Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions

Go down 
+2
tohostudios
Required Fields
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28456

The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Empty
PostSubject: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 pm

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Washington Capitals (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd in Metropolitan Division)
The two biggest stars in hockey to start their careers in the 21st century are no doubt Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. This playoff season will now see them play against each other. Pittsburgh got off to a rough start during the regular season, but after Christmas, the Penguins were off and flying, and have been red hot ever since. They got revenge on the New York Rangers in the opening round by defeating them in just five games in the opening round of the playoffs (one year earlier, the Rangers defeated the Penguins in five games in the opening round). Many people say this is finally the year that the Capitals win their first ever Stanley Cup. Despite phenomenal regular seasons, Ovechkin has yet to lead the Capitals beyond the second round of the playoffs. Of the five games Pittsburgh and Washington played against each other, Pittsburgh won three of the games.
Prediction: Washington in seven games.

Tampa Bay Lightning (2nd in Northeast Division) vs. New York Islanders (1st Eastern Conference wild card)
The wait is over for New York Islanders fans. They have finally advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs again. The Islanders defeated the Florida Panthers in six games in the opening round to advance in the playoffs for the first time since 1993. They will face the Tampa Bay Lightning in the second round. The Lightning managed to defeat the Detroit Red Wings in only five games in the opening round, despite being without their star player, Steven Stamkos. Many say that if Tampa Bay continues to play as well as they have without Stamkos, they may very well return to the Stanley Cup Finals if and when he returns.
Prediction: Tampa Bay in six games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Dallas Stars (1st in Central Division) vs. St. Louis Blues (2nd in Central Division)
The St. Louis Blues enter the second round of the playoffs with a lot of momentum after defeating the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Chicago Blackhawks. They face the Dallas Stars, the team with the best record in the Western Conference during the regular season, and the only Western Conference team remaining in the playoffs with a Stanley Cup win to their credit (Dallas won their only Stanley Cup in 1999). St. Louis won four of the five meetings between the two teams during the regular season. The two teams last met in the playoffs in 2001, when St. Louis swept Dallas in the second round.
Prediction: St. Louis in seven games.

San Jose Sharks (3rd in Pacific Division) vs. Nashville Predators (1st wild card)
The Nashville Predators pulled off the big upset in the opening round by shocking the Anaheim Ducks in seven games. They face the San Jose Sharks, whom most did not even expect to see in the post-season at all this year, let alone expect to see advance in the playoffs. The Predators won two of the three meetings between the two teams during the regular season. The Sharks and Predators have met twice in the playoffs before (in 2005-06 and again in 2006-07), with the Sharks being victorious both times.
Prediction: San Jose in seven games.

Last edited by Required Fields on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't really follow hockey but when the Blues are in the playoffs there's no escaping it if you follow sports at all. 

I do know that for ONCE the Blues made it past the first round which is considered something of a miracle around here given their recent track record.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

As well as the Penguins have fared against the Caps this year, I have to go with the top seeded Caps. The Pens have been underperforming in the playoffs for quite some time (as have the Caps), but I believe it's finally Washington's year.

As for the Lightning/Islanders series, I'm going with the Lightning. I was really surprised that the Islanders made it to the second round.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Caps and Islanders
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 am

Lame to make picks after one Game 1 has already been played, but I'm late so what can I do.

Capitals - Penguins 2-4
Caps have Barry Trotz coaching, so it's not the team of old, BUT the Penguins are still the hottest team in the league, and were probably the most impressive team in the first round. My gut says Sid will out-duel Al-O.

Lightning - Islanders 1-4
Tavares is a stud that will carry this team through. The Bolts are a good, but sans-Stamkos, not the same team as last season. In fact, I think the Panthers would have been the favourites here as well.

Stars - Blues 0-4
The Blues got over the hump, and seem like the team of destiny this season. Kind of reminds me of the 2011 Canucks. I guess that means they'll win the West, and lose in the finals. The Stars don't have defense or goaltending. I see a possible mismatch.

Sharks - Predators 4-3
This will be the tightest series in round 2. Multiple overtime games and it comes down to who gets the bounces. Sharks will control the puck more, but that's not always enough to beat the Predators.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 8:41 am

Gotta go with the hometown Caps...... BUT I wouldn't be surprised if we have our annual playoff melt down....
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 pm

Blues & Sharks in the West. I am really pulling for Ovie to finally make it past round 2 and get the cup.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 1:48 pm

I know it was only game 2 but the Caps seemed to have lost steam last night.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 12:37 am

Caps choke again!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 7:47 am

Nice to see the Penguins prevail. I really thought they wouldn't make it past the Caps, but the Pens showed a lot of guts and outplayed the higher seeded team and that was with Crosby and Malkin only having 2 points a piece in the series.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Yeah, I am an Avs then Blackhawks fan but the Pens are right up there for me too. I really was pulling for Ovie to finally get a ring though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: