Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Def Lep

Go down 
+22
Vexer6
nevermore
James B.
Citanul
Gilbert
manny
Required Fields
bgsully
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
Boris2008
glassprison
chewie
thejokeriv
the sentinel
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Def Lep - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
First two but third is okay!

I'm in this category

I don't get you people. Haha. I can totally get on board with folks who dug the early stuff not being a fan of Hysteria and onward, but Pyromania? That album is badass! Start to finish, that is one kick-ass album. No ballads, no filler.

Obviously I know it's all subjective and whatnot, but to me Pyromania is by and large the best of the first three.

Hmmm, looks like I don't own Pyromania. I could've sworn I did. I know I had it at one point because I recognize all the songs. Must've been on cassette. I should probably upgrade that one to cd some day. Laughing

Quote :
No ballads

Ballad-y, sorta. No? don\'t know Good song regardless.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Haha. I can totally get on board with folks who dug the early stuff not being a fan of Hysteria and onward, but Pyromania? That album is badass! Start to finish, that is one kick-ass album. No ballads, no filler.

Agreed. I love that album.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 2:26 pm

If you take out Love Bites and Pour Some Sugar, Hysteria is a good album with too much sheen. Needs to be stripped back a little.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

I don't get you people. Haha. I can totally get on board with folks who dug the early stuff not being a fan of Hysteria and onward, but Pyromania? That album is badass! Start to finish, that is one kick-ass album. No ballads, no filler.

Obviously I know it's all subjective and whatnot, but to me Pyromania is by and large the best of the first three.

I think at least part of the reason I'm lukewarm on Pyromania is because in retrospect you can tell it was leading toward the watered-down, production heavy, poppy sound of Hysteria and onward. It's got more emphasis on harmonies and less on "crunch"; just a little more "glossy" to my ears. Couple that with the fact that I have a lot of fond memories associated with High N Dry and Pyro just seems like a backward step to me.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
If you take out Love Bites and Pour Some Sugar, Hysteria is a good album with too much sheen. Needs to be stripped back a little.

I'd agree with this......except I like love bites. Embarassed lol!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Was anyone really expecting something any harder than what was on Hysteria or Adrenalize?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Pyromania is one of my all time favorite albums ever, by anyone!

"F'n Def Leppard, Man!"

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Pyromania is one of my all time favorite albums ever, by anyone!

"F'n Def Leppard, Man!"

lol!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 pm

I like Def Leppard, and still love 'Pyromania'. Unlike some folks on here, I discovered Def Leppard with that album, then eventually bought the first two.

At first I was disappointed in 'Hysteria' when it was first released but I grew to love the album, and yes I agree its very poppy album, but its funny how Def Leppard cannot be forgiven for such a transgression when other bands made similar transitions to more pop metal band, granted few were successful, and none were as successful as Def Leppard.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 am

I do love Hysteria, great album The last great Def Leppard album (IMHO).

This new song - I listened to it again and it is POP song. They cut the balls off the guitar tone and makes Nickleback sound like a trash band in comparison.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 1:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

Hmmm, looks like I don't own Pyromania. I could've sworn I did. I know I had it at one point because I recognize all the songs. Must've been on cassette. I should probably upgrade that one to cd some day. Laughing

Quote :
No ballads

Ballad-y, sorta. No?  don\'t know  Good song regardless.

Kind of a stretch, but sort of. =)
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 2:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

I think at least part of the reason I'm lukewarm on Pyromania is because in retrospect you can tell it was leading toward the watered-down, production heavy, poppy sound of Hysteria and onward.  It's got more emphasis on harmonies and less on "crunch"; just a little more "glossy" to my ears.  Couple that with the fact that I have a lot of fond memories associated with High N Dry and Pyro just seems like a backward step to me.  

I've always argued that you can hear that all the way back to the first album. The production on On Through the Night and High 'N' Dry, whether because those were the limits of technology back then or they didn't have budget for it, sort of masked that and gave it a more raw sound. But you can't listen to songs like "Rock Brigade" and "Hello America"and not hear the future. Sure, they rocked harder musically, but they wanted that huge sound from the very beginning.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 pm

What the heck happened to this band?
I cannot believe they were once part of the NWOBHM mouvement.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

I think at least part of the reason I'm lukewarm on Pyromania is because in retrospect you can tell it was leading toward the watered-down, production heavy, poppy sound of Hysteria and onward.  It's got more emphasis on harmonies and less on "crunch"; just a little more "glossy" to my ears.  Couple that with the fact that I have a lot of fond memories associated with High N Dry and Pyro just seems like a backward step to me.  

I've always argued that you can hear that all the way back to the first album. The production on On Through the Night and High 'N' Dry, whether because those were the limits of technology back then or they didn't have budget for it, sort of masked that and gave it a more raw sound. But you can't listen to songs like "Rock Brigade" and "Hello America"and not hear the future. Sure, they rocked harder musically, but they wanted that huge sound from the very beginning.

Wow. When I listen to Rock Brigade or Hello America, I sure don't hear "Love Bites" coming down the pike. But OK, if you're not buying the production thing then just mark it down to the hot 'n' heavy thing I had going on at the time High n Dry was released. Then that died and Pyromania came out. It all went downhill from there...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 7:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

Wow.  When I listen to Rock Brigade or Hello America, I sure don't hear "Love Bites" coming down the pike.  But OK, if you're not buying the production thing then just mark it down to the hot 'n' heavy thing I had going on at the time High n Dry was released.  Then that died and Pyromania came out.  It all went downhill from there...

I'm talking about the big production, the harmonies, etc.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 7:36 pm

I know. I still would never have predicted Hysteria based on On Through The Night and High N Dry; I just don't hear it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I know.  I still would never have predicted Hysteria based on On Through The Night and High N Dry; I just don't hear it.

Ah, I get you. I should have clarified better. I'm talking about in retrospect. No, I don't think anyone could have predicted Hysteria based on On Through the Night. But looking back now, I think, you can hear a band who wanted that sound.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I know.  I still would never have predicted Hysteria based on On Through The Night and High N Dry; I just don't hear it.

Ah, I get you. I should have clarified better. I'm talking about in retrospect. No, I don't think anyone could have predicted Hysteria based on On Through the Night. But looking back now, I think, you can hear a band who wanted that sound.

If you go straight from On Through the Night to Hysteria it's difficult to hear.But if you listen to them in order it's a steady progression (In the wrong direction)
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

If you go straight from On Through the Night to Hysteria it's difficult to hear.But if you listen to them in order it's a steady progression (In the wrong direction)

Good point, Boris.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 4:23 am

Gilbert wrote:

The NWOBHM did cover quite a wide range, and any band that was even a little bit hard rocking stood a good chance of being regarded as part of the scene. But I don't think it's inaccurate to say that Def Leppard were less a metal band than they were a band who went through a metal phase. At that time that was the sound that was popular and so they tailored their songs to fit in with it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 7:06 am

Citanul wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

The NWOBHM did cover quite a wide range, and any band that was even a little bit hard rocking stood a good chance of being regarded as part of the scene.  But I don't think it's inaccurate to say that Def Leppard were less a metal band than they were a band who went through a metal phase.  At that time that was the sound that was popular and so they tailored their songs to fit in with it.

thing is that they never had the heaviness of bands like maiden and priest.
I do not recall hearing one true heavy metal song by them. To me they were always closer to the glam metal scene.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 7:08 am

With the exception of into the night, I'd say, which had some "heavy" material...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 am

I am sure the interview with Joe saying they were never a metal band was later than 1982. He never declined an interview spot on any MTV "metal shows/segments" or told any "metal magazine" to stop plastering the cover with their images. It was okay when they were riding that wave, but when it crested and crashed into the shore....that was when his whole revisionism spiel began. I recall hearing Joe reference "metal" from the stage when I saw them open for Blackfoot in 1982, memory is a fallible thing at times ? Joe has always been wishy-washy to remain relevant in his own eyes and not see himself as he really is. An aging rock star in a nostalgia act chasing the past like that old carrot on a stick.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 12:49 pm

I saw them when they toured again after Rick Allen lost his arm and he kept announcing they were there to take the metal crown back.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that this song is the worst thing in the world. Ethnic cleansing and ball cancer are probably worse.

But that's about as nice as I can be on the subject.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Def Lep
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: