Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First

Go down 
+12
martinsane
James B.
MoonChild
brokentulsa
chewie
nevermore
Glower
bgsully
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
akeldama
corplhicks
16 posters

Favorite WaCF Track
And the Cradle Will Rock
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap28%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 28% [ 5 ]
Everybody Wants Some!
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap33%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
Fools
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap11%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Romeo Delight
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap11%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Tora! Tora!/Loss of Control
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap0%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Take Your Whiskey Home
 11% [ 2 ]
Could this be Magic?
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap6%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
In a Simple Rhyme
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_lcap0%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Huzzah for a day off work finally. Now to get back to business...

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Van+Halen+Women+And+Children+First

Recorded Dec '79 - Feb '80
Released 3/26/80

Absolutely the pinnacle of VH's career and the final step before things really went south (arguable starting with the disaster-filled photo shoot for the album). There's no way anyone can listen to this album and think these boys are having a rough time. It's a wild, crazy, sonic spin from start to finish, with no fireworks to spare. The tension that can be heard in the three albums after this are nowhere to be found. And Romeo Delight is the thrashiest proto-thrash song I've ever heard.

So it may surprise some to hear that my favorite track is actually "Could This be Magic." Yes, it's a Dave number, and no, there's no shredding to be found here or pyrotechnics. But it's quite simply a lovely song that defies genre and era. Dave's crooning, coupled with some damn classy poetics, is as spot-on as it was for Little Dreamer. The harmonies carry so much bliss and joy. I still catch myself singing the chorus at any random point in the day. But, most importantly, it was here that we learned Eddie was quite accomplished at slide work. And the band sounds so damn happy.

Honorable mentions: In A Simple Rhyme (their perfect pop song), Take Your Whiskey Home (swagger-haven).

I also prefer the original cut of Growth where it faded out in anticipation of returning for the next album.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:06 pm

I went with 'Fools', I like when the main riff kicks in about a minute and a half into the song and Mikey gets a chance throughout the song to stray from copying the main riff or doing his signature da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da and venture just far enough to show he has some prowess on the bass. Lyrically it's probably the weakest on the album but the lyrics suit the music rather well.

As far as "Growth' is concerned it appeared some years later on EVH's tongue.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Evah-buddy wants some! Ah want some tooooo!
Evah-buddy wants some! Baby how'bout chooooo?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Great album! I picked "Everybody Wants Some" but I love everything on this. "Romeo Delight" absolutely rips!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:48 pm

I went with Cradle.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 7:44 pm

This release was huge for me. Saw the tour concert.
It was the only time that I saw the band, a way back seat.
The vibe at that time, was close to the unique vibe Sabbath previously had.
A few years later, I remember playing in a garage band Everybody Wants Some -
The intro drumming was similar to TUSK by Fleetwood Mac...but wowza...
Even in a garage band, that song was outrageous.

I picked Whiskey Home....southern blues hint.....
.swampy....moonshine...canoe....
Love the spot on perfect singing in the beginning
to the old folk guitar with nylon strings....
"Some go to women. Some go to Jesus.
Though I'm absolutely certain both are all right "

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Everybody Wants Some with Could This Be Magic a close second.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 10:20 pm

It was a toss up between Everybody Wants Some! and Romeo Delight...........

Went with Romeo Delight. That song just ROCKS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 12:42 am

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 2:51 am

Love the whole album but went with 'Everybody wants some"..my second choice would be "In a Simple Rhyme"...and that cool little riff that closes out the album  ...
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 4:07 am

Everybody Wants Some!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 11:18 am

"Everybody Wants Some"

This was one album that came with a poster that didn't get put up on the wall. Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 2:14 pm

James B. wrote:
"Everybody Wants Some"

This was one album that came with a poster that didn't get put up on the wall. Laughing very hard

My elder sister had it up in her room... sick
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Went with Cradle but as mentioned the album is most excellent and who could forget this from the movie Better Off Dead:

https://youtu.be/kz6Kcz62onA
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Romeo Delight
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 8:02 pm

martinsane wrote:
Went with Cradle but as mentioned the album is most excellent and who could forget this from the movie Better Off Dead:

https://youtu.be/kz6Kcz62onA

Crazy absurdist fun all in that flick, but that sequence is the best part.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 am

Take your Whiskey Home!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 9:33 am

Everybody Wants Some !!
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Fools and Romeo Delight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Women and Children First
Page 1 of 1