Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ZZTop: What's their best stuff?

Go down 
+8
Fat Freddy
Runicen
brokentulsa
Gilbert
Eyesore
Troublezone
Lari
muckie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Empty
PostSubject: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 8:53 pm

I know ZZ is more HR than HM, but wondering what their prime material is. I heard their song "Sleeping Bag" on this Billboard #1 80's Hits and thought it really sucked. And besides the really popular songs by them that are overplayed, I haven't heard much else.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 8:55 pm

If you like Sleeping Bag, then Afterburner and Eliminator. Very easy to find and cheap.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Lari wrote:
If you like Sleeping Bag, then Afterburner and Eliminator. Very easy to find and cheap.

But that's the thing. I didn't like Sleeping Bag. I said it sucked. So why are you recommending me stuff I don't want to hear? And if something of that quality is so cheap, then well, that pretty much speaks for itself. Though this is not always true, thankfully.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 pm

I personally like their Eliminator album the best. But their bluesier stuff from the 70s is great too! Check out Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres and Deguello.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 pm

muckie wrote:
Lari wrote:

But that's the thing. I didn't like Sleeping Bag. I said it sucked. So why are you recommending me stuff I don't want to hear? And if something of that quality is so cheap, then well, that pretty much speaks for itself. Though this is not always true, thankfully.

Everything up through Eliminator, in my opinion, is gold. Afterburner is pretty weak, a failed attempt at recreating Eliminator. Recycler does a better job at it, but...man, what an appropriate album title.

I like Antenna, as it sounds like an album that could have been stylistic bridge between El Loco and Eliminator. Rhythmeen and XXX are pretty hit or miss. More miss, though. Mescalero and La Futura are pretty solid, especially La Futura.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 pm

You're starting too late in their career.

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? 61ZkLfRyZAL._SX425_

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? 51uRLsv4raL._SX425_

and my personal favorite...

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? 91peLt6svsL._SX425_
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Start with a best of or somerhing. this is what I usually do, when new into a band.

they have a very good compilation cd, but I can't remember its name now.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 am

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Z

ZZTop: What's their best stuff? 71NmdKW3qGL._SX450_
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 8:32 am

There are two ZZ Tops as far as I'm concerned. If you listen to the early stuff, it's bluesy and has a shuffle to it but some material borders on having a country twang to it.

As you go on, they kept the shuffle and it's certainly got blues to it, but it's more "rock" overall and the twang has more or less departed.

I can't speak for their latest material, but everything up to Recycler seems to follow this progression.

You could always start where most people did and check out Eliminator. If that album doesn't appeal to you, I sort of suspect none of their other stuff will as it's the most immediately accessible they did. I love all the early stuff, but that was their breakthrough and I suspect with reason.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 9:27 am

muckie wrote:
Lari wrote:

But that's the thing. I didn't like Sleeping Bag. I said it sucked.

Sorry. I misread the post.

insane
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 10:58 am

I have ZZ Top's Greatest Hits CD and that's pretty much all I will ever need from them.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 11:04 am

When the drum machines enter their sound....I exit.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 11:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have ZZ Top's Greatest Hits CD and that's pretty much all I will ever need from them.

I was like that for the longest time too. Then about a year or so ago, this came out...

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t19804-zz-top-the-complete-studio-albums-1970-1990-box-set?highlight=ZZ+albums

It doesn't have much in the way of frills, but for quality of music, you can't beat the price. There is allot of deep tracks that more than make-up for all the overplayed stuff. Pick this up and you'll have more ZZ than you'll ever need.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 8:10 pm

Runicen wrote:
There are two ZZ Tops as far as I'm concerned.  If you listen to the early stuff, it's bluesy and has a shuffle to it but some material borders on having a country twang to it.  

As you go on, they kept the shuffle and it's certainly got blues to it, but it's more "rock" overall and the twang has more or less departed.  

I can't speak for their latest material, but everything up to Recycler seems to follow this progression.

You could always start where most people did and check out Eliminator.  If that album doesn't appeal to you, I sort of suspect none of their other stuff will as it's the most immediately accessible they did.  I love all the early stuff, but that was their breakthrough and I suspect with reason.

This, muckie. This right here.

I was introduced to ZZ as a kid from the vids on Mtv so the drum machine sound and fuzz will always have a soft spot in Sentinel's heart. But, their earlier, blusier stuff is my fave: De Guello, Tres Hombres, and Fandango are the 3 most played.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 11:22 am

The best Compilation is probably "Rancho Texicano: The Very Best of ZZ Top", the 2 CD Box contains 38 Songs (with 1 live song, 2 remixes) and gives a good overview from the beginning to the mid-90's.

Otherwise there's also a Original Album Series 5 CD Pack that contains Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, Fandango!, Deüello and Eliminator, those boxes are sold dirt cheap, don't come with any extras but it's a good start i think.

On a sidenote: You have to be careful with some compilations and Best of as they might include the old 70's songs in their 80's remixed fashion. Somebody at Warner thought it'd be a great idea to remix all old albums in the sound of Eliminator and sell them that way instead of how they were originally recorded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 am

ShadowAngel wrote:

On a sidenote: You have to be careful with some compilations and Best of as they might include the old 70's songs in their 80's remixed fashion. Somebody at Warner thought it'd be a great idea to remix all old albums in the sound of Eliminator and sell them that way instead of how they were originally recorded.

I believe the Rancho Texicano compilation you mentioned has the 80's remixes on them. The box set I mentioned a few posts up has all the original mixes restored to them. If that sort of thing matters to you, Muckie.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Avoid the '6 pack box set"
ZZTop: What's their best stuff? 220px-Six_Pack_%28Cover_art%29_Front
It has the crappy synth drums remixed into 5 of the 6 albums...the exception being "El Loco" which already had it in places.

I got a 10 cd box at Wally World for 20 bucks for the truck & car & snowmobiles
The Complete Studio albums 1970-1990
ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Th?id=OIP.Mc785f555a793ff0dd2e94f8072b769cao0&pid=15

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 7:48 pm

It kinda sucks for Frank Beard that most songs use a drum machine. It's like he's only needed for touring purposes nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 7:46 am

Am I the only one who has kind of a soft spot for the Six Pack set? Yeah, I've heard the original versions and I totally get why people were torqued off when they heard the remixes, but the remixes have this bizarre charm to them - lots of '70s grit but with those weird, quantized '80s drums. I think they're fun if they're taken as their own thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZZTop: What's their best stuff?   ZZTop: What's their best stuff? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZZTop: What's their best stuff?
Page 1 of 1