Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album

Go down 
+12
Dark Horseman
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
scottmitchell74
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
stormspell
corplhicks
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
metalken
7thSecond
16 posters
AuthorMessage
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. Of course I've liked all of their stuff. For those of you who don't know they play a kind of extreme power metal. Fans of older Iced Earth and/or Metal Church would probably like them.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 pm

I will also second that it is a very enjoyable release. I too appreciate the stuff they have brought out before this release.
There does seem to be a stronger sense of songwriting as a lot of the riffs and vocal lines carry on long after you hear it, and they have varied the pace of the songs a lot. The 'concept' is pretty cool, but I get more of a "Hammer Horror" feel than the "Lovecraft" vibe.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm kind of shocked at how few "metal heads" here have heard of this band. They've been around a looong time and put out quite a few good albums. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 11:24 pm

7thSecond wrote:
I'm kind of shocked at how few "metal heads" here have heard of this band. They've been around a looong time and put out quite a few good albums. Embarassed

I have every one of their albums except for the new one so I can't comment on it.  I am not much on concept albums so I am in no hurry to pick it up.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 11:53 pm

7thSecond wrote:

I think there are several here who've heard of them.I can't comment on the newest album but I like earlier stuff.I really liked Hell Destroyer.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am

I used to like them a lot but just grew tired of the production. New album is strong but same story for me.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I used to like them a lot but just grew tired of the production. New album is strong but same story for me.

I assume Stu mixed/mastered it? This guy is such a gifted songwriter/guitar player, but his fascination with loudness mastering goes definitely too far... Although having said that, the new Death Dealer mastering is not so extreme (at least compared to the 1st album), so I have some hopes for Cage too...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

I think there are several here who've heard of them.I can't comment on the newest album but I like earlier stuff.I really liked Hell Destroyer.

Hell Destroyer was the one album I had but it didn't do much for me. I think I traded it away to someone here when I purged allot of my power metal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Its a damn good album! Its still growing on me though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Can't wait to get this. I have their last 4-5 ones, and they're all great. Hell Destroyer is a "desert island" album for me. Start to finish awesomeness.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 8:37 pm

I finally got to listen to it today, and must say it's a very good album. The production is a bit much at times, and it's hard to hear the singing, but the overall album is great IMO. One of their best cd's so far, out of the few I own. Hell Destroyer is still my favorite I have, but this one is pretty close.

Really sucks, I pre-ordered this thing probably 18 months ago. Finally get it in the mail, and then we pack up and moved a few weeks after I got it. I packed it and forgot all about it till today when I found it in the wrong box. Can't find the book that came with it, but at least I finally got a chance to listen to the damn cd. Going to be playing it quite a bit I think. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 am

Just ordered this one along with darker than black this morning. My first cage albums! Total blind purchase. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am

Darker than Black is good, production is a little flat but still listenable. I find Ancient Evil too repetitive, when I listen to Cage it's Hell Destroyer or Supremacy of Steel.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 am

Gilbert wrote:
Just ordered this one along with darker than black this morning. My first cage albums! Total blind purchase. Can't wait.

Ordered "Darker than Black" just now myself, think I'll scope this out before any further purchases...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

candlemass wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Ordered "Darker than Black" just now myself, think I'll scope this out before any further purchases...

Chupacabra is a cool, nasty, catchy track on Darker than Black.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Glad I ordered it, damn fine slab of metal! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Lari wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Chupacabra is a cool, nasty, catchy track on Darker than Black.

Hopefully my Cage Cds will arrive by mail by the end of this week headbanger
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 am

I picked up a used copy of the Hell Destroyer album. I think it's good, but the production is lacking... like a demo.

The singer is pretty good, maybe a notch below Ripper Owens.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

This band treats guitarists/riff writers like interchangeable cogs and has paid a steep price for that.  Their songwriting has greatly suffered post-"Darker than Black".  It's rare for a band to exchange riff writers and get something comparable in quality.

Their debut even has some of their greatest songs on it, which unfortunately few are aware of.

Also, this band commits fan abuse by not editing its own material. Each song is way too long as are the albums overall. This is unfortunately common in today's metal scene.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
This band treats guitarists/riff writers like interchangeable cogs and has paid a steep price for that.  Their songwriting has greatly suffered post-"Darker than Black".  It's rare for a band to exchange riff writers and get something comparable in quality.

Their debut even has some of their greatest songs on it, which unfortunately few are aware of.

Also, this band commits fan abuse by not editing its own material.  Each song is way too long as are the albums overall.  This is unfortunately common in today's metal scene.
The songs average about five minutes long, how is that too long? I'm guessing Opeth really drives you crazy then lol
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 5:43 pm

A good quick tempo song should clock in no more than 3 minutes. An "epic" type song should average around 7-10 minutes. Anything longer than that gets boring fast. I love ...AJFA, but sometimes it can be a chore to listen to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album   Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on the new Cage (Ancient Evil) album
Page 1 of 1