Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Type O Negative any good?

Go down 
+15
DallasBlack
stormspell
metalhead777
Smindas
manny
mc666
Lari
brokentulsa
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Glower
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
fingers
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Type O Negative any good? Empty
PostSubject: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:38 am

I always thought of them as some weak nu metal band until I realized they were actually a doom metal band and were around before the nu metal movement. Are they any good and if so what's their best album to start on?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 am

Peter Steele was awesome! One of the original thrash metal guys and hugely inaccurate to call any of his stuff Nu Metal.

If you want classic Type O Negative I'd probably start with Bloody Kisses & October Rust

But if you are in more of a metal mood check out the debut album and his former band, the awesome Carnivore!!

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am

Carnivore rip. Unfortunately, I can't hang with a bunch of his misogynistic lyrics. But musically, probably one of the best crossover thrash bands around.

But you've never heard "Black No. 1"? Definitely check out their first record, as mentioned above. I'm no Type O expert, and I resisted checking them out beyond "Black No. 1", just because I got sick of the song on MTV at the time. But when I finally checked out that album, I dug it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:09 am

Carnivore's Retaliation is one of my fave thrash albums ever.

As for Type O, I dug their first couple of records and saw'em live about a half dozen times in the early 90s, but eventually I lost track of'em cuz their stuff started getting a little too "goth" and not enough "metal" for me.

I'll probably be the only one who proclaims their debut (Slow, Deep and Hard) as my fave, but Bloody Kisses was cool too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'll be the lone wolf who proclaims their debut (Slow, Deep and Hard) as my fave, but Bloody Kisses was cool too.

Disclaimer: When I stated "their first album" above, I was referring to Bloody Kisses. I always assumed it was their first. As mentioned, I'm not expert. Heh.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:14 am

Zombie - Much of Slow, Deep and Hard was composed from bits & scraps that had been intended for a third Carnivore album that never materialized, so it still has some of the "thrash" influence that their later stuff lacked.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Carnivore rip. Unfortunately, I can't hang with a bunch of his misogynistic lyrics. But musically, probably one of the best crossover thrash bands around.

But you've never heard "Black No. 1"? Definitely check out their first record, as mentioned above. I'm no Type O expert, and I resisted checking them out beyond "Black No. 1", just because I got sick of the song on MTV at the time. But when I finally checked out that album, I dug it a lot.

I think Peter was largely misunderstood, he went to extremes with his lyrics and I think that most of the time, the point he was trying to make was the complete opposite to the one that people thought he was trying to make which caused him no end of bother!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Zombie - Much of Slow, Deep and Hard was composed from bits & scraps that had been intended for a third Carnivore album that never materialized, so it still has some of the "thrash" influence that their later stuff lacked.

I will definitely have to check that out. That could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 am

Did Peter really do a male nude photo shoot for a X-rated magazine ?
Very sad to hear about his passing - he was very gloomy and just seemed so unhappy -
When I first heard him sing " Body of Christ " in the end lyrics of a song " Corpis Christi " -
I thought that the band was just way too out there - outrageous - but still checked them out -
I really like October Rust. Even the odd, funny, beginning of the CD - LOL -
It's such a great pre-Christmas listen type of CD. They were good at what they did for sure !
I wish I had seen them in concert.....
TROUBLE was a gloomy as I got to see live (Opened for King Diamond)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:00 am

Quote :

Yea, he was in Playgirl.

I owned October Rust awhile ago but I think it was too "goth" flavored for my taste, so I ditched it. And Peter Steele sounds like Lurch to me.

I've toyed with the idea of picking up their greatest hits and taking another listen but I'm in no hurry.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

Glower wrote:
Very sad to hear about his passing - he was very gloomy and just seemed so unhappy -
When I first heard him sing " Body of Christ " in the end lyrics of a song " Corpis Christi " -
I thought that the band was just way too out there - outrageous - but still checked them out -
I really like October Rust. Even the odd, funny, beginning of the CD - LOL -
It's such a great pre-Christmas listen type of CD. They were good at what they did for sure !
I wish I had seen them in concert.....
TROUBLE was a gloomy as I got to see live (Opened for King Diamond)

He was in Playgirl, and their live album cover has a closeup of his spread asshole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Yea, he was in Playgirl.

Quick true story about Pete's Playgirl appearance: that magazine happened to hit racks while Type O was opening for Queensryche's "Promised Land" tour. I went to that show with a girl I'd gone to college with. She was there to see Queensryche, she had never heard of Type O, knew nothin' about 'em at all before we got to the venue. However, as soon as Type O came out onstage and she got a look at Pete Steele, she was in LOOOOOVE. I mentioned in passing "Ya know, he's in the new issue of Playgirl right now," and she was like "REAAAAAALLLLLLY?" so after the concert we must've stopped at least a dozen 7-11s and other late night convenience stores so she could find a copy of that magazine. When she came running out of the last store waving one, she sez "I GOT IT! Wanna see?" and I'm like "Ummmm, no, that's okay... you have fun though." Laughing very hard

Quote :
their live album cover has a closeup of his spread asshole.

I've owned that CD since it was a new release, and to this day I still can't look directly at it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:00 pm

one of my favorite bands...the original Goth metal band with some doom overlay...plus they had a real sense of humor...

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I have October Rust, Bloody Kisses and Dead Again. I like all to a degree. They have a unique vibe and a powerful vocalist. But the band gets a bit dull and samey at times, and I can't remember the last time I've played any of the three CDs.

I generally like the faster songs, because they work any time. But I guess you have to be in the mood for the slow, plodding, doomy stuff.

Also, I thought they were gothic, not doom. Not that I really know the difference... something to do with lyrics, right?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I like everything they did in small doses.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm

I like them well enough, Pete Steele had dark sense of humor which was their saving grace IMO
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 3:12 pm

manny wrote:
I like them well enough, Pete Steele had dark sense of humor which was their saving grace IMO

He was dark indeed. I remember when he died, noone believed it. They just figured he was setting up some weird, dark hoax.

http://www.eonline.com/news/176569/no-hoax-this-time-heavy-metal-star-peter-steele-dead

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Only Carnivore is real. Type O Negative isn't for me.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Big ol' fan of Type O, one of my favourites. Heavy goth with elements of doom and psychedelia - I was hooked from the first time I heard 'Christian Woman'. I've actually been spinning World Coming Down quite a bit recently. Save for the slightly pointless interludes, I think it's one of their strongest, if incredibly depressing.

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 pm

The only album I ever owned was Slow, Deep & Hard. The track Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity used to make me laugh. I never felt the desire to explore them further.

I do like their cover of Summer Breeze.

Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:50 pm

They're a good doom metal band. I don't know how to put it other than they sound really 90's, alongside the doomy sound they have going. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Quote :
The only album I ever owned was Slow, Deep & Hard. The track Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity used to make me laugh.

That's the song that got me into them. Very Happy The first time I saw Type O, the S, D & H album had only been released a few weeks prior - they were opening for Prong. I was there mainly cuz I was hoping that Type O might play a couple of old Carnivore songs. They didn't, but they did play "Unsuccessfully Coping...", which brought the house down and sold me on them instantly.

... and I did get to hear them do Carnivore's "Race War" and "Jesus Hitler" at later gigs. headbanger

Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
their live album cover has a closeup of his spread asshole.

I've owned that CD since it was a new release, and to this day I still can't look directly at it. Very Happy

Put it on eBay - the original "asshole" cover fetches top bucks over there, or at least used to back in the day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 3:01 am

Bloody Kisses and to a lesser extent, October Rust, are masterpieces IMO. What I always liked about TO- was the deeper voice of Peter Steele. As someone who sings in a lower register (though I'm nowhere near as deep as he was) it allowed me to sing along without going too far out of my range.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 11:06 am

Bloody Kisses is a brilliant album. Can't really say the same about any others. There are many good songs among the lot, but I don't think they ever again quite hit on that golden vein like they did with Bloody Kisses.

If you dig Carnivore, check out Furbowl. I always thought they sounded somewhat similar, though Furbowl is less thrashy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Type O Negative any good?   Type O Negative any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Type O Negative any good?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next