Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92

Go down 
+10
manny
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
Thelemech
Dark Horseman
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I did not think about it at the time, but I do remember that Guns n Roses was considered a gamechanger in the metal scene back then. Both fans and critics were getting sick of pop metal bands that seemed so formulaic and here came these guys sounding somewhat raw and a bit dangerous.

One of the few bands that both fans of Metallica and Poison could share, except for weirdos like me who liked them both.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Bump for some new info regarding the 'Live at the Ritz 88" concert.

As best as I can figure, the concert was released this past June in Europe only on vinyl and cd from a company called Radio Silence which specializes in "rare unauthorized concert recordings" ie BOOTLEGS. It's a limited release of 500, but I don't know if that meant vinyl, cd or both. It's not an official release and certainly not authorized by the band or label (duh!). You can find import copies on ebay and Amazon for around $20+.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-Album-Guns-N-Roses-Live-At-The-Ritz-NYC-1988-Slash-Westwood-One-Sealed-/361398614019?hash=item5425093803

I don't know the source of these recordings, so the sound could be total sh*t with edits and whatnot. I haven't found any actual reviews to verify the quality.

Buyer beware I guess.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks for the update, MG.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 1:19 pm

It would appear as though this is getting a US release this Friday (11.13.15)...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OU049H6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YY4NLP7T11YP&coliid=I2NB51S962AKR7

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 81QwpHFNmzL._SL1425_

I'm still a little hesitant, but I might have to spring for this one for nostalgia sake.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Digging deeper into the GnR archives, looks like Axl's pre-Guns band Rapidfire and their ep, Ready To Rumble is finally going to see the light of day...

Quote :
Early tracks featuring Axl Rose in Rapidfire prior to Guns N’ Roses

Rapidfire was based in Los Angeles, USA and featured Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose under his real name Bill Bailey before he co-founded Hollywood Rose which later morphed into Guns N’ Roses.

The band was comprised of Bill Bailey on lead vocals, Kevin Lawrence on guitar, Mike Hamernik on bass and Chris Gordon on drums.

Rapidfire recorded an EP on May 25, 1983, just three days before the band apparently broke up. After several years of legal action with respect to the release of the album, guitarist Kevin Lawrence was finally able to release the Ready To Rumble EP commercially on November 15, 2014.

Track List for Ready To Rumble EP:
01. Ready To Rumble
02. All Night Long
03. Prowler
04. On the Run
05. Closure

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Rapidfire-CD-cover-4

Listen to clips on Amazon or search YouTube for complete songs
http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Rumble-Rapidfire/dp/B00RDLIB4G/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 12:18 pm

It appears this Rapidfire EP is on Spotify, so I'm listening to it now. Thanks for the heads up--never knew about this pre-Hollywood Rose band.

It's interesting to hear, and certainly isn't bad...but outside of like a collector/preserved for posterity type of thing, I can't imagine listening to it regularly.

The Rapidfire website, which I got to by way of looking them up on discogs, has a link to a 35-page PDF written by the attorney of the dude who put out the EP. I skimmed through some of it--sounds kind of interesting from what I did read.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 12:46 pm

I think the Rapidfire stuff was discussed here a few years ago when the tracks originally popped up on YouTube. There was talk of them being released but they had to cut through miles of red tape. I guess guitarist Kevin Lawrence finally got it all hammered out.

I'll probably grab a copy at some point. GnR fan till the end!! Razz

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Wow! I had no idea of a pre Hollywood Rose band having anything on record. Gotta check this out, thanks, MG.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Sleeze Roxx has posted a review of the GnR Live at the Ritz album...

http://sleazeroxx.com/reviews/guns-n-roses-new-york-new-york/

I'm still awaiting my copy's arrival in the mail. Sad

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Not a bad review. Excellent track list. I am def grabbing this at some point soon.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 1:25 pm

I am very pleased to report that my copy of the Ritz '88 finally arrived (2 sellers and snail-mail delays nonwithstanding) and I'm extremely happy with it. It's just about everything I hoped it would be.

As far as I can tell, there are little-to-no edits from the original radio/tv broadcast. The one minor edit I noticed right off the bat was at the beginning. In the live video, the band is introduced by someone on stage. That part is cut, just fading the crowd noise up until the band kicks in. No big deal. All other stage banter between songs is intact including band intros, no bleeping or editing of f-bombs in the performance.

The sound quality is good. You have to play it a little louder than a regular cd, but when has that been an issue? The live video has louder crowd-noise, especially in their participation on some songs, but this recording, the band is heard loud and clear over the audience. Again, not a big deal to me. This is a pure, unedited band performance. There are bum notes, missed cues, dropped vocals, etc. Warts and all. Just like a live album should be. It's not perfection, it's rock n' roll.

It's a standard jewel case and the liner notes are sparse, just a folded-over insert with a small write-up and a few vintage pics of Axl and the boys. Pretty standard for a bootleg release I guess. Mine is credited to Gossip Records (who?) copywrite 2014.

The set-list is pretty much all of Appetite for Destruction (3 songs omitted) and 2 covers, Aerosmith's 'Mama Kin' and Dylan's 'Knocking on Heaven's Door'.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with this release. As mentioned before, this original show was my first real glimpse of Guns 'n Roses back in '88 and I've been a life-long fan since then. Despite what they've since become or what the future holds, they will never hold a candle to this performance. I'd highly recommend this to any GnR fan. It's worth every penny. Get it before it's gone.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 12:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Digging deeper into the GnR archives, looks like Axl's pre-Guns band Rapidfire and their ep, Ready To Rumble is finally going to see the light of day...

Quote :
Early tracks featuring Axl Rose in Rapidfire prior to Guns N’ Roses

Rapidfire was based in Los Angeles, USA and featured Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose under his real name Bill Bailey before he co-founded Hollywood Rose which later morphed into Guns N’ Roses.

The band was comprised of Bill Bailey on lead vocals, Kevin Lawrence on guitar, Mike Hamernik on bass and Chris Gordon on drums.

Rapidfire recorded an EP on May 25, 1983, just three days before the band apparently broke up. After several years of legal action with respect to the release of the album, guitarist Kevin Lawrence was finally able to release the Ready To Rumble EP commercially on November 15, 2014.

Track List for Ready To Rumble EP:
01. Ready To Rumble
02. All Night Long
03. Prowler
04. On the Run
05. Closure

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Rapidfire-CD-cover-4

Listen to clips on Amazon or search YouTube for complete songs
http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Rumble-Rapidfire/dp/B00RDLIB4G/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Bump for yet another death in the music world. Rapidfire guitarist and founder Kevin Lawrence has passed at age 51...

http://sleazeroxx.com/r-i-p-kevin-lawrence-ex-rapidfire-with-axl-rose-1963-2016/

Shame he went through all the legal hassle to get these tapes released then up & dies.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah, I saw that on SR the other day. Pretty sad that he passed after all he went through to get the music released. I thought the article was very good and props to Lawrence for moving on and exploring other types of music.

As for the Gn'R concert, I still haven't run across this in the local record shop and I still need to grab this one. So much music and so little cash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92   Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guns n' Roses Live Radio Shows '88 & '92
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2