Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"It's just a fad you're going through" ......

Go down 
+39
Dave the Boss
Citanul
SAHB Healer
mc666
James B.
jstate
sovdat
manny
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
TheUnborn
corplhicks
metalhead777
scottmitchell74
nevermore
Gilbert
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Runicen
DallasBlack
Lari
Required Fields
SideShowDisaSter
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Short-Fuse
mlotek
Lurideath
Glower
TheGreatDuck
AutumnShantel
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Thelemech
bgsully
Boris2008
Big Rich
43 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

"It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Empty
PostSubject: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 10:12 pm

This may not ring true for the younger metalheads, but back in the 80s I heard this crap all the time.

"IN 25 years, you will look back and laugh at all of this and laugh. Heavy Metal is just a fad you're going through." "

Well, many of us proved that wrong. Through the decline of the popularity of metal music, we are still here.

Did anybody else ever hear this crap?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 10:29 pm

I actually believed it!

There was no way that I could as a fifteen year old kid, imagine that I would still enjoy listening to Kreator, Possessed and Slayer when I was 42, I just thought that by then I would just be like old people I knew then and like old person music. It never dawned on me that most of these bands would still be around doing it three decades later! It never dawned on me that it would become old person music.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Yea, I heard it too. Haha.......but I'm loving tbe same stuff. I imagine I'll be rockin' out when I'm in my rocking chair.  \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Yep - heard this from family and friends. If anything my taste involves several styles of music - but I always go back to the Metal.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 11:39 pm

I hear it on this forum
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 12:43 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I hear it on this forum

You were just a kid when you started posting about metal.
 "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... 754598 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:09 am

I heard it back then but I cannot really blame the people who said it. A lot of music fans hop from one fad to another so it does make a lot of sense.

Ill listen to metal as long as I find stuff to like but I will not listen just to be "metal", whatever that term means.

AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:16 am

People have said that to me... but I don't get it, because metal isn't even that popular now, especially what I like. If I was following a fad, wouldn't I like something else??
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:55 am

Big Rich wrote:
This may not ring true for the younger metalheads, but back in the 80s I heard this crap all the time.

"IN 25 years, you will look back and laugh at all of this and laugh. Heavy Metal is just a fad you're going through." "

Well, many of us proved that wrong. Through the decline of the popularity of metal music, we are still here.

Did anybody else ever hear this crap?

Well, it's not that uncommon these days either, only I'm mostly getting it from hipsters and music snobs on music forums.
"You think your power metal is the greatest thing ever, but with time you will evolve and grow out of that and start listening to objectively quality music like Radiohead or My Bloody Valentine or Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Arcade Fire or Animal Collective or Massive Attack or some random jazz and realize your metal is pretentious wankery for dumb insecure asocial nerd kids who want to feel special among the regular pop fans around them."

AutumnShantel wrote:
People have said that to me... but I don't get it, because metal isn't even that popular now, especially what I like. If I was following a fad, wouldn't I like something else??

Metal might not be blasting from every radio station out there, but still, metalheads do make a solid subculture in Europe and the Americas. So some people think people who listen to metal do so because they want to feel special and superior to the average pop listener.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am

I thought " RAP " 'music was going to be a fad - wrong. Damn.
I thought Disco was kinda fun - celebration type thing - but wow - that was a fad big time -
I always loved punk rock - the very ground floor foundation of rebeliousness -
Blues can be pretty wild too -
But when Heavy Metal - began mixing with Alice and Chains and Nirvana - at parties -
that was the shockaroni - they had some songs - but they weren't the 80's party songs -
then came the clothing style with grunge - everything went down hill - like the Titanic -
but Metal happened ! Like a meteor across a night sky -
and I have a plenty of documentation concerning it ( cd's ) LOL -
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 11:25 am

I love it when I hear new stuff like this - fad is back alive !

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 11:43 am

I heard it a lot! Here I am now at 42 still cranking it!
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 12:54 pm

One summer, I was working as a janitor/superintendent's assistant for some condo's when I was 17 .
Eventually started wearing my Motorhead and AC/DC shirts to work.
One day when the boss took me for a ride to pick up supplies, he laughed that I hated the mellow "adult" FM radio music.
He said one day I would "grow out" of heavy metal.

he was wrong  Razz
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Back in 2002, before an NA show, I asked John Connelly to sign my Game Over cd before he went on, and I remarked that I was still into his music and he also said it was a phase I was going through. I wonder, did he mean that or was he being sarcastic? scratch 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 2:34 pm

I occasionally still get it from co-workers, i.e. "you still listen to that stuff? At YOUR age?" (I just turned 44 last month) .

Apparently I was supposed to start wearing golf shirts and listening to Phish and the Dave Matthews Band at the end of my 20s. Sorry, I never got that memo.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 3:39 pm

I listen to more Death Metal and Black Metal at 42 than I ever did when I was younger...I didn't so much hear it was a fad as much as that I would go to hell for listening to it...and Rock music in general, for that matter.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
Back in 2002, before an NA show, I asked John Connelly to sign my Game Over cd before he went on, and I remarked that I was still into his music and he also said it was a phase I was going through. I wonder, did he mean that or was he being sarcastic? scratch 

around 1989-90, one of my friends back then, tried to give Connelly his band's demo tape.
It was crossover thrash, but he would no take it.
Connelly said "I don't listen to this kind of music, I only listen to jazz".
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:19 pm

I used to hear that all the time but not so much now. I've broadened my tastes a lot since I was in my teens and 20s to include stuff I hated back then like Springsteen, Steely Dan, Supertramp, etc. and also stuff like KMDFM, Ministry, Less Than Jake, Therion and Bruce Hornsby. And most people I know around my age say the same thing. But we all still mainly listen to stuff on the harder side. But I don't hear anyone telling me it's time to grow up or anything like that.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm not sure that any of my musical tastes have changed that much. I got into metal & electronic stuff through Motorhead, Priest, Gary Numan & Soft Cell. i also loved Punk, Ska, Disco & ABBA!

I can honestly say that I haven't 'outgrown' any of it!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:42 pm

My dad used to drop that on me all the time. "You'll grow out of it", "it's just a phase", etc etc. I got so sick of hearing that!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm not sure that any of my musical tastes have changed that much. I got into metal & electronic stuff through Motorhead, Priest, Gary Numan & Soft Cell. i also loved Punk, Ska, Disco & ABBA!

I can honestly say that I haven't 'outgrown' any of it!  Very Happy 

\'arry \'eadbanger  same here. If anything, my tastes have gotten weirder.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:53 pm

My parents never put me through that at all, fortunately, and they've never been fans of metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Truth is, a lot of people DID grow out of heavy metal. Or, to be more specific, actively stopped listening to music.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Lari wrote:
Truth is, a lot of people DID grow out of heavy metal. Or, to be more specific, actively stopped listening to music.

I've done that in the past, but once I started listening to metal again, i remembered why I had loved it in the first place.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:05 pm

My mom's husband (RIP) used to say that back in the early 90s. Probably led me to keep with it just to prove him wrong Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "It's just a fad you're going through" ......   "It's just a fad you're going through" ...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"It's just a fad you're going through" ......
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: