Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Def Lep

Go down 
+22
Vexer6
nevermore
James B.
Citanul
Gilbert
manny
Required Fields
bgsully
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
Boris2008
glassprison
chewie
thejokeriv
the sentinel
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:36 am

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/def-leppard-lets-go/

New Def Lep No%2Bsir%2BI%2Bdon't%2Blike%2Bit
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 am

So, they re-worked Pour Some Sugar On Me ? Well , I guess it's not that bad. I'm not sure I'd go out and get this. But then again, I haven't really been interested in this band since Hysteria.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:44 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/def-leppard-lets-go/

New Def Lep No%2Bsir%2BI%2Bdon't%2Blike%2Bit

I've listened to this 5+ times since yesterday and I just can't get into it. Here were my comments about the song on another site.

What the hell is it with the word "Go" and Def Leppard these days? On Sparkle, the bookend tracks were "Go" and "Gotta Let It Go" and now "Let's Go" is the opening track.

My initial reactions are, the artwork looks like it could have been created by your average high school student. Normally I hate it when a band has 10 + songs on an album, as it usually means there's more than a little filler on the album, but it has been seven years since their last album.

Regarding "Let's Go", the beginning is sort of cringe worthy. The opening riff at the :30 second mark is akin to that of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", which for myself is not good. The chorus is way to poppy, but should make the make the finger snappers happy (ex: Pour Some Sugar On Me video). The bridge is the best part of this song. The solo is fine, but there's too much familiarity in the main riff.

Unfortunately Steve Clark is still dead and Pete Willis is still fired...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 3:16 pm

hahaha I saw that yesterday. that was you? haha

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
hahaha I saw that yesterday. that was you? haha

Yeah, I go by that of John Snow (Game of Thrones)...ha ha. Yeah, I normally don't get on Blabbermouth, but every once in a while I throw my two cents in. I made up an account for Facebook, so I could listen to stuff on Spotify. I haven't been on Facebook since April of 2014 and I don't miss it one bit. I liked at first when I got on years before, but the novelty wore off within a couple of years and the drama that existed with some people on there became too much.

Regarding the Def Leppard song, I don't expect much from them, so it really doesn't tick me off. If I end up liking four songs out of fourteen (like on this record), then that's about par for the course with me. I find most of their stuff over the years to be cringe worthy.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 5:42 pm

I find pretty much everything after Pyromania to be "cringe-worthy". Yet I can pop in "High n Dry" and it still sounds great to me. I'll just keep doing that.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 pm

These guys haven't been a first week purchase for me in a very long time and, unfortunately, this new album (and new song) will not change that. Thanks for the link though, Unc.
Back to top Go down

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yet I can pop in "High n Dry" and it still sounds great to me.   I'll just keep doing that.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Yawn.......

That song did nothing for me
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I find pretty much everything after Pyromania to be "cringe-worthy".  Yet I can pop in "High n Dry" and it still sounds great to me.   I'll just keep doing that.

I just quoted you in the comments for that article!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:08 pm

I like a lot of pop music so I don't mind this at all. Sounds like a good mixture of Hysteria era DL with their more recent pop sound. Not unsurprisingly it sounds a lot like something you would hear on a Reckless Love album. If the rest of the record sounds like this I'm sure I'll dig it.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:25 pm

glassprison wrote:
I like a lot of pop music so I don't mind this at all. Sounds like a good mixture of Hysteria era DL with their more recent pop sound. Not unsurprisingly it sounds a lot like something you would hear on a Reckless Love album. If the rest of the record sounds like this I'm sure I'll dig it.

That's the problem. I have never liked Hysteria. That was my Mom's Def Leppard! I had the first three and she had this one.

A1 Women 5:42
A2 Rocket 6:37
A3 Animal 4:04
A4 Love Bites 5:46
A5 Pour Some Sugar on Me 4:27
A6 Armageddon It 5:24
B1 Gods of War 6:37
B2 Don't Shoot Shotgun 4:26
B3 Run Riot 4:39
B4 Hysteria 5:54
B5 Excitable 4:19
B6 Love and Affection 4:37

Out of that list of songs only Women and, to a smaller extent, Animal ever appealed to me. The song I liked the most, Tear It Down, wasn't even on this album!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:35 pm

chewie wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I find pretty much everything after Pyromania to be "cringe-worthy".  Yet I can pop in "High n Dry" and it still sounds great to me.   I'll just keep doing that.

I just quoted you in the comments for that article!

headbanger

Seriously.

I think I've told this story before but I was in college when "On Through The Night" was released.  Then somehow Def Leppard was put on a bill with of all bands, Jefferson Starship.  That bill came to James Madison University back around 1978 or 9 so of course since I was going to school in the same town I had to go.

While we were waiting to be let in to this General Admission show, some drunken metalhead at the front of the line kept grabbing the chains on the entrance doors and yelling "F'n Def Leppard man!!!!!!" and shaking the chains.  Cops were called and the dude was hauled away still yelling "F'n Def Leppard!!!!!"

Hard to believe the band that spawned pop crap like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at one time actually ginned up that kind of headbanger fervor.  Given what DL has become I often wonder how that guy (who has to be in his 50s by now just like me) feels about "F'n Def Leppard" now.

I'm betting he does the Picard face-palm and mutters something like "I spent the night in jail for them?????"

Last edited by tohostudios on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 pm

I don't think that this song is the worst thing in the world. Ethnic cleansing and ball cancer are probably worse.

But that's about as nice as I can be on the subject.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that this song is the worst thing in the world. Ethnic cleansing and ball cancer are probably worse.

lol! Laughing very hard lol!

Now that's quotable!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 10:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Now that's quotable!

Ethnic cleansing > Ball Cancer > Pour Some Sugar On Me being a really bad song > Herpes outbreak
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 11:49 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Now that's quotable!

Ethnic cleansing > Ball Cancer > Pour Some Sugar On Me being a really bad song > Herpes outbreak

lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 am

You all know I'm a fanboy. Hysteria is, in my opinion, the greatest album of all time. Always will be. Haha. I have mostly enjoyed every album they've put out, except X, which I thought was a giant shit sandwich. Two good songs, the first and last, and shit in the middle.

But this new one...eh. Yeah, they're clearly trying to capitalize on their past hits by blatantly stealing from them. Obviously this one mostly lifts from "Pour Some Sugar On Me." It's not an outright copy, but the vibe is all the same.

It's not a bad song, but it's not something I'll ever crave. And I kind of hate the chorus. It's a boy-band chorus, with that whoa-o-o-oh bullshit. I don't want to hear that crap at all, but I definitely don't want to hear it from old-ass men who belong NOWHERE near the kind of people who listen to that nonsense (i.e. hipster kids). It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe it's aimed at radio. Like Bon Jovi, these guys clearly will never give up trying to evolve to stay within the realm of mainstream acceptance, so in a way I understand that kind of modern chorus. But...it's gonna fail to do what they want, so why bother?

Oh well. First-day buy for me regardless.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 9:03 am

I feel like Joe Elliott is bummed about having to resort to regressing to a past sound to try and sell a record. Def Lep seemed like they were champing at the bit to be able to get out of and shed any association to metal, glam or hair metal at all...like they were maybe kinda stoked when the music landscape starting changing in the early 90s (not that it did them any favors as far as record sales go, but they could play their modernized music till their hearts' content).

But here we are and here they are.

Oh well. I stand by DL up to and including Adrenalize (plus that rarities disc, forget the title, if you count that). Hysteria is their weakest effort among their good albums, in my opinion. I also assume a lot of that is just due to extreme overplay. Like, I dig the sound of it. But I've just heard the songs--the singles, which is most of the album--so many times over the past 27 or so years. I still dig "Gods of War" though.

Def Lep is the closest to Metallica in that people who like the band have such varying levels of how far they go:
-First 2 albums only!
-First 3 albums only!
-First two but third is okay!
-First three but fourth is okay!
-Actually dig into the early 90s, but nothing after!
-Like 'em all, even the mid to late 90s ones everyone hates!
-And so on.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 am

I thought the new tune was pretty decent actually. Probably because I like 'Pour Some Sugar on Me'. I have fond stripper memories of that song. Anyway, that being said, I haven't been interested in any new Def Leppard in quite a long time and I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

Good for them for keeping that train going for all these years, but I've moved on.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 10:41 am

Quote :
First two but third is okay!

I'm in this category

Metal is Forever
chewie

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:23 am

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

I'm mostly in this category, but I really do like Pyromania(that is the last full album that I like) and some tunes off of the Retro Active and Slang albums.

So more like this category:

The first three but a song here and there!

Last edited by chewie on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:25 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I feel like Joe Elliott is bummed about having to resort to regressing to a past sound to try and sell a record. Def Lep seemed like they were champing at the bit to be able to get out of and shed any association to metal, glam or hair metal at all...like they were maybe kinda stoked when the music landscape starting changing in the early 90s (not that it did them any favors as far as record sales go, but they could play their modernized music till their hearts' content).

No, that's not true. There is an interview from like 1982 where they say they're not a metal band. They just never felt like they were a metal band, that they were a rock band. They've never shied away from their association to rock music.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:28 am

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

I'm in this category

I don't get you people. Haha. I can totally get on board with folks who dug the early stuff not being a fan of Hysteria and onward, but Pyromania? That album is badass! Start to finish, that is one kick-ass album. No ballads, no filler.

Obviously I know it's all subjective and whatnot, but to me Pyromania is by and large the best of the first three.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 11:31 am

Eyesore wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

No, that's not true. There is an interview from like 1982 where they say they're not a metal band. They just never felt like they were a metal band, that they were a rock band. They've never shied away from their association to rock music.

I don't disagree with that. But you can be a rock band without being a metal, glam or hair metal band, which is what I had said they seemed anxious to get away from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Def Lep Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Def Lep   New Def Lep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Def Lep
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: