Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"It's just a FAD that you're going through....."

Go down 
+15
Addy
Thrasher73
Gilbert
John Madden
corplhicks
exact33
Lari
Stender
akeldama
Wrecked Neck
scottmitchell74
nevermore
FoJ
Big Rich
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

"It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Empty
PostSubject: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 8:38 pm

I remember my family telling me this all the time as a teen. "When you get older you'll laugh about how into heavy metal you were."

I'm the 2nd youngest of 7 kids and have brothers and sisters much much older than me. I now remind them on the regular that it's not a fad. And they were way wrong.

Anybody else have this said to them?
Back to top Go down
FoJ
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Same here. My parents always believed that heavy metal was evil. Seeing how I turned out as an adult, and that I’m still a heavy metal fan, has changed their mind.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm

I heard that a lot. But my folks see now that it was never any type of fad for me.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Yeah, I think this is a recurring theme here. In fact, my daughter was hanging out with me in the garage tonight and she put on some old Iron Maiden records and we were looking at the liners and the lyrics and I was telling her what my parent's thoughts were about "Satanic heavy metal".
Ha! All these years later, still headbanging.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 am

Yes, when I was a kid, my mother always used to say that to me. Then one day while I was stuck listening to the Beatles, her favorite band, it dawned on me. "Mother" I asked, "when you were a kid, what was your favorite band?" She immediately said, "The Beatles" Then I asked, "did your mother think it was just a phase you were going through?" "Yes" she replied. "Then buckle up ma, cause this music you hate so much is my Beatles, and it ain't going nowhere."

Thirty some odd years later, I never had to explain to her again it was just a phase lol
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 am

Didn't we discuss this before? At any rate, I never heard this from my parents. I'm sure I got the occasional eye roll and the "How can you listen to that stuff?" but otherwise it was something I never heard, at least from my parents. One of my former bosses had mentioned it to me.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 pm

As the second youngest of nine and far removed from my siblings on either side I heard it all the time. Not anymore but I credit my eldest brother for my Rock/Metal music taste.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 pm

007 wrote:
Didn't we discuss this before? At any rate

To calm your apocalyptic fears of the dreaded repeated threads 9 years apart, I searched "FAD" before creating the thread and found nothing.

Please return to your regularly scheduled program.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

I never heard this as a kid from my family, my mother didn't like it playing around the house but never told me it would be something I'd grow out of. My dad still listens to metal.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Big Rich wrote:
007 wrote:
Didn't we discuss this before? At any rate

To calm your apocalyptic fears of the dreaded repeated threads 9 years apart, I searched "FAD" before creating the thread and found nothing.

Please return to your regularly scheduled program.

Sorry. I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Stender wrote:
I never heard this as a kid from my family, my mother didn't like it playing around the house but never told me it would be something I'd grow out of. My dad still listens to metal.
I think you'll find most people that this applies to are the old farts like me. Back when metal was new, parents probably didn't know WTF was happening, so they hoped and prayed it was just a phase. Your parents are probably my age, and I bet if you ask your dad, his parents probably thought it was just something he would grow out of eventually.
\'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 am

I don't remember my family caring.

Metal's been pretty mainstream in Finland anyway. I guess if I'd listen to like the most vile brutal extreme stuff or NSBM or something, then there'd have been a reaction. But I don't, so.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Stender wrote:
I think you'll find most people that this applies to are the old farts like me. Back when metal was new, parents probably didn't know WTF was happening, so they hoped and prayed it was just a phase. Your parents are probably my age, and I bet if you ask your dad, his parents probably thought it was just something he would grow out of eventually.
\'arry \'eadbanger

It wasn't my mom so much as it was my older brothers and sisters and their friends. I think my mom liked me getting into metal. I think mom was smart enough to figure out it caused me to meet friends.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 am

I never got much input from my family or friends.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 am

I still get eye-rolls and disappointment from older generations when they discover that I never "outgrew" heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 am

corplhicks wrote:
I still get eye-rolls and disappointment from older generations when they discover that I never "outgrew" heavy metal.

i think that has a lot to do with the popular perception of metal i.e. the glam 80s bands.

John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Metal is way past mainstream at this point.People have been desensitized to extreme metal It's no longer shocking to hear metal anymore, it's just not popular.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2017 3:12 pm

My parents never liked it much. Today, my wife still thinks it is evil and calls it the devil's music.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 am

Don't think they ever said I would outgrow it. They didn't like it blaring through the house though. They did however try to get me to cut my hair which they said I would outgrow. Haha guess they were right about that.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 1:25 am

Gilbert wrote:
My parents never liked it much. Today, my wife still thinks it is evil and calls it the devil's music.

Evil Seed
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 9:32 am

Ive had this said to me, and they were right, cuz for me it was a fad
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 10:19 am

No one ever said this to me. My mother was a concert pianist and my father loved music so something was always playing in our house. All my Mom would do is point out which classical compositions metal bands had ripped off when she walked passed my room. Thanks Mom! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

I don't recall my parents ever saying it to me directly. If they had that opinion, they kept it to themselves.

I did have a similar discussion of sorts with one of my wife's friends years ago who seemed to think I should listen to other music now that I was married and had kids. I saw no reason to change.

We don't really associate with said friend anymore, but I did hear that her husband cheated on her, the marriage is in shambles and they are miserable. Meanwhile, I'm still happily married. Coincidence?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am

My parents didn't care what my brother and I listened to as long as they didn't have to hear it, so all we ever heard was "Turn that down!" Very Happy

Even during the height of the PMRC anti-rock hysteria, all they would ever say was "You spend your money on that stuff?" Haha. Mom was a Beatles fan and Dad was an Elvis fan, and since both of those artists were targeted by the "devil's music" brigade during their heydays, to my parents it must've seemed like "Same nonsense, different decade."  

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I did have a similar discussion of sorts with one of my wife's friends years ago who seemed to think I should listen to other music now that I was married and had kids. I saw no reason to change.

I used to get that from some of my office mates work place, like "You still listen to that stuff? At YOUR age?" ... apparently I was supposed to dump all of my metal CDs and start listening to the Dave Matthews Band when I turned 30. Who knew? haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I used to get that from some of my office mates at my previous work place, like "You still listen to that stuff? At YOUR age?" ... apparently I was supposed to dump all of my metal CDs and start listening to Dave Matthews Band when I turned 30. Who knew? haha.

Ha! That's funny. If I remember correctly (and I know I was drinking at the time), but I used Dave Matthews as my argument too. "Oh, what, I'm a dad so I'm supposed to listen to Dave Matthews now? Please!"

The Dave Matthews Band. The band for white-bread dads everywhere!!  Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."    "It's just a FAD that you're going through....."  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"It's just a FAD that you're going through....."
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: