Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Empty
PostSubject: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Certainly not a typical ELP album but Powell brings a harder rock sound to the drums and I love the epic feel. Where do you think this stands in their catalog.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Not just the song but the whole album.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I am a huge Cozy fan, he influenced my playing alot as a pup. I was a casual ELP fan and bought this mainly to Cozy being involved. It is different than the band's other releases. I place it in the same vein as Yes' putting out 90210, though not as good. "Touch and Go" could of been on the b-side of "owner of a lonely heart" or visa/versa

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Touch And Go is one of my favorite songs from the 80's! I agree with James that this album is fairly close in spirit to albums like 90125 or the first Asia album.

They had to find a drummer whose last name started with a "P", they couldn't possibly have chosen a better candidate.

Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score 25679
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Wow, I haven't thought of this album in decades! I have it on vinyl somewhere. I still remember Touch And Go; that's the song that made me buy the album. It got airplay on the album FM station I used to listen to.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Step Aside is another of my favorite tracks, a little Brubeck-influenced groove and Emerson's jazz chops are better than I remembered.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Listening to that YouTube clip of Touch and Go, I definitely hear Asia.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm

It's more progressive than either 90125 or Asia's albums, but still fairly accessible.

Funny how it took this long for Greg Lake to participate in a recording of Mars: Bringer of War which was a concert staple of King Crimson when Lake was the vocalist.

The only track I don't like is "Lay Down Your Guns" which is too maudlin.

Otherwise a killer album and better than ELP's late 70's efforts.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 pm

where did I get 90210 from ?

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm

James B. wrote:

Beverly Hills would like it back. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

Beverly Hills would like it back. Very Happy

I think that I went to alot pf parties there in the early/mid 80's but I NEVER watched the TV show.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm happy to say I didn't either, I just think it's funny because that's the only zip code in Beverly Hills.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:49 pm

If you're going to pop up your prog then this is the way to do it.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:08 pm

This is a good ELP album and much better than................... Love Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I used to have this on cassette and I used to love it, but I have not heard it in decades, may have spring for the CD version of this album one of these centuries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:58 pm

manny wrote:
I used to have this on cassette and I used to love it, but I have not heard it in decades, may have spring for the CD version of this album one of these centuries.

You can get it used on Amazon for about $1.

There are a couple bonus tracks, including a prog cover of The Locomotion!

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:23 am

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:

That is atrocious(the Locomotion cover, that is. I think that it is an instrumental as well).............. awful!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:20 am

chewie wrote:
S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:

That is atrocious(the Locomotion cover, that is. I think that it is an instrumental as well).............. awful!!!

I didn't say it was good, but it is hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Why did rock bands want ot cover that song? scratch
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Why did rock bands want ot cover that song? scratch

Grand Funk did a decent version bak in 73' Had the 45 rpm

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Touch And Go is one of my favorite songs from the 80's! I agree with James that this album is fairly close in spirit to albums like 90125 or the first Asia album.

They had to find a drummer whose last name started with a "P", they couldn't possibly have chosen a better candidate.

Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score 25679
Oh wow, haven't heard that song in a long time. Gonna have to check 'em out again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score   Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emerson Lake & Powell-The Score
Page 1 of 1