Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48

Go down 
+24
nevermore
Vexer6
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
Lurideath
80s Metal Lady
Thelemech
the sentinel
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Runicen
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
MoonChild
Thrasher73
Troublezone
James B.
Eyesore
chewie
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 4:29 pm

I hate to say it but I'm not really surprised. I'm fairly sure that when Jani Lane died a couple of years back, I probably commented somewhere, "Scott Weiland will be next." Does that make me an a**hole? Probably (shrugs) ...

Anywhoo... like many here have already said, I never really had much use for STP or VR aside from a few tracks here 'n' there, but he was obviously a talented but tormented fella whose demons got the better of him. Shame.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Certainly not surprising considering his dubious past, but it was still shocking when I saw the headline this morning. Even though we saw it coming, it still stings.

Shame he couldn't get it together, but at least he left us with some great music.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 9:26 pm

It's quite a shame. I only liked Core, but still sad that he couldn't conquer his demons.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 6:45 am

I was a huge fan of STP in the early 90's, still remain a fan but do not listen to them as I often did back then,

Such a shame, the guy had a killer voice and never forget seeing him live with STP a whirlwind of weird dancing, charismatic as hell and since I know something about addiction I am really sorry he lost his battle.

When it all the speculation is done and media is done picking over his bones, what will be left is the music and music that helped define a generation and genre and has a timeless quality to it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 1:58 pm

The song "Plush" has held up quite well over the years despite being overplayed on the radio. The first album in general is great IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 5:31 pm

I wasn't there, but I remember hearing about VR playing in Little Rock on Halloween in 2004, and the entire band came out dressed as Guns N Roses. There were pictures, but I can no longer find them on the net.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Never cared much for STP, but I liked VR well enough. Sad that this happened, though I was not one bit surprised after reading about Scott's addiction in Slash and Duff's autobiographies.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Sad news. Even though I agree with everyone else it wasn't surprising. I wish he could have got his act together at least for the sake of his kids.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 8:56 am

Anybody who knows me knows how much of a fanboy I am of his music. I have to say I was surprised maybe blindly so in giving the benefit of the doubt and I have to say I am bummed as I was a fan of about 99% of the music he made. That being said I read something this morning that just makes it even more sad... A letter from his ex-wife which sheds somethings about him and most of it not good.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/read-stone-temple-pilots-poignant-open-letter-to-scott-weiland-20151204
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 9:25 am

I read that and found myself wondering how many other ex's and widows would have liked to write that same letter over the years...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 12:19 pm

He had a gift for harmonies, he had a bowie-esque sound with the swagger of Jim Morrison IMO

Tortured indeed, and of all this I feel for his children.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Reading that letter from his ex just made his passing even sadder.

I was fortunate enough to see him both with STP and Velvet Revolver. He was quite the front man in a live setting.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 8:08 am

I saw him live before the Wildabouts' album released, before the death of their guitarist. It was mostly covers from VR and STP with a few of the new stuff oh and a David Bowie cover Smile it was a good show and months ago I read he was coming back in September but the announcement on his fb disappeared and it was never listed at the venue. Bummer

Reading that letter I agree made it even sadder Sad
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 8:24 pm

I saw him live with Stone Temple Pilots once, I can't remember when.

He was wearing an all black suit and tie, he looked a little bit older then perhaps he should have and once he hit the stage, he was whirlwind of action, weird body gyrations etc

A woman next to me was all smiles, she turned to me and said 'My God he made it, he showed up!!!', and then face light up more and exclaimed, 'And he is f**king fantastic!!!', and all I could do is agree with her.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 8:43 am

He was pretty diverse in his music. Going from the Crooner style in his Christmas album to hard rock bands such as Art of Anarchy and Velvet Revolver and then jazzy fusion stuff like his first solo album, sad we will never know the type of music he would have made down the road
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 10:02 am

Best song he ever did!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 1:15 pm

No surprises here, but at least it's official now.

Quote :
Toxicology tests have revealed Scott Weiland died of a toxic combination of drugs and alcohol.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner in Minneapolis, near where the former STONE TEMPLE PILOTS and VELVET REVOLVER singer died, says Scott overdosed on cocaine, methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA; also known as "sally" or "the love drug," and chemically related to the drug ecstasy) and ethanol. The report also indicates heart disease and asthma were "significant" conditions. The test results also revealed Scott's "multi-substance dependence" was a factor.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40554

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 3:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
No surprises here, but at least it's official now.
Quote :
Toxicology tests have revealed Scott Weiland died of a toxic combination of drugs and alcohol.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner in Minneapolis, near where the former STONE TEMPLE PILOTS and VELVET REVOLVER singer died, says Scott overdosed on cocaine, methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA; also known as "sally" or "the love drug," and chemically related to the drug ecstasy) and ethanol. The report also indicates heart disease and asthma were "significant" conditions. The test results also revealed Scott's "multi-substance dependence" was a factor.

I thought the same thing when I had read that.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 am

I read that too, very sad I had hoped he had kicked the habit but apparently his band amosphere was more toxic than I thought. Being as he was my favorite singer I always wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when people would slam him for his addictions.

Very sad
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 2:56 pm

This happened a few blocks from my house here in Bloomington. I was never a fan, but it is still pretty sucky. Sounds like whomever else was on the bus at the time might be in for some trouble, too.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 8:41 am

In 2016 he was planning to go back in the studio to record another album, tour and write a followup to his autobiography

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 11:22 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
This happened a few blocks from my house here in Bloomington.  I was never a fan, but it is still pretty sucky.  Sounds like whomever else was on the bus at the time might be in for some trouble, too.

I read that the bass player (?) was initially arrested for coke possession, but the charges were dropped for some reason.

EDIT:
Quote :
Deputy Bloomington Police Chief Mike Hartley told People that they never filed charges after "weighing what it would take to probe the narcotics charges against" Black.

"[The narcotics] were found in a bunk and obviously with several people residing on a bus a number of people could have potentially possessed those narcotics, so at the end of the day we decided not to pursue charges against him," Hartley told People.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 10:55 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I saw Stone Temple Pilots on their first tour with Megadeth in January of '93. I've always enjoyed their music. Very sad...

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48   Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scott Weiland - Dead at age 48
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2