Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?

Go down 
+5
exact33
stepcousin
DallasBlack
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 10:38 am

Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Saviour%20Machine-One

I've only recently discovered the Christian goth/rock band Saviour Machine, though they've been kicking around since the early 90s. The last time I ordered from RadRockers they threw in a freebie copy of an old Intense Records compilation CD from '93 called "Hot Metal V: Screaming Truth" with their track "Carnival Of Souls" on it, and though it took me a while I finally got hold of Saviour Machine's S/T debut which includes that track. Man, this is some WEIRD stuff. Not exactly what I would normally listen to as it's not exactly metal (waaaaay gothic... kinda like U2 meets BLOODY KISSES era Type O Negative) but it's still a very interesting (and odd) listen. I'm told that these guys were pretty controversial in the Christian rock/metal scene back when this album came out due to their wild appearance and apocalyptic lyrical outlook. Can anyone fill me in on that? And are their other albums worth owning?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 11:50 am

I really like this band, however IMO their best album is "I", which you already have.

I have two of the "Legend" albums, and they are ok. They are actually pretty boring as there is little memorability. It's more 'soundtrack goth stuff'.

I love that first album though - but sadly, they never topped it. They are supposed to release one more "Legend" album and then call it quits. I wish they would have stayed in the vein of the first album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

Not a fan. Have owned most of their CDs, only to trade them. I guess I am just not a fan of goth.

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 3:03 pm

I checked them out after the singer appeared on an Ayreon album. He has an amazing voice, but I just could not get into Saviour Machine at all. I had one of the Legend CDs, part two, I think, but I traded it away through lala. It did nothing for me at all.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I checked them out after the singer appeared on an Ayreon album. He has an amazing voice, but I just could not get into Saviour Machine at all. I had one of the Legend CDs, part two, I think, but I traded it away through lala. It did nothing for me at all.

That particular album was an experimental sound. Due to the part of Revelations Eric Clayton was conveying it required a different sound than the rest of the series. Part III:I was a lot more metal and more song oriented so you might want to try out that one (part II is NOT a good starting point for someone wanting to check them out). Part I is o.k. but to really get a good starting point you want to check out the albums Saviour Machine and Saviour Machine II (they may very well interest you judging by your posts on this discussion board).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Figures. Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 4:49 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I really like this band, however IMO their best album is "I", which you already have.

I have two of the "Legend" albums, and they are ok. They are actually pretty boring as there is little memorability. It's more 'soundtrack goth stuff'.

I love that first album though - but sadly, they never topped it. They are supposed to release one more "Legend" album and then call it quits. I wish they would have stayed in the vein of the first album.

As I told Eyesore, Legend Part III:I is IMO the very best of their catalog (mainly with help from Narnia's Carl Johan Grimmark on guitar which gives it more of a metal quality). The songs are the most memorable of the Legend series. The last one is on hold due to Eric Clayton's health problems (resulting from a life-time of extreme acid reflux and work overload). But when it comes out it is supposed to be an accumulation of all of Saviour Machine's music and Eric guarantees it will please fans of all stages of thier career.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 9:44 pm

oh yeah, I love Saviour machine. You either get them or you dont. I do. As far as being "goth", they are nowhere near as goth as most total goth bands, which Im not a big fan of. Savuiour Machine is more Metal Opera to me.

to me, Saviour Machine is second only to Dream Theater in metal IQ. those of you who love metal and have an IQ know what Im talkin' about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 9:49 pm

stepcousin wrote:
to me, Saviour Machine is second only to Dream Theater in metal IQ. those of you who love metal and have an IQ know what Im talkin' about.
Everyone has an IQ.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 10:09 pm

like SM a lot. I think they are entertaining but dont have the great individual songs like most other bands but do more of an entire cd thing.

I think eric clayton was great on Narnia's The Great Fall as well..

Alex

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 pm

One of my all time favs, will be covering a song or two on my CD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 12:48 am

i have Legend Part 1 & 2. i don't like them though.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 1:26 am

I think III:I is a really good album if you are in the mood, but they don't do much for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 am

I used to love them. They were actually one of my favorite bands back in the early 00s.

Not sure what happened, but I tired of them. I like a lot of goth stuff too so I'm not sure why. They just bore me now.

Perhaps it's more a 'seasonal' band for me. I might be in the mood for them later on - so I won't get rid of the cds I have.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:51 am

Eyesore wrote:

You should hear their version of Pour Some Suger On Me. just kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?   Saviour Machine -- Any Fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saviour Machine -- Any Fans?
Page 1 of 1