Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keith Emerson R.I.P

Go down 
+11
Wurthless
chewie
corplhicks
tohostudios
Glower
Citanul
Required Fields
Thelemech
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Keith Emerson R.I.P Empty
PostSubject: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 4:29 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35787187

Not the biggest ELP fan but sad news all the same. Another legend gone R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Yep, that's a bummer. Gonna have to bust out my Best of ELP disc over the weekend.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:04 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 10:43 pm

I was never that much of an ELP fan, but there's no denying that he was one of the keyboard greats. So it's definitely sad news, especially the way that it happened.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3172

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Cool video ( no pun attended ) Never really listened to them or knew anyone who listened to them - but did know their names and knew they were thought of highly by some music lovers. Cold weather HAS TO play havoc with the instruments tuning. Wild idea. Their 70's look is so classic. The sound. Zep was at their hieght during this stadium recording. KISS too. Kind of haunting how such a large place was empty. Nice clip of em in action for sure !
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Yeah, not a big ELP fan here either but I respect what they did within the progressive rock genre.  But they did give us Karn Evil 9 and the classic lyric:

Quote :
Performing on a stool we've a sight to make you drool
Seven virgins and a mule, keep it cool, keep it cool

The adolescent me heard that and went "Whoa..."

RIP Keith.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Only a casual fan, have all their albums on vinyl and spin the earlier works more frequently than the latter. I also am a defender of the much-maligned and misunderstood Tarkus.

All that aside, being a lover of old-school synth work and tech, this is a rough loss. I was really hoping to see him in concert at least once before his passing. Too late now. RIP.

Looks like they're confirming it as suicide now. Real tragic. I had no idea he was going through any kind of pain.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 9:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Only a casual fan, have all their albums on vinyl and spin the earlier works more frequently than the latter. I also am a defender of the much-maligned and misunderstood Tarkus.

Who maligns and misunderstands this album! It's one of my favorites, especially the title track. I cut my drumming teeth on that song!

Quote :
Looks like they're confirming it as suicide now. Real tragic. I had no idea he was going through any kind of pain.

Oooo. That sucks!!!! Neither did I.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39578

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Suicide ?

What a shame. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 1:18 pm

This is really sad news. Just heard about it today. Apparently he killed himself because he felt he couldn't perform perfectly anymore, and his girlfriend said it was in response to comments online along the lines of, "why is he still performing, he should retire."

RIP. I'm jamming Tarkus right now in his memory.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 pm

Not real familiar with ELP, but I understand his importance and contributions to the whole prog rock genre. Real shame that all these guys are passing at such a rapid rate.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 6:36 am

I remember a different version of ELP - Emerson, Lake and Powell. This song was pretty good when it was new and I remember our rock station at the time played it a lot. (The video incorrectly lists it as Palmer not Powell but Cozy is the one on this song).

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 am

Not a fan of their music per se... but ELP at least had a very cool album cover done by H.R. Giger, (long before Danzig).  

RIP
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Apparently he killed himself because he felt he couldn't perform perfectly anymore

He was suffering from Karpal Tunnel Syndrome, had surgery that didn't fix it and that was years ago. All the time he played with pain and barely able to play the same as before.

I kinda doubt he killed himself because of what some people said online. Considering ELP were always hated by critics that should led him to suicide in the 70's already. Take that retard Robert Christgau: For years he constantly shitted all over the band, called them everything from stupid to pretentious to useless and untalented, even attacked fans of the band (they're stupid for liking them)
It's interesting how hated ELP were and yet they still were one of the most popular bands in the 70's for good reasons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keith Emerson R.I.P   Keith Emerson R.I.P Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keith Emerson R.I.P
Page 1 of 1