Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Danny Kirwan

Go down 
+4
metalinmyveins
James B.
MetalGuy71
akeldama
8 posters
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Danny Kirwan, the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist who played on five of the British band's albums, died Friday at the age of 68.

Mick Fleetwood, who recruited the then-18-year-old Kirwan to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, confirmed Kirwan's death with a tribute on the band's Facebook. No cause of death was announced.

"Today was greeted by the sad news of the passing of Danny Kirwan in London, England. Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years," Fleetwood wrote.

"Danny's true legacy, in my mind, will forever live on in the music he wrote and played so beautifully as a part of the foundation of Fleetwood Mac, that has now endured for over fifty years. Thank you, Danny Kirwan. You will forever be missed!"

Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac following the release of 1968's Mr. Wonderful – his first appearance with the band was their Number One single "Albatross" – and would record five albums with the band while serving as guitarist and singer: 1969's Then Play On (the band's last Peter Green album) and Blues Jam at Chess, 1970's Kiln House(the first Mac album to feature Christine McVie), 1971's Future Games and 1972's Bare Trees.

Due to his alcoholism, Kirwan was fired from Fleetwood Mac during the tour in support of Bare Trees in 1972. Over the second half of the Seventies, Kirwan released four solo albums. However, Kirwan's next few decades were reportedly marred by bouts of mental health issues and homelessness.

"I've been through a bit of a rough patch but I'm not too bad," Kirwan told the Independent in a rare interview in 1993, after Mick Fleetwood asked the Missing Person Bureau to seek out his former guitarist. "I get by and I suppose I am homeless, but then I've never really had a home since our early days on tour. I couldn't handle it all mentally and I had to get out. I can't settle."

For his contributions to Fleetwood Mac, Kirwan was among the eight members of the band – along with Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, John McVie, Christine McVie and Jeremy Spencer – that were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998; Kirwan did not attend the induction ceremony.

From MSN

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 5:27 pm

As a huge fan of Mac from their inception to ‘Heroes Are Hard To Find’ I find this to be a major drag. Luckily I’ve been jamming my playlist of fave Mac from ‘70-‘74 lately.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm

RIP

I only recently begun to listen to the Mac albums he was on. He had some mighty big shoes to fill when Peter Green's cheese slipped off his cracker.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Been listening to the Live Boston CD's in honor of his passing. Man, he was only like 18 when he joined the Mac.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I was actually going to start this thread a couple of days ago, but I completely forgot. It's only been over the last year that I've been catching up on all the pre Buckingham/Nicks records and I have thoroughly enjoyed them. My favorite guitarist among Green/Weston/Spencer and Kirwan, was Danny. My favorite record has been "Kiln House". My favorite track is "Station Man". It's too bad it took me forever to get around to not only checking them out, but investing some money in those early gems.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I did not discover the early Fleetwood Mac til years after I heard the more famous lineup. Sad his gone, but his life was actually sadder, and maybe he finally found a measure of peace.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 pm

I am not as big a fan of ‘Kiln House’ but that era recorded a song called “Dragonfly” that is a damn good song. His life was indeed a tragic one. Crazy he died the day after the day Bob Welch passed in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 pm

I've been listening to old Mac lately myself........
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 pm

chewie wrote:
I've been listening to old Mac lately myself........

Hey man...what's up?

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm

damn, idk how i didn't hear about this. what a bummer. RIP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RIP Danny Kirwan Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan   RIP Danny Kirwan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Danny Kirwan
Page 1 of 1