Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.

Go down 
+13
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
kmorg
Thrasher73
T-Roy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Rex
krokus
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:45 am

Fat Freddy(you fatty),

That right there is a shame, I will agree. But I don't know who's fault
that is. Is that the label's fault (Intense, Retroactive, etc..) or,
was that the regular music stores choice of not wanting to sell such a
small market venue at the time, or just choosing not to stock it?

Not to mention, we're now debating an issue that's going back 20+ years ago. So, much has changed now in retail music. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
If you're talking about replacing bands ...

don't new bands like Trivium get marketed as "the next Metallica" and stuff like that? Same deal.

I remember being interested in Annihilator because the ad said they were "Canada's answer to Metallica".

I think it's pretty natural to sell new bands by comparing them to bands people are already familiar with. It's certainly not exclusive to the Christian scene.

Well, yea, but Trivium's marketing doesn't tell you to throw away your Metallica CDs and listen to Trivium instead, which like I said, sometimes the Christian metal marketers seemed to be implying (at least back in the day) with their "comparisons."

Quote :
Fat Freddy(you fatty),

Just for the record, I'm not really THAT fat. Nor is my name Fred. Smile
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 am

I've been buying Christian music my whole life, and I have never gotten
that impression. I think that’s a matter of personal interpretation.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:55 am

well just for the record...I am fat....but my name aint Fred.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
If you're talking about replacing bands ...

don't new bands like Trivium get marketed as "the next Metallica" and stuff like that? Same deal.

I remember being interested in Annihilator because the ad said they were "Canada's answer to Metallica".

I think it's pretty natural to sell new bands by comparing them to bands people are already familiar with. It's certainly not exclusive to the Christian scene.

Well, yea, but Trivium's marketing doesn't tell you to throw away your Metallica CDs and listen to Trivium instead, which like I said, sometimes the Christian metal marketers seemed to be implying (at least back in the day) with their "comparisons."

I've never seen that stated in an ad anywhere for any band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:58 am

I remember those Christian Metal comparison charts. Ultimatum use to get compared to Metallica, but then it seemed any band with a slight thrash sound was compared to Metallica. I guess the people at Diamante Music Group weren't that familiar with bands like Overkill and Exodus.

I think inside the new Ultimatum remasters there is an add from Retroactive where they do the same thing. Under each album cover they say something like "for fans of ______"

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
I remember those Christian Metal comparison charts. Ultimatum use to get compared to Metallica, but then it seemed any band with a slight thrash sound was compared to Metallica. I guess the people at Diamante Music Group weren't that familiar with bands like Overkill and Exodus.

I think inside the new Ultimatum remasters there is an add from Retroactive where they do the same thing. Under each album cover they say something like "for fans of ______"

I think the RadRockers chart compared you guys to Overkill, Accept, and AC/DC (?)... when I ordered the PUPPET OF DESTRUCTION disc from them I said to myself, "Okaaaaay, I can understand the Overkill comparison, maybe the Accept to some extent... but AC/DC?"

Last edited by on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

That's why I said "implied," but as T-Roy said, maybe it was just me who got that kinda vibe back then.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

That's why I said "implied," but as T-Roy said, maybe it was just me who got that kinda vibe back then.

Been thinging about this some more ...

I don't think I have ever seen that "throw your old albums away" implication on an ad per se, but I have seen a chart on a website that implies that Christian band A is a substitute for Secular band B and I think that is pretty much what you were saying Fat Freddy.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:21 pm

Ultimatum = AC/DC.....that's just stupid right there! lol!

even Metallica.......not even close!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:21 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Been thinging about this some more ...

I don't think I have ever seen that "throw your old albums away" implication on an ad per se, but I have seen a chart on a website that implies that Christian band A is a substitute for Secular band B and I think that is pretty much what you were saying Fat Freddy.

Bingo! That's what I'm talkin'bout!

Last edited by on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Ultimatum = AC/DC.....that's just stupid right there!

Maybe the RadRockers guy thinks Scott is BON Scott? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 pm

angry STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Maybe the RadRockers guy thinks Scott is BON Scott? Laughing very hard

A few reviewers for Symphonic compared some of the vocals to Bon Scott. Perhaps that the AC/DC connection.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 2:06 pm

T-Roy wrote:

I think this is another case of people judging metal albums 100% by the vocals/vocal style and totally ignoring everything else about the music which is another pet peeve of mine that I might start a thread on one day.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 11:58 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

I think this is another case of people judging metal albums 100% by the vocals/vocal style and totally ignoring everything else about the music which is another pet peeve of mine that I might start a thread on one day.

That happens a lot with us. We get compared to Exodus A LOT. We really don't sound all that much like Exodus musically.

Same thing with X-Sinner. The AC/DC comparisons are based a lot on the vocals. Musically their first two albums were similar to Def Leppard, Cinderella's first album, Krokus, etc.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:10 pm

The Crucified sound like a cross between DRI and Sacred Reich.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 3:10 pm

One guy I know said that when he was 11, he had a guitar teacher who was a very devout Christian. He wanted to learn Slayer songs on guitar, and his teacher tried pushing Living Sacrifice (often considered the Christian version of Slayer) on him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 pm

....and your point?Smile
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 6:38 pm

none of em. HAHAHA
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:

For a lot of people who aren't major metal fans, almost any metal band would be compared to Metallica.

I've heard two or three people say they've heard "It sounds like Metallica...just not as good" comments for multiple metal bands. Even though those bands didn't sound remotely like any era of Metallica. One or two, vaguely.

However, a lot of people barely familiar with metal (if at all) seem to believe every metal band ever "sounds like Metallica".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 2:47 pm

Ultimatum to me are American Power Metal much in the vein of Metal Church and Sanctuary. Scott does sound like Steve Souza, a vocalist I really like. That nasty snarl of his, is something else. Total bad fit with Testament, though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm

I think ultimatum is pretty much an Exodus clone.. I do hear a little bit of anthrax and sacred reich in their sound too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.   Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christian metal bands that sound like normal metal bands.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3