to get burnt out on genres rather than bands or albums or songs. Eventually I circle back to it, though.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 5:24 am

Eyesore wrote:
I tend to get burnt out on genres rather than bands or albums or songs. Eventually I circle back to it, though.

Yep, this is what I do.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I'm not burned out on any particular band as a whole... but rather individual songs played to death on FM radio.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yep, this is what I do.

Exactly, same here.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm

I tend to do that with certain bands, albums and even genres but than I come around to it again.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Dream Theater for me. And most all progressive metal.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 am

I'm actually burned out on Bruce Dickinson fronted Iron Maiden. Don't know what it is, but his voice is kind of irritating lately. I'm sure I'll come back one day, but lately I can only listen to the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 am

Troublezone wrote:

This is why I haven't listened to radio in quite a few years.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 am

I'm not burned out on anything because I only hear songs/bands when I want to. Stop listening to the radio.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'm not burned out on anything because I only hear songs/bands when I want to. Stop listening to the radio.
I never listen to radio. But there are CDs I used to listen to a lot, but never reach for these days.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
I'm actually burned out on Bruce Dickinson fronted Iron Maiden. Don't know what it is, but his voice is kind of irritating lately. I'm sure I'll come back one day, but lately I can only listen to the first two albums.

lol!  Now you're speaking the heresy I've been spouting for years.  I've always found Bruce's voice irritating.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 7:24 pm

nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Same here.

And here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:

That happened to me on the Powerslave album and never really came back.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 am

tohostudios wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

lol!  Now you're speaking the heresy I've been spouting for years.  I've always found Bruce's voice irritating.
It's only been a few months for me, but it really is getting bad. Very strange, cause I have been a pretty big fan of theirs forever. I even liked book of souls, though not much after brave New world. Seen them at least fifteen times. But pretty sure I'll pass next time they come through.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 am

For me it's classic rock stuff I am tired of.

The Eagles
Doobie Brothers
ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Aerosmith

Funny I am not burned out on Hendrix. Still enjoy his stuff but I have recently expanded my LP collection and still like the last 3 LP's released by Experience Hendrix.

I'm sure I'll come back around at some point to the bands above but probably not The Eagles. used to love 'em but burned out so much I don't care if I ever hear them again.

Also, as Witchfinder said a lot of the stuff hasn't aged well from the 80's.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm burned out on "popular" Skynyrd but I really dig the Johnny Van Zandt-era stuff.  The only "classic" Skynyrd I still like is "Ballad of Curtis Low" and "Working for MCA".  Other than that I prefer Skynyrd stuff like this (which probably NO ONE has ever heard):

Burn Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn Out   Burn Out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Burn Out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next