Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RE-RECORDS

Go down 
+10
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Runicen
Sword Of The Heretic
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
brokentulsa
14 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Lots of old bands these days are re-recording their old songs and albums...What do you guys and gals think about that.. For me some are good (Foreigner, Eagles, Stryper) and Some are ok (Kiss) some are horrible (Dokken)....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:58 pm

The only one that did anything for me was the Anthrax one as I think that John Bush is streets ahead of either Neil or Joey.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Saxon has done this half a dozen times. The only one I thought was awesome is the "Unplugged and Unstrung" album. That was actually a creative idea. Other than that? Dickinson covering a few Di'Anno tunes was interesting as b-sides.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:01 pm

And Boris is off his rocker on the "Greater of Two Evils" album. That was sacrilege.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:19 pm

I like all of the Testament re-recordings. I also like the Saxon and Anthrax re-recordings.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Not really into this in general.

I did like when TESTAMENT did "Reign of Terror" though.

There probably are a few other good examples but I can't think of many.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:57 pm

I generally don't like them. The originals sound so much better to my ears, probably because I'm just too used to them that way. I mean, I get why they do it but it just isn't the same.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Do people like any of these:

I believe this is new vocals only.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Those were bonus tracks on the Japanese "Bullet Train" single. Interesting, but not really an improvement over the original.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Amorphis released an album of rerecorded songs in 2010. I enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 7:05 pm

The only reason any of these bands do this is financial. They can't afford to license the original recordings from the record labels that own them, so they re-record them in the hopes of being able to make a little more money from their compositions. I understand the reasoning and empathize with them, but it's also rarely done for artistic purposes.

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 7:12 pm

I agree with detuned. Although - I think Bruce recording tracks in the studio from the 2 Di'Anno albums was done for artistic merit. I would hate to think he recorded them just to be an asshole - but, who knows for sure?
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 7:40 am

It's really going to be a question of what comes out of it, for me.

I finally got a copy of Michael Kiske's "Past in Different Ways" album where he does a sort of unplugged treatment of his old Helloween stuff. I wasn't expecting much, but found that I could just keep spinning that album AND that some of the songs (We Got the Right, namely) were better in their stripped down form than the originals.

Likewise, when you're talking about something like Jon Oliva's Savatage re-recordings as bonus tracks on the last round of reissues, it gives a different interpretation of some songs and adds to the catalog. Even the re-records that didn't set the world on fire were cool to hear.

When you're just doing note-perfect renditions, my interest goes out the window.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 8:50 am

Stryper's Second Coming re-recordings were pretty good, they scraped off the high gloss production and sounded a little more "raw."

The KISS re-recordings that came with Sonic Boom didn't sound radically different from the originals. I have a theory that they didn't re-cut those songs as a way to improve/update their oldies, but as a method to f*ck Ace and Peter out of future performance royalties by using the "updated" versions for licensing purposes - i.e. video games, TV commercials, etc.

I'm pretty sure that the Scorpions' re-do's on Comeblack were done for similar commercial reasons. They certainly didn't go out of their way to change much of their Greatest Hits. The only one that I can honestly say was improved was "Rhythm Of Love," which is ballsier than the ultra-slick original

I recently picked up the Dokken re-records (Anthems, aka Greatest Hits) and they're unnecessary at best. If nothing else, they make you notice how much Don Dokken's voice has gone downhill, and how much of a George Lynch clone Jon Levin is on guitar. Fortunately the four new songs at the end of the disc are worth having cuz I'll probably never listen to the re-recordings again.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I agree with detuned.  Although - I think Bruce recording tracks in the studio from the 2 Di'Anno albums was done for artistic merit.  I would hate to think he recorded them just to be an asshole - but, who knows for sure?

If I am not mistake, Wrathchild 99 was newly recorded vocals and an entire remix. Rumor is it was Kevin Shirley's audition for to be the producer of Brave New World.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 11:01 am

Just listened to that "Wrathchild", as I wasn't aware of it before. The first two IM are my favorite, and it feels different with Dickinson vocalist. He's a better vocalist, and Paul D. gives those records a certain grit that Bruce does not.

I liked Exodus' re-recording of the Bonded by Blood album with Dukes. Nowhere near as good as the original, but I thought it was a pretty fun listen, if simply for the novelty.

I do want to hear Manowar's re-recorded albums...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Ha.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 12:03 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
 Other than that?  Dickinson covering a few Di'Anno tunes was interesting as b-sides.

Now that really is sacrilege! Much better than the horrible 99 version was this one from '81 (rumoured to be his audition for the band and featuring some mighty impressive Gillaning.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 pm

The only recent re records (of all the stuff mentioned above) that I didn't care for were the Kiss (b/c they didn't really sound much different) and the Dokken "Anthems" as it shows what a bad place Don is in vocally. The ones I really liked were Stryper and Anthrax. I prefer the originals but really like JB's vox on the updates too. Plus, different production values and updated techniques.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Eh, I can take 'em or leave 'em anymore. If it's a band I'm already familiar with and they are re-doing it for financial reasons, good for them I guess. It's not going to take away from my enjoyment/memories of the originals. Unless they are doing something drastic to change it up (ie different vocalist or unplugged), I'm not interested.

If it's a band I don't know very well, it might be a cool way for me to sample some of their work.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 2:30 am

I don't think every re-recording is done for financial reasons. Certainly when Def Leppard re-recorded "Hysteria," "Rock of Ages," and "Pour Some Sugar on Me," they did it for that reason (they even admitted it). But I'm pretty sure Helloween recorded Unarmed solely for creative purposes.

Anyway, one album that does work is First Strike Still Deadly. In my opinion it is far superior to the original Testament tunes. Such a badass album. I know some of you old(er) farts will disagree, but I would be perfectly okay with Testament giving every pre-Low song this re-recording treatment.

In general, though, I'm kind of indifferent to them. Sometimes they work, more often they don't.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

I totally disagree that TESTAMENT improved those songs. The solos got messed up (which was the best thing about that band) and some of the vocals aren't too hot. The drumming does sound better at times though and I liked the new version of "Reign of Terror".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RE-RECORDS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RE-RECORDS   RE-RECORDS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RE-RECORDS
Page 1 of 1