Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Billy Squier

Go down 
+20
the sentinel
journeyman
bass63
ResedaCountryClub
assault_attack
corplhicks
Troublezone
Glower
mr.electric39
brokentulsa
Eyesore
nevermore
mlotek
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
mikeinfla
Louder
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm

The guy rocked [all night long]. I hate the fact that most think about him "coming out" when, by seeing ANY of his videos, it was super obvious. I was at the Myth in Minnesota for his so-called "comeback" a bunch of years ago and he slayed. Any other fans of this rock icon? Still one of my favs.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:06 pm

I liked him as a kid, dismissed him as I got older and rediscovered his music recently.

A better songwriter then he is giving credit for. His discography is filled with gems IMO
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 6:20 am

Don't Say No is a fantastic album, probably in my top ten of all time.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 7:31 am

Picked up his first 3 albums on vinyl last year for 3 bucks. I've always loved his music. But as much as I heard rumors about him being gay, I also heard he was bangin' Martha Quinn back in the day so I dunno. She's still as cute as a button.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:22 am

Yeah, he rocks. Although I knew only the hits,I've been a fan of his since back in the day. I've since bought a greatest hits cd of his and it's a great listen the whole way through.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:12 am

I had his Don't Say No on cassette back in the day and played it so much that I practically wore it out... but for whatever reason I've never upgraded it to CD. Maybe I should do something about that now that you've got me thinking about it again...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 am

I had his greatest hits on cd at one time, but it ended up just taking up space on the shelf so away it went. Can't say I miss it.

Aside from that unfortunate video, I never thought he was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. For what it's worth, teh interwebs say he is married. To a woman.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Here he is with his wife
Billy Squier D73824de-4d7f-433f-95a2-b94c0c81755f

She is or was a German professional soccer player.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm

There were a few really good songs on the early albums (which I mostly found uninteresting).

Piper - 'Can't Wait' LP 1977 "Bad Boy"

Billy Squier - 'The Tale of the Tape' LP 1980 "Rich Kid"

'Don't Say No' (1981) , and 'Emotions in Motion' (1982) were great albums, maybe even 100% perfect ?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26445

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I had his Don't Say No on cassette back in the day and played it so much that I practically wore it out... but for whatever reason I've never upgraded it to CD. Maybe I should do something about that now that you've got me thinking about it again...

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:11 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Here he is with his wife
Billy Squier D73824de-4d7f-433f-95a2-b94c0c81755f

She is or was a German professional soccer player.

Hmm. Another myth busted. Still, brutal video.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 pm

Yeah, totally not gay. Until he dances around his bedroom. Haha.

Anyway, big fan of the guy here. From Piper to his solo stuff, even the recent acoustic offerings. He's a certifiable talent that got "shafted" by homophobia, basically. An absolute shame, really.

Dude's still got a solid voice, too; though apparently he has no band. Haha.

I mentioned this recently, but my father was in a band with Squier's drummer, Bobby Chouinard (who supposedly was gay), when he was a teen. They were called X-Wolf. Horrible name. Haha.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 12:54 am

I Have every single album Billy has put out..My favorite is the Rock Candy remaster of Tale of The Tape.. Also the anniversary remaster of Don't Say Know...
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 4:47 pm

I owned Dont Say Know back in the day.... My favorite track has always been Lonely is the Night... that song just kills!!!

The live version has a great jam and there are several on You Tube...

I recently picked up Billy Squier The Essentials.... 15 tracks with four of them coming from Dont Say Know.... of all of the best of's this is the only one I can find that had Lonely is the Night... hence it is now part of my collection again...

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 8:49 am

Gay ? Now that caught my eye.
I always thought of Billy, back then, as being a really pot high
and whiskey tipsy and just had sex - type listening to music
I read a G-N-R book - and Slash was being interviewed -
at his home in L.A - this is about 1988 or so -
It's midnight - 1 am - and Izzy calls - Slash reluctantly allows him in -
and Billy Squire walks in with Izzy -
they say hi, and they go in the next room and start jamming
as Slash shrugs and continues the interview about how 'A.F.D' is rocking the world -
I think Squire is a Massachussetts dude -
was around with The Cars, J.Geilis band, Boston, Aerosmith - etc
Dont Say No - was SUPER HUGE in New England -
Saw him live and Def Lep openned - (Bringin' on the Heart Ache song tour )
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 am

I got his remastered Don't Say Gay album a couple years ago. I also have one of his (Best Of) collections from Walmart. Dude is underrated and has a pretty good Robert Plant type voice.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 11:03 am

He's really good, grew up with his records and felt he always needed more attention (there was nothing wrong at all with that music video; if that was gay dancing then a handful of 80's pop metal videos were full of it, and who cares anyway).

BUT.

Eddie Trunk's inclusion of Squier in his Essentials book? That was almost out of place as his mention of Hagar.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 7:00 am

Former band guitarist Jeff Golub died yesterday at age 59 from a rare brain disease. Lately he was a successful jazz guitarist.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 5:15 pm

I was a huge fan back in the day. I liked his voice, Good songs.

I did see him with Piper, Headeast & Angel in San Jose. 25 years later across the street at Music In The Park I saw Jeff Golub & his Jazz band play. A few thousand people were there for a free show. My wife knows him through his Rod The Mod days...
Back to top Go down
ResedaCountryClub
Metal novice
Metal novice
ResedaCountryClub

Number of posts : 86

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Billy Squier has a lot of solid albums. My favorite was "The tale of tape".

Smart businessman as well. After his label "Capital" didn't want him anymore, he got back all of his music. He owns it all and has made a boatload of money from movies, commercials, and rap music. Billy Squier is one of the most sampled artists in rap music.
Back to top Go down
https://www.spreaker.com/show/hard_rocking_trivia_show
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 1:25 pm

I have his King Biscuit Flower Hour on CD and it is a totally kick butt live album.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 9:18 pm

ResedaCountryClub wrote:
Billy Squier has a lot of solid albums.  My favorite was "The tale of tape".  

Smart businessman as well.  After his label "Capital" didn't want him anymore, he got back all of his music.  He owns it all and has made a boatload of money from movies, commercials, and rap music.  Billy Squier is one of the most sampled artists in rap music.
Good for him. Glad to hear that. I remember seeing Billy perform on a show honoring Les Paul and being impressed. My sister played his albums all the time, so was kind of burnt on him and really didn't explore his work on my own. Time to revisit his stuff.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Been a fan since I was kid. I have had the hardest time locating a nice copy of "Signs of Life" on CD. I remember that being one of the first cassettes I bought with my own money.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

How anyone thought this was a good idea we'll never know...

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 4:31 pm

It's a fun video. Up there with Journey's Separate Ways and Candlemass's Bewtiched. Eddie Money's Shakin' also had its moments...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Billy Squier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Squier   Billy Squier Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Billy Squier
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next