Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. Adam West

Go down 
+7
DallasBlack
metalinmyveins
nevermore
tohostudios
Lari
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 1:13 pm

So sad to hear about this.

He was awesome as Batman, and he was hilarious on Family Guy.

R.I.P. Adam West. Sad

R.I.P. Adam West Latest?cb=20150822040943
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 4:45 pm

My Adam West story:

Back in '94 or '95 my brother and I went to a rock n roll/TV/movie memorabilia convention where the special guests were Adam West and Ace Frehley. We had met Mr. West a year or so previously at a book signing for his autobiography "Back To The Batcave" and he had been totally cool. Ace was the only original KISS member I'd never met, so I was looking forward to that as well.

Ace arrived late and clearly did not want to be there. He looked hung over and was not friendly to the fans at all - he didn't say hi, didn't shake hands, hell, he didn't even LOOK UP at you, he just signed whatever you put in front of him and you were hustled away. I'm a KISS fan but after that experience I was like "Wow, what a friggin' douche."

Adam West, on the other hand, was a class act, as we'd expected. He answered our fanboy questions, signed all kinds of memorabilia, posed for pics, etc.

During our brief chat with him, my brother asked Mr. West if he'd had a chance to meet Ace Frehley, and Adam said (in that awesome, fatherly Batman tone of voice) "Yes, I did... is he OK? I mean, is he all right in the head?" When we laughed and said "That's why he's the Space Ace," Adam shook his head and sighed, "Is THAT what they call him?" ...we were dyin'.

Later in the day there was a big fuss at Ace Frehley's table because some guy brought his guitar for Ace to autograph, but he wouldn't sign it. The guy then walked to Adam West's table, had HIM sign the guitar, then held it up and yelled loud enough for everyone in the room to hear, "HEY ACE! WHO NEEDS YOU? I GOT F**KIN' BATMAN ON HERE!", flipped him the bird, and stormed out. The place went nuts.

From that day on, Batman > Ace Frehley in my book.

R.I.P. Mr. West. Thanks for the fanboy moment.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't know what Adam West did beyond Batman, but that show was still cool.

I used to watch the Batman reruns as a kid in the 80's. DIdn't think too much of them, though superheroes were always cool. Only later on did I discover how the show works on so many levels. It's camp and amazing.

The bigger coincidence here is that they've been showing these again on one of the local channels, and my 3-year-old caught a glimpse of an episode yesterday and was singing the theme and talking about Batman all day today. He insisted on a Batman story last night as a bedtime story. Prior to last night, he hardly even knew Batman existed. Such a strange thing for me since I haven't really seen Adam West in like decades, and then suddenly I watch an episode with my son, and the next day Adam West is dead.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My Adam West story:

Back in '94 or '95 my brother and I went to a rock n roll/TV/movie memorabilia convention where the special guests were Adam West and Ace Frehley. We had met Mr. West a year or so previously at a book signing for his autobiography "Back To The Batcave" and he had been totally cool. Ace was the only original KISS member I'd never met, so I was looking forward to that as well.

Ace arrived late and clearly did not want to be there. He looked hung over and was not friendly to the fans at all - he didn't say hi, didn't shake hands, hell, he didn't even LOOK UP at you, he just signed whatever you put in front of him and you were hustled away. I'm a KISS fan but after that experience I was like "Wow, what a friggin' douche."

Adam West, on the other hand, was a class act, as we'd expected. He answered our fanboy questions, signed all kinds of memorabilia, posed for pics, etc.

During our brief chat with him, my brother asked Mr. West if he'd had a chance to meet Ace Frehley, and Adam said (in that awesome, fatherly Batman tone of voice) "Yes, I did... is he OK? I mean, is he all right in the head?" When we laughed and said "That's why he's the Space Ace," Adam shook his head and sighed, "Is THAT what they call him?" ...we were dyin'.

Later in the day there was a big fuss at Ace Frehley's table because some guy brought his guitar for Ace to autograph, but he wouldn't sign it. The guy then walked to Adam West's table, had HIM sign the guitar, then held it up and yelled loud enough for everyone in the room to hear, "HEY ACE! WHO NEEDS YOU? I GOT F**KIN' BATMAN ON HERE!", flipped him the bird, and stormed out. The place went nuts.

Laughing very hard

Great story FF!

My only Adam West story is that like every child of the 60s I grew up as a Batman fanboy. I had Batman puzzles, games, posters, models...you name it. I thought Batman was sooooo cool.

It wasn't until years later when I caught some episodes on cable that I realized how deliberately campy and hilarious the show was.

Even now as a HUGE fan of the "Gotham" TV series, I keep comparing the characters from Gotham to the same characters in the "Batman" I grew up with. Obviously there really is no comparison because Gotham is much more true to the dark source material but I still find it interesting to compare "Riddlers", "Penguins", "Catwomen", "Alfreds", etc between the two shows.

RIP Mr. West. You were definitely a 60s TV icon.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Required Fields wrote:
So sad to hear about this.

Not exactly a tragedy.

Adam was 88, and lived a (glorious) full life. Not necessarily a "sad" way to go, really. I mean, I feel envious of the bloke. That's a good life. I'm sorry people have to die, but his life's work was essentially done. It's not sad like when people in their 20s go.

Anyway, his life should be celebrated. Adam West was a cult hero and an icon. And I love that story by FF, too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 pm

R.I.P.

The best Batman ever!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My Adam West story:

I read this yesterday when you posted it on FB. Such a great story!!!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 1:24 pm

nevermore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
My Adam West story:

I read this yesterday when you posted it on FB. Such a great story!!!

I read this as well yesterday and I must concur, that's a great story. I think that I remember you mentioning something about this story before on this site? It might have been an Ace Frehley discussion? Regardless, I was laughing my ass off, all the while hearing the late Adam West's voice, while he interacted with yourself and your brother. It's occurred to me that most funny stories you mention on here, also include your brother!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 1:58 pm

^^ I'm sure I probably told that story around here before; it's one of my favorites Very Happy

Quote :
It's occurred to me that most funny stories you mention on here, also include your brother!

Yeah, my bro and I had quite a few interesting adventures back in the day; that's what happens when you're both total dorks with no girlfriends. It frees up lots of time to hang out in record stores, comic book stores, go to concerts, movies, conventions, etc., etc. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Never one to shy away from making fun of himself (Newsradio, Family Guy, Fairly Oddparents), he was a class act!

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 6:09 am

That's a great story Freddy!
R.I.P Mr West, you will always be THE Batman to me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 am

RIP Mr. West. Like the rest of you, he was THE Batman to me. I loved the show as a kid and never missed it. Hell, I sometimes watch it late night Saturdays. Plus he was great in everything else he was in.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 10:58 am

My Adam West/Batman story pales in comparison to Freddy's, but I too met the man albeit many, many years ago.

It was at a car show in the mid-70's. I'm pretty sure there exists a pic of me with Adam West and Burt Ward in costume. There were a couple a people dressed as Cornelius and Zira from 'Planet of the Apes' there too, but according to my mom, I was too scared to go near them for a pic.

Farewell, Mr. West. Thanks for the memories. You were THE Batman.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I think I remember that he wanted a part in one of the Tim Burton Batman movies.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 pm

One of my favorite Adam West guest appearances:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Pure West...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 5:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Pure West...

When my bro and I first met Adam in the early 90s, we told him that we'd really liked his appearance on "The Simpsons," and he said "That was one of the most fun things I've gotten to do."

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2017 6:32 pm

That's the Mr. Plow episode, isn't it? Classic!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 am

Los Angeles honored Adam West last night. This is pretty cool news.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bat-signal-lights-up-los-angeles-in-tribute-to-adam-west/ar-BBCKlMP?li=BBnb7Kz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 6:05 pm

007 wrote:
Los Angeles honored Adam West last night. This is pretty cool news.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bat-signal-lights-up-los-angeles-in-tribute-to-adam-west/ar-BBCKlMP?li=BBnb7Kz

I saw that on the national news. Very cool.

R.I.P. Adam West Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Adam West   R.I.P. Adam West Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Adam West
Page 1 of 1