Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's Been A While

Go down 
+20
MoonChild
Lari
Boris2008
Leatherface
Thrasher73
James B.
80s Metal Lady
nevermore
corplhicks
Wurthless
bgsully
DakotaRogers
Witchfinder
the sentinel
Required Fields
tohostudios
Thelemech
leafinator
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Best?
Hair Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 4 ]
Speed Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Power Metal
 3% [ 1 ]
Thrash Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 12 ]
Progressive Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Death Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Industrial Metal
 3% [ 1 ]
Melodic Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Traditional Metal
It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%It's Been A While - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

It's Been A While - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 pm

No help for me? Sad I really want to know what my favorite category is as I'm not sure how to categorize bands.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Traditional hair power!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Traditional Metal.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:35 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
No help for me? Sad  I really want to know what my favorite category is as I'm not sure how to categorize bands.

Going by the majority of bands you listed I would say Traditional.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 pm

I chose hair metal although hair metal is a silly name...its GLAM metal!!
I also like power metal, symphonic metal, Gothic metal, traditional metal and nwobhm original......
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Speed. Of course I also love power and thrash.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Hair metal is basically glam/LA/pop metal or what?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Hair metal is stupid derogatory term coined by hipster journalists to degrade metal music and metal fans. It should never be used by anyone that considers themselves a fan of 80s "pop metal" (the only remotely accurate term).

P.S. - The term "Traditional Metal" is also wholly irrelevant. A term already exists for that...it's called HEAVY METAL.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:
No help for me? Sad  I really want to know what my favorite category is as I'm not sure how to categorize bands.

Going by the majority of bands you listed I would say Traditional.

Thanks! That will be my vote.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 3:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
Hair metal is stupid derogatory term coined by hipster journalists to degrade metal music and metal fans.  It should never be used by anyone that considers themselves a fan of 80s "pop metal" (the only remotely accurate term).  

P.S. - The term "Traditional Metal" is also wholly irrelevant.  A term already exists for that...it's called HEAVY METAL.  

Agree - HATE the 'hair Metal" term coined by the douchebag hipster journalist.

I like the term Heavy Metal or just METAL!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
Hair metal is stupid derogatory term coined by hipster journalists to degrade metal music and metal fans.  It should never be used by anyone that considers themselves a fan of 80s "pop metal" (the only remotely accurate term).  

I would call bands like Warrant and Poison "Pop Metal" back in the day. Almost every metal band of all sub genres have long hair. What makes the "Hair Metal" band's hair more special? Maybe if it's glammed up or permed? Razz But, when looking up lists of "Hair Metal" bands, I see Dio, W.A.S.P., and Ozzy on the lists which I would not even consider in that category. I even saw Accept, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest on someone's list of "Top 10 Glam/Hair Metal Albums."
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 8:48 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I would call bands like Warrant and Poison "Pop Metal" back in the day. Almost every metal band of all sub genres have long hair. What makes the "Hair Metal" band's hair more special? Maybe if it's glammed up or permed? Razz  But, when looking up lists of "Hair Metal" bands, I see Dio, W.A.S.P., and Ozzy on the lists which I would not even consider in that category. I even saw Accept, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest on someone's list of "Top 10 Glam Hair Metal Albums."

Which is why I voted Industrial.

My favorite genre of music is comprised of bands like Diamond Dogs, Hanoi Rocks, Michael Monroe, The Quireboys, Dogs d'Amour, Babylon 5, Backyard Babies....none of which fits into any of the listed categories.  I also am a big fan of AC/DC "clone bands" like Airbourne, Sin/City, Sideburn, Bullet, Rhino Bucket, etc...they don't really fit any of the genres in the list either.

So I gave up and voted Industrial because at least I don't think anyone will argue that KMFDM, Ministry, Gravity Kills, Stabbing Westward, etc. AREN'T industrial.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 8:50 pm

On second thought, I'm sure some genre Nazi out there will argue with me anyway.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Personally, I have always used the term "Hair Metal" as a descriptor, but certainly not in a derogatory way, as it's one of my favorite genres and I love it. To me. it's more of a description of a time and sound rather than just a look (strange, I know, but the Sentinel is a strange guy) b/c like Metal Lady said they all had long hair. I use it to refer to bands from 86-92 who were more "poppy" or had keyboards. Think Bon Jovi, Europe, Warrant, Poison instead of Armored Saint, Malice, Warrior, or Tesla.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Sorry for derailing this into yet another genre discussion. My bad.

Attempting to steer this back on track...

I chose Traditional from the list because it was closest to matching my preferences. My overall favorite era of heavy metal is basically 1970 to 1984, which fits the "traditional" tag nicely. My second choice from this list would be thrash which is what grabbed the majority of my attention by 1985/86.

Despite my love of progressive rock I'm not really a fan of most progressive metal.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 7:08 am

I knew it was gonna end up going this direction. Still, some good convo.

I don't mind labels...if they make sense to ME. With 150,000 songs, I gotta label the stuff in my iTunes with something I can relate to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Been A While   It's Been A While - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's Been A While
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: