Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)

Go down 
+10
Citanul
mc666
Eyesore
Witchfinder
Runicen
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Empty
PostSubject: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 2:40 pm

If Phil, Rex, and Zakk Wylde formed a band with a "name" metal drummer (like, say, Lombardo maybe ... or maybe someone better at fitting into someone else's band) and played 95% PANTERA covers it would make tons of money.  They could all do their other bands on the side.  They could name themselves after a PANTERA song.  It would go over very well and is money just waiting to be taken.

Now, if they tried to write new songs it would be obvious that they are imposters and can't really recreate what PANTERA did at all so it would be best to avoid that as long as possible, even though people will keep asking about it.

How would this be worse than DIO DISCIPLES? or LAST IN LINE? or even the newest QUEENSYCHE lineup sans both DeGarmo and Tate?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Scott Gorham seems to be doing ok with his Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders hybrid project. I don't think I'd have a problem with this Pantera knock-off. Call 'em Primal Concrete Sledge. Or P*S*T 2014  Razz 

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Do it, call the band The Cowboys Form Hell, and go make some cash!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm

How bout "Dimebag Disciples" ?  Now that's original Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Call 'em Primal Concrete Sledge. Or P*S*T 2014  Razz 

haha
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Do it, call the band The Cowboys Form Hell, and go make some cash!

There ya go!

Promoters will make this happen.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:15 pm

P*S*T 2014 would be pretty funny...

There's this very modern idea now that you can keep an "act" going even without most or, in some cases, any of the original members. I know David Thomas from Pere Ubu has talked about getting too old to perform live and having started to groom a "protege" to take over for him at some point in the future. He might be blowing smoke, but I'm waiting for the day a high-profile "legacy" act is seen to be touring with NO original members because the last surviving original members have retired (KISS, I'm looking at you) and "appointed" replacements.

Granted, having Rex and Phil would definitely give this specific idea some credibility (much as I think Phil will likely stick to his guns and never attempt to reform since Dimebag is gone), but how many original members are needed before you can't really call it more than a glorified cover band? How far can you go as a tribute to a great band, even if you were IN it, without just calling it your "solo" thing, before it kind of slides into a really sad parody of the good old days?

At least with Queensryche, you still have Wilton and Rockenfield. While they weren't the PRIMARY writers of the bulk of the group's tracks, they did write and co-write enough of the band's prime material to have some credibility behind the notion that they grasp the sense of "what the band is about." Rex and Phil more likely than not weren't responsible even in part for Dimebag's riffs, so you lose out on the writing machinery of the original band. They were a part, but the really immediately identifiable part of the sound is totally absent, even if Zakk is a solid player.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Seems like Vinnie Paul is the lone hold-out these days. Phil has mellowed-out quite a bit in the press and played Pantera songs on stage with Rex and Zakk.

I'm still holding out for an official-issue box set of the first 4 pre-Cowboys albums. I'll take that over a band reunion.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm still holding out for an official-issue box set of the first 4 pre-Cowboys albums. I'll take that over a band reunion.

I would be 100% down with that. Those albums are a lot better than they're given credit for.

The trick seems to be that they started off as Manheim Steamroller and turned into Black Sabbath. They may have been really good at being Manheim Steamroller, but it's really hard for fans of their Black Sabbath stuff that they got their start in that way.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Quote :
There's this very modern idea now that you can keep an "act" going even without most or, in some cases, any of the original members. I know David Thomas from Pere Ubu has talked about getting too old to perform live and having started to groom a "protege" to take over for him at some point in the future. He might be blowing smoke, but I'm waiting for the day a high-profile "legacy" act is seen to be touring with NO original members because the last surviving original members have retired (KISS, I'm looking at you) and "appointed" replacements.

There was an article in Classic Rock magazine a few months back about 4 bands that are doing just that. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was Southern rock band Blackfoot.

Rickey Medlocke hand-picked 4 young dudes to carry on the name. No originals in the band. Just 4 new guys playing old Blackfoot classics and presumably writing new music under the Blackfoot moniker. Have no idea if that's working out or not, but the idea is there.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Runicen wrote:
(much as I think Phil will likely stick to his guns and never attempt to reform since Dimebag is gone

Phil is already saying he'll do it.

When a band loses it's lead singer that made them famous AND their main songwriter that made them famous, then they need to change their name. Case in point: "QUEENSRYCHE".
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

There was an article in Classic Rock magazine a few months back about 4 bands that are doing just that. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was Southern rock band Blackfoot.

Rickey Medlocke hand-picked 4 young dudes to carry on the name. No originals in the band. Just 4 new guys playing old Blackfoot classics and presumably writing new music under the Blackfoot moniker. Have no idea if that's working out or not, but the idea is there.

That's simultaneously awesome and horrible.

I hate to say it could never work because even Piggy from VOIVOD was able to be effectively replaced in the performing as well as writing departments and I thought he had one of the most unique musical styles in the world.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Runicen wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I would be 100% down with that.  Those albums are a lot better than they're given credit for.

Eh, judging by what I've heard, some of the tunes have not aged well at all. Musically it's fine, but there are some lyrics that sound cheesy even by 80's standards.  Razz Don't get me wrong, I'd snap them up in a heartbeat, but still.

As far as fans accepting them now in 2014, I don't see it as a problem. The music is out there now anyway for those that want to hear it. It's no surprise anymore. Back in the 90's, sure, I could see why they tried to re-write band history and protect their image, but I don't think that stuff matters anymore to most fans.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
When a band loses it's lead singer that made them famous AND their main songwriter that made them famous, then they need to change their name.  Case in point: "QUEENSRYCHE".

I'm torn on the subject with them as that same original singer had completely blown his voice and apparently fried out his songwriting chops, such as they were (jury's still out of whether DeGarmo was carrying his ass all those years).

At some point, I agree, but I'm also willing to let the other guys have a go at it and see if they can right the ship. A rejuvenated Queensryche with two founding members is better than a crap one that just refuses to lay down or change anything.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Pantera's first four albums need to be reissued and would be a nice source of revenue for the band. Also, at least one of those four albums needs a remix because it's almost unlistenable in its current form - I Am The Night.

I am sure there will be some kind of Dimebag tribute band with Phil, Rex, Zakk and somebody on drums. There's just way too much money to be made for it not to happen.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:25 pm

I don't want to hear this. I think Zakk could handle it all very well, and he could possibly create some very good Pantera-sounding music if he got back to his 80s roots, but Phil is terrible these days. Money aside, he cannot do those songs justice.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:51 pm

I feel that Phil's been terrible since after Vulgar. He just went downhill fast to me. But I'll gladly take the first 4 albums re-issued.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I have all 4 MMR releases on vinyl (even have an extra of each still sealed) cool 

I'd hope for the initial version of the "I Am The Night" album w/out the electronic drums to get re-issued.  I'd see "Power Metal" getting done first cause Vinnie doesn't have to pay Terry any money to get them put out again.   One reason why it hasn't happened and possibly won't.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 am

Why does everyone assume Vinnie doesn't want to pay Terry? I have never even see anyone ask Vinnie about reissuing those old albums. Not once. So how would anyone know?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 am

Just put Gene Hoglan in a cowboy hat & no one would know the difference. Phil would be well advised to stick to the more extreme stuff though. He no longer has the pipes to handle the higher register stuff.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Eyesore wrote:
Why does everyone assume Vinnie doesn't want to pay Terry? I have never even see anyone ask Vinnie about reissuing those old albums. Not once. So how would anyone know?

Who is assuming anything  ? Not me.
I've known Terry since 1984 and the adage of straight from the camel's mouth applies very much to this situation.   You can dismiss it all you want, doesn't change it from being the truth.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 am

James B. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Who is assuming anything  ? Not me.
I've known Terry since 1984 and the adage of straight from the camel's mouth applies very much to this situation.   You can dismiss it all you want, doesn't change it from being the truth.

Oh, right. I forgot you know everyone. So how does Terry know, then?
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:10 am

Runicen wrote:
There's this very modern idea now that you can keep an "act" going even without most or, in some cases, any of the original members.  I know David Thomas from Pere Ubu has talked about getting too old to perform live and having started to groom a "protege" to take over for him at some point in the future.  He might be blowing smoke, but I'm waiting for the day a high-profile "legacy" act is seen to be touring with NO original members because the last surviving original members have retired (KISS, I'm looking at you) and "appointed" replacements.

At one stage Petra were touring with no original members. Founding guitarist Bob Hartman still wrote and played on the albums, just didn't perform with the band, although he did return to the stage (and then brought the band to an end a few years later).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:03 am

mc666 wrote:
Just put Gene Hoglan in a cowboy hat & no one would know the difference.

haha. Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:05 am

Eyesore wrote:
he could possibly create some very good Pantera-sounding music if he got back to his 80s roots,

No way. He doesn't have a thrash bone in his body, and that's a big part of PANTERA's sound. Playing a cover is one thing, writing a passable imitation of someone else's style is another.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)   Money in the Bank (PANTERA related) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Money in the Bank (PANTERA related)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next