Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"It's just a fad you're going through" ......

Go down 
+39
Dave the Boss
Citanul
SAHB Healer
mc666
James B.
jstate
sovdat
manny
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
TheUnborn
corplhicks
metalhead777
scottmitchell74
nevermore
Gilbert
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Runicen
DallasBlack
Lari
Required Fields
SideShowDisaSter
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Short-Fuse
mlotek
Lurideath
Glower
TheGreatDuck
AutumnShantel
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Thelemech
bgsully
Boris2008
Big Rich
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

"It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm

My mom never told me it was a fad for me. But many older people.

One time I was listening to Blizzard Of Oz and my mom says... "Richard, I hear classical music in there." Not even knowing who Randy was or how he incorporated that music into his guitar playing.
That's a cool mom.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Heck, my Dad thought the PMRC was a joke and made quite a few jokes about the bored Washington housewives.

My parents thought the same thing. Mom was a Beatles fan growing up and Dad was an Elvis fan, and both of those artists went thru similar "controversies" with busybody housewives proclaiming "It's the devil's music! Ban it!"... so when Tipper and her friends came along they just shrugged like, "Pfft, good grief. Heeeeere we go again" Laughing very hard

I don't think my dad was quite on board with Tipper, however, I was not allowed to have any music that had the advisory on it (or if he found it and saw lyrics or an album cover he wasn't happy with-happened to my first copy of Type O Negative-Bloody Kisses) until I was of driving age and able to hide it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
heck, they bought me albums for birthday/Christmas presents (including KISS albums as a kid, my own LP/Cassette/FM/AM stereo)

headbanger  Me too,god love em.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 pm

I never cared what other people thought, when metal was 'hip' in the 80's, I already loved it, but also loved the heavier stuff. As I got older, some of my friends decided they no longer liked metal, and went the alternative rock route, which is fine, since I liked most of those bands too, but I did not feel I had sell my old bands done the river because I liked alternative

I love music, could careless about genre or so called demographics, or jerk off's who feel that one should out grow their love of metal
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

Just curious: how many of you 80s metalheads still maintain the "metal look" today? I.e. long hair etc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am

sovdat wrote:
Just curious: how many of you 80s metalheads still maintain the "metal look" today? I.e. long hair etc.

I still wear an Iron Maiden shirt now and again. Male pattern baldness and middle-aged spread have taken care of the rest. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am

I never had a "true" metal look to begin with.  I had the Lars mullet back in the day.  But outside of the shirts nothing really distinguished me as a metal fan.  I guess I had more of a Scott Ian type thing with the shorts.  I really had a weird mash-up fashion wise with everything I was into.  Today I shave my head (nature took care to eliminate having long hair even if I wanted to) and just wear what is comfortable.

I think the only time I heard the fad thing was in regards to rap in the 80's.  I still love the stuff from that era but after 1992 it never did a thing for me.  

My parents were very anti-PMRC.  We even got the Frank Zappa newsletters.  My mom bought me a WASP poster since she was impressed with Blackie's testimony.  My parents felt only good things could come from loving music.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:31 am

sovdat wrote:

I've never had long hair. Not even in the 80s. I've always had a buzz-cut, flat-top or short hair. I don't have any tattoos, and I've never had any piercings.

I am an attorney, so I really don't wear my vest and concert shirts at work, but I do wear them on weekends and after work. I still will wear my patch vest to concerts. It's a good conversation starter.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:38 am

My black suede cowboy boots with the chains and buckles are in storage in the back of my closet with my leather biker jacket. I've said it here before, but I'd have long hair if I could. It grows out instead of down. A Gabe Kaplan afro is not a good look for me.

"It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Welc017

Although the mustache is still awesome!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Quote :
I still will wear my patch vest to concerts. It's a good conversation starter.

The best thing I ever got off ebay was a Sabbath jacket with a TYR back patch. 15 bucks shipped. In new unworn shape too. Every time I've ever worn it I've gotten comments and not of the positive variety either. What can I say, I love that album. That's always my response.

I would kill for a Gabe Kaplan afro. For real.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Yeah my shop teacher in high school said it to me quite a bit.   He also got pissed that I listened to "Metal" in wood shop

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:25 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :
I still will wear my patch vest to concerts. It's a good conversation starter.

The best thing I ever got off ebay was a Sabbath jacket with a TYR back patch.  15 bucks shipped.  In new unworn shape too.  Every time I've ever worn it I've gotten comments and not of the positive variety either.  What can I say, I love that album.  That's always my response.

I would kill for a Gabe Kaplan afro.  For real.

A Tyr back patch! Sounds amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:05 pm

I've had long hair for over 5 years (though it came pretty close to being short-around mid-ear-this past fall) and I have enough band shirts to wear a different one for at the least, 6 months. As far as other wear goes, I have taken to camo pants and shorts with only occasional jeans. In the winter I have a motorcycle jacket (that I've had since 1995) or a leather trench coat (that has managed to not last even half as long-got it in 2002 and it's lining is shot and there is a hole in the lower lapel). I've also taken to have long goetee. For years I would change my facial hair every several months but last year I decided to stick with it.

If anybody watches the picture thread anymore, they've seen this. However, this is my current look (sans band shrit-I recently added some cartoon shirts to my repertoire):

"It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Dscf0310

Hair is still too damn short. angry 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Rocko's Modern Life was an awesome show. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Rocko's Modern Life was an awesome show. Very Happy

Sure was! Also a pioneer of it's time (just like Ren & Stimpy) with the hidden adult humor found in most cartoons today (though Rocko pushed the limit far more than say, Spongebob does today). Interesting fact, the voice of Heffer is Tom Kenny, who also is Spongebob (a show where many on Rocko's staff went after it's cancellation and whose creator, Stephen Hillenburg, was a writer, producer, and storyboard artist during the third and fourth seaons). The more you know... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:22 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I've had long hair for over 5 years (though it came pretty close to being short-around mid-ear-this past fall) and I have enough band shirts to wear a different one for at the least, 6 months. As far as other wear goes, I have taken to camo pants and shorts with only occasional jeans. In the winter I have a motorcycle jacket (that I've had since 1995) or a leather trench coat (that has managed to not last even half as long-got it in 2002 and it's lining is shot and there is a hole in the lower lapel). I've also taken to have long goetee. For years I would change my facial hair every several months but last year I decided to stick with it.

If anybody watches the picture thread anymore, they've seen this. However, this is my current look (sans band shrit-I recently added some cartoon shirts to my repertoire):

are you losing your hair?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Gilbert wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

are you losing your hair?

No, I've had a high hair line since I was a kid. Also, I had just taken my hair out of a tail so much of it was still back. I had just lowered it to show it's current length. Here's a better picture now that my hair has settled into it's length:

"It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Win_2010
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 3:27 pm

sovdat wrote:

Nope.. Shorts and concert t's outside of work, but that's about it. Can't really have long hair in my line of work...
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 3:43 pm

My hair is pretty long again. I also wear metal t-shirts, but rarely wear jeans. I wear khaki cargo shorts and flip flops almost everyday.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Big Rich wrote:
My hair is pretty long again. I also wear metal t-shirts, but rarely wear jeans. I wear khaki cargo shorts and flip flops almost everyday.

My camo pants/shorts are cargo as well. However, on my days off I wear sandals. On work days or special occasions, I wear boots (I haven't worn tennis shows regularly since 1999).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 am

Never had long hair.

as a lawyer I have to wear suits all week long but I wear my metal tshirts during weekends.

Summers are long here so i get to enjoy my metal gear.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 1:43 am

I grew my hair back out for a while (there's a thread about it somewhere) but my wife persuaded me to cut it. Other than my fixation with denim jeans, that's about as metal as I ever get these days. Leather jackets are not as comfortable as they used to be.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 am

sovdat wrote:

I've never had it. I had very long hair for quite a while, but not because it was some sort of "metal fashion". I shave my head these days. I do wear some death metal & grind/gore shirts, but "metalheads" don't like that kind of music. They're into Aerosmith, U.D.O., Megadeth, etc..

The whole denim, leather, patches, & spikes shit, i've always found ridiculous.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 2:20 am

corplhicks wrote:
Leather jackets are not as comfortable as they used to be.

Depends on the quality of the leather. Lamb skin leather jackets are incredibly comfortable... but highly expensive. On my budget though, cheap cow leather jackets are all I can afford these days. Not sure how comfortable or not they are as I haven't gotten a leather jacket in over a decade (my Wilson trenchcoat). I do need to get a new biker one when my budget allows it (hopefully by August as that's when leather coats are their cheapest) as my current one (after nearly 20 years, it has seen better days-not to mention that I'm almost 50 lbs. heavier than when I first got it).
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 am

Look, my parents were in a nursing home most of the past decade, they were in their 90's. Big Bands and Lawrence Welk were the musak that they played to keep the troops of the greatest gen docile.. Eventually there were a lot of relatively younger patients, in their 60's & 70's (mostly diabetic or cardio). During that time, and during my many hours sitting at my parents bedsides, I couldn't help but be bemused by the influx of Elvis and Roy Orbison into the musak that they piped in for the "younger" geezers. The inevitable conclusion had to be that in my day (soon enough!!) The musak will be Zep and Purple (let's hope so anyway!)
You guys? You are gonna be laying in bed with your oxygen tubes, being force fed Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Mark my words! I been there. Load up your I pods now with Slayer or Trouble or Stryper or whatever you want to die to, and list it in your living will to strap that baby on after you have your stroke. I ain't lying.

ps. I'm amending my last wishes to stipulate right now to make sure that my last days are metal. To die listening to Beetles is kind of like a long intro to hell,IMO.
Metal wasn't just a phase, no.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"It's just a fad you're going through" ......
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: