Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vinyl Price

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 5:20 pm

My grandfather was an antique dealer for years..He once told me that an item is worth what people are willing to pay for it...Sometimes that price is more than the price guides and sometimes less..
Is this how vinyl collectors here see it when they are looking at albums.. Do you go by price guides or market value that day when deciding what you will pay for it..
I have noticed that many times on rare pieces I can get a better deal by buying from non US dealers over buying it in the states..anyone else see this.
Back to top Go down

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 5:58 pm

There are so many variables to grading and pricing vinyl, there is no simple answer. A lot of it depends on what pressing it was (1st or later), which pressing plant it came from, how rare it is, etc.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 8:01 am

I sold a used copy of Led Zep II on Ebay and everyone kept e-mailing me asking if it was an RL cut.

Vinyl Price 6098929694_339b2962e6

I had no idea what they were talking about but it didn't have it. I think it was GP. Apparently, the RL is the version collectors want. I think they are willing to pay more for that particular version. Turns out it is the Bob Ludwig mastered version which some collectors believe to be a better version. Personally, I don't care.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 am

I pay for a record what I pay for it. It depends on how flush I am, but most of the time, I don't spend much for that £20 new and top £25 for rare (this includes p+p)

About the only band I will pay a little more for is Helloween, the first three albums only.
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 11:45 am

Whoops. I thought the title read "Vincent Price". Nevermind.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Price guides are mostly worthless and I never refer to them. For me, it just comes down to what am I willing to pay for an album and its condition. Also, vinyl is generally overgraded like crazy on ebay and other sites. Everything on ebay is listed as near mint or very good plus when in reality they are merely very good. I find prices to be far better at my local record store because they have been in business for about 40 years and they know how to grade things and nothing is priced higher than $9 - and that's for double albums. Also, with the surge in popularity of vinyl there are lots and lots of novices that can be fleeced for an easy buck by unscrupulous sellers.

I find the prices and grading on discogs.com to be better than ebay. At least they seem more realistic to me. That being said, I have gotten great deals on ebay by watching a lot of sales and nabbing records that nobody bids on.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm with you on this. The local record store where I grew up has been going for over 30 years and the guy who runs it is brilliant!

The other thing is, because I've been going to his store since I was 12, he knows exactly what to hold back for me - it's so impressive to get there and see so much music waiting for me for an excellent price. Now, that's something you can't even pay for!!!
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
Sponsored content

Vinyl Price Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl Price   Vinyl Price Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vinyl Price
Page 1 of 1