Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?

Go down 
+13
Thrasher73
Nomadic Drifter
asgard1980
Runicen
chewie
Lari
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
MetalGuy71
exact33
A Handful of Wayne
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Empty
PostSubject: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Wasn't really sure where to put this thread so it ended up here.

While at work today I put on my music, because by the end of the week I'm tired of hearing the same old crap that played on the radio. My office only gets 2 stations in too, neither which I like at all and most of the office doesn't either but we don't really have a choice. Anyway, so another one of my co-workers comes in and he puts his music on, so I'm like ok I'll just shut mine off. No big deal, we listen to pretty similar music but he's more alternative rock. So, he has Pandora on playing through his phone and Pearl Jam comes on, great I love Pearl Jam but its like the slower songs and I can't listen to slow stuff when I'm working. Then more slower songs keep coming on Skid Row, Tool, Stained, Creed, and a couple of other things I don't like at all. As I'm listening I realize all the songs are older, from like the very early 2000's and earlier. So I asked him don't you listen to anything new? He's like, no I hate new music. I can see that to an extent, depending on if a band you like has really put out some band albums over the years and you really lost interest, but Pearl Jam has had great albums since TEN, same as STP, and Tool, and a few others that came on that I like their newer albums and he was just like NOPE never heard them.

So, I was wondering if anyone else is like that? I don't think too many people here are of course because this board would be really boring haha, but has anyone been like that at one point? Sure I've gotten sick of bands that I like but I still keep up with them and do actually like a lot of the newer songs over older songs because some older stuff I really wore out after non stop listening. My co-worker likes Metallica and he's actually heard the newer stuff and he's like they aren't making any more Sanitariums, or Master Of Puppets or songs like that, which is understandable, but I'm not looking for them to remake songs like that and I'm happy if they just write A good song. I've been happy with all the albums except St. Anger and I'd honestly rather hear newer songs over the old stuff lately anyway.

It just annoys me to hear someone say they don't like new stuff. People with that mind set are just adding to the problems with the music industry and bands themselves. Theres a lot of great NEW music out there by the older bands and even newer bands that I couldn't see myself just only listening to stuff that came out up til 2001. Oh and my co-worker goes, yea Pandora is great. After a while it'll start playing the stuff you like, but sometimes it'll get repetitive.......REALLY!!??? I WONDER WHY!!! hahaha

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 pm

I really enjoy new music and listen to it quite frequently. There are so many good bands out there nowadays and i would have missed them if i only listened to old stuff. I do enjoy the old stuff too - i have had a ton of re-discovering since i am going back and ripping my collection but the new stuff is great too.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Yea I've been kind of doing the same thing while I've been re-ripping my cds too. Actually right now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin and I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to a Zeppelin song haha. If for some reason they put out an album today I'd be more interested to hear it than listening to the old stuff that I've heard a million times over and already know by heart. Now the new album might not be anywhere as good but still. I'm always up for new music.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 10:43 am

All the time. In the car, in work, at home. In fact, this past weekend, the wife & kids went down the shore. I had the house to myself and the only time music wasn't playing was when the tv was on.

I rocked out with my c**k out all weekend. Despite the neighbors objections.  crazy happy

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am

I listen to music everyday, just not at work.

I also think its unfair to older artist that fans only want to hear the classics, how do does fans think these songs became classics? Because then newer tunes were included heavily into the set list.

I saw KISS recently not a single song from 'Monster' was included in the set, same with Def Leppard, not a single tune from 'Sparkle Lounge', but that is at least a little more understandable since the album is a few years old.

Tons of classic metal/hard rock bands include maybe one or two tunes from whatever their latest album is.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I listen to music every day. I start listening when I wake up and I listen to music on the way to work, at work and on the way home from work.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm listening to Motorhead at my desk right now while I eat lunch.  headbanger 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:28 pm

manny wrote:

I also think its unfair to older artist that fans only want to hear the classics, how do does fans think these songs became classics? Because then newer tunes were included heavily into the set list.

I saw KISS recently not a single song from 'Monster' was included in the set, same with Def Leppard, not a single tune from 'Sparkle Lounge', but that is at least a little more understandable since the album is a few years old.

Tons of classic metal/hard rock bands include maybe one or two tunes from whatever their latest album is.

It just amazes me how people just want to hear the old songs. I guess theres just that attachment to that period in time that brings back memories that people like to go back to, but they never moved on with the bands after that. I understand life getting in the way and you can kind of float away from listening to anything in general, but I would think after a certain point you'll eventually want to revisit the music you loved and also want to check out what they are up to now. I guess we are only a select few haha.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
manny wrote:

It just amazes me how people just want to hear the old songs. I guess theres just that attachment to that period in time that brings back memories that people like to go back to, but they never moved on with the bands after that. I understand life getting in the way and you can  kind of float away from listening to anything in general, but I would think after a certain point you'll eventually want to revisit the music you loved and also want to check out what they are up to now. I guess we are only a select few haha.

Since I never saw Aerosmith live until the KISS tour, I wonder how many older fans where bitching about the "new" songs in the set in the 80's
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 pm

As I'm listening I realize all the songs are older, from like the very early 2000's and earlier. So I asked him don't you listen to anything new? He's like, no I hate new music.

Early noughties is old now?

Damn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 pm

There's always something playing. Nothing else in the world could ever be as uplifting as music, regardless of tastes.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:28 am

All the time. Discovering old and new music as well.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 am

The idea of not liking "new" bands is kind of hard to pin down. I mean, if you want to get technical about it, anything you haven't heard before is "new" to you. Does your coworker hate "new" US metal bands? Ok, that's a little easier to pin down and not really a bad judgement. Regional genre-specific music can hit a rut some fans won't like. Does that mean there isn't some band out of the UK or Europe that's scratching that itch? Of course not - in fact, there almost certainly is.

I think the weirder part of "not liking new music" is this idea that the only new music is on the radio, which hasn't been true for at least a decade, if not longer, even for mid-tier acts.
Back to top Go down
asgard1980
Metal novice
Metal novice
asgard1980

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 2:06 pm

I listen to my music every day. Mostly in the evening, when I have stopped working.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/asgard1980
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Okay - I'll tentatively go out on a limb and say I'm not that interested in new music. Don't get me wrong - I support all of the bands/artists (that I like, that are still viable) and their new releases, but there are so many of them that most of the time I'm unable to keep up.

I find it more affordable and satisfying to explore bands from the 70's and 80's that I missed out on or were overlooked for some reason. My perspective is that I am more interested in the music that may have been an influence upon many of the bands/artists I still like.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Runicen wrote:
The idea of not liking "new" bands is kind of hard to pin down.  I mean, if you want to get technical about it, anything you haven't heard before is "new" to you.  Does your coworker hate "new" US metal bands?  Ok, that's a little easier to pin down and not really a bad judgement.  Regional genre-specific music can hit a rut some fans won't like.  Does that mean there isn't some band out of the UK or Europe that's scratching that itch?  Of course not - in fact, there almost certainly is.  

I think the weirder part of "not liking new music" is this idea that the only new music is on the radio, which hasn't been true for at least a decade, if not longer, even for mid-tier acts.

I think my co-worker just doesn't like anything new at all whether its US or european or whatever. and really I'm the only one at my job that listens to my music. Except for this other guy but hes mostly 90's- early 2000's alternative. No one at my job has heard of anything I listen to lol

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
Okay - I'll tentatively go out on a limb and say I'm not that interested in new music.  Don't get me wrong - I support all of the bands/artists (that I like, that are still viable) and their new releases, but there are so many of them that most of the time I'm unable to keep up.  

I find it more affordable and satisfying to explore bands from the 70's and 80's that I missed out on or were overlooked for some reason.  My perspective is that I am more interested in the music that may have been an influence upon many of the bands/artists I still like.  

Ok everyone, We found him. NOW LETS GET HIM!!! When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? 47715 lol! 

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 3:21 am

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
Okay - I'll tentatively go out on a limb and say I'm not that interested in new music.  Don't get me wrong - I support all of the bands/artists (that I like, that are still viable) and their new releases, but there are so many of them that most of the time I'm unable to keep up.  

I find it more affordable and satisfying to explore bands from the 70's and 80's that I missed out on or were overlooked for some reason.  My perspective is that I am more interested in the music that may have been an influence upon many of the bands/artists I still like.  

Ok everyone, We found him. NOW LETS GET HIM!!! When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? 47715 lol! 

Ha Ha - Bring it on...  you'll need at least three flight connections

But really I'm far more satisfied having heard:

the first 5 Jethro Tull Albums ONLY because Iron Maiden covered Cross-eyed Mary
Flotsam and Jetsam ONLY because Jason Newstead joined Metallica
Armoured Saint ONLY because John Bush joined Anthrax
The first three Wishbone Ash albums ONLY because Steve Harris mentioned them in an interview.

....I could go on all day, but (I hope) you get my point.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am

I think my co-worker just doesn't like anything new at all whether its US or european or whatever. and really I'm the only one at my job that listens to my music. Except for this other guy but hes mostly 90's- early 2000's alternative. No one at my job has heard of anything I listen to lol

I just find it weird meeting people who have NO interest in music beyond background noise. I mean, we all do that from time to time, toss something on in the background while we work or whatever, but I seem to meet a lot more people now who just couldn't care less about the stuff. It's really weird because it wasn't like it was that long ago that people used to get together to go to shows or check out a new release when someone picked it up.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Also too, my co-worker is a Gym nut and he's one of those guys who wants the rock/metal music for when he works out. Another guy I work with is the same way. He listens to rap but about a year or two ago he wanted me to give him SLAYER and a bunch of other heavy bands so he could work out to at the gym. That kind of annoys me because, oh you can listen to it while your at the Gym but don't dare get caught listening to it in your car lol

Last edited by Phoenix Reign Drummer on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Oh and I gave the other guy a mix cd of a bunch of stuff, but he never listened to it.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
Nomadic Drifter wrote:

Ha Ha - Bring it on...  you'll need at least three flight connections

But really I'm far more satisfied having heard:

the first 5 Jethro Tull Albums ONLY because Iron Maiden covered Cross-eyed Mary
Flotsam and Jetsam ONLY because Jason Newstead joined Metallica
Armoured Saint ONLY because John Bush joined Anthrax
The first three Wishbone Ash albums ONLY because Steve Harris mentioned them in an interview.

....I could go on all day, but (I hope) you get my point.

lol! 

Yea I understand. I'm the same way about some of those bands. I never heard of Flotsam until Jason joined Metallica so that opened up a whole new world. Same with Armored Saint with John joining Anthrax and then finding out Metallica also wanted John to sing in Metallica years ago. That made me want to see what was with the Armored Saint band that was so great. I haven't stopped listening to them since tho. I have all the albums and love them.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Runicen wrote:

I just find it weird meeting people who have NO interest in music beyond background noise.  I mean, we all do that from time to time, toss something on in the background while we work or whatever, but I seem to meet a lot more people now who just couldn't care less about the stuff.  It's really weird because it wasn't like it was that long ago that people used to get together to go to shows or check out a new release when someone picked it up.

Yea man, I don't get it either, but I guess some peoples lives change so much that they don't really keep paying attention to music all that much. For me its just different tho. I've had so many good times listening to music whether it was hanging out with friends or playing drums and creating music when I was in a band. I always want to listen to music or create music. I don't listen 24/7 but I listen every day at work, any time I get in my car, once in a while at home If I'm alone and doing house work. I couldn't think of not hearing new music. Will the wife keep bitching when I get new cds? Of Course! Do I care? Noooooo lol. I have slowed down with buying but I'll always buy the stuff I have to listen to right away. Some other ones I can wait.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 am

I'm always into new music whether it be a band I've loved for years or a newer band.I know what you mean about people like that though,they are usually just casual music fans or whatnot.Not really music addicts like most of us here.Haha.

Anyway,the trouble I have with most of my coworkers is they only listen to country.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 pm

As far as actual listening goes I have a dedicated hour each morning and evening to listen to music uninterrupted. No cell phone, no surfing the internet, no TV turned on. Just me and my comfortable chair in my home studio. I get up in the morning, make coffee and then head off to the music room for an hour, it gets my mind working. Then in the evening when I get home I go listen for another hour to unwind from the stresses of the day. It's the closest thing to meditation for me.

As for new music I tend to buy new releases from bands I already know. I will admit to being rather behind the times on a lot of newer bands though occasionally I'll check out recommendations from friends or from internet discussion boards. I should check out more but don't always have the time. Working TV production and raising a teenage daughter by myself takes up a lot of my available time.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?   When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When Is The Last Time You Actually Listened To Music?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next