Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'll say it again

Go down 
+20
ElectricEye93
Glower
mc666
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
exact33
metalhead777
corplhicks
Citanul
Hadley
MetalRob331
BearOnUnicycle
assault_attack
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I find euro power metal sooooo boring. For the most part. Every now and then something will grab me.

I am not rippin' on anyone else's personal tastes, but can someone please explain it to me? Vanden Plas sounds like EdGuy sounds like Iron Savior sounds like blah blah blah. Seriously. Cannot ALL euro power metal be put into two boxes: Savatage and Helloween?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Vanden Plas are closer to Dream Theater...maybe a tad more Euro/Symphonic these days...

EdGuy is the comical, German Metal/Power Metal thing...

Iron Savior are like a more Power Metal version of Judas Priest...usually darker and more serious than your average Euro Power Metal...

I think all 3 sounds pretty different to each other, honestly.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 2:11 pm

The vast majority of Euro power metal is HORRIBLE.

Utterly riffless and closer to Journey than Black Sabbath, but doing neither well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 2:13 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I find euro power metal sooooo boring.  For the most part.  Every now and then something will grab me.

I am not rippin' on anyone else's personal tastes, but can someone please explain it to me?  Vanden Plas sounds like EdGuy sounds like Iron Savior sounds like blah blah blah.  Seriously.  Cannot ALL euro power metal be put into two boxes:  Savatage and Helloween?

When I'm suiting up in my armor and mounting my steed, preparing to storm the castle, I need the appropriate theme music. I like to charge into battle with my banner held high, brandishing my mighty sword to vanquish my enemies with power & might. What else would I listen to? 'Walkin' on Sunshine'?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 2:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I find euro power metal sooooo boring.  For the most part.  Every now and then something will grab me.

I am not rippin' on anyone else's personal tastes, but can someone please explain it to me?  Vanden Plas sounds like EdGuy sounds like Iron Savior sounds like blah blah blah.  Seriously.  Cannot ALL euro power metal be put into two boxes:  Savatage and Helloween?

When I'm suiting up in my armor and mounting my steed, preparing to storm the castle, I need the appropriate theme music. I like to charge into battle with my banner held high, brandishing my mighty sword to vanquish my enemies with power & might. What else would I listen to? 'Walkin' on Sunshine'?

USPM

Manowar, Cauldron Born, Warlord. and tons of other great bands.  Edguy doesn't do it.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I liked EdGuy better when they thought they were Helloween Jr. and weren't trying to be a goofy melodic rock band.

Overall I liked a lot of the Euro power metal bands when they first started out in the late 90s (i.e. HammerFall, Iron Savior, Primal Fear, yadda yadda yadda) but each of them started getting stale after only an album or two.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Helloween, Gamma Ray and Metal Church are the only power metal bands I can really stomach

So it's Europe (well Kai really!) 2 - 1 U.S.A  I'll say it again 395375 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Helloween, Gamma Ray and Metal Church are the only power metal bands I can really stomach

So it's Europe (well Kai really!) 2 - 1 U.S.A  I'll say it again 395375 

I still like Helloween and Gamma Ray but I'm several albums behind on both of those bands angry 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Vanden Plas are closer to Dream Theater...maybe a tad more Euro/Symphonic these days...

Iron Savior are like a more Power Metal version of Judas Priest...usually darker and more serious than your average Euro Power Metal...

I have to agree with Shawn on his breakdown of those bands.

IMHO, I think Vanden Plas has nothing to do with what most consider euro power metal.

Not trying to gang up on you UNCLE SAXON  Smile
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 5:21 pm

assault_attack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I have to agree with Shawn on his breakdown of those bands.

IMHO, I think Vanden Plas has nothing to do with what most consider euro power metal.

Not trying to gang up on you UNCLE SAXON  Smile

Indeed. Early Edguy might be considered annoying flower metal, but even then they've morphed into something different and more enjoayble.
USPM's better though.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:54 pm

I like the more traditional side of Power Metal. Dream Evil, Hammerfall, Bloodbound, Firewind, Brainstorm, Excalion, Primal Fear, Nocturnal Rites, etc etc.. I love the genre but I really dont like the bands who get too speedy. I like it riff oriented and catchy!

If I was to actually get off my butt and start a band it would be very much musically like this! This is the type of Power Metal I enjoy!
Back to top Go down

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 11:16 pm

A few European power metal bands that I'd recommend are Scanner, Cloven Hoof (with Russ North), Thundersteel, Attack, Warrant, Iron Angel, Grave Digger (early stuff), Running Wild, and Mania.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 pm

CLOVEN HOOF are awesome, but their style is closer to USPM (or classic British metal). Similar to RIOT's "Thundersteel". They have nothing to do with the post 90s Euro-Flower metal scene.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 12:50 am

Actually, the first two Europe albums surprisingly sound like a prototype of modern Euro-power metal:

Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 1:28 am

I feel that the "it all sounds the same" argument isn't a particularly good one.

Since every style of music has certain features that need to be present for a band/artist to be classified as belonging to that style it does mean that at a certain basic level all bands playing that style do sound similar, and a casual listener could very well not find them all that different.  And while some bands do sound a lot like each other, there's also going to be a lot of variation within that style. To be fair, that may only be noticeable if you listen to a lot of it, and if you don't like it then you're not going to pick up on it.

So all European power metal sounds the same just like all death metal sounds the same or all thrash sounds the same or all doom sounds the same i.e. it doesn't actually, but you may only discover when you delve deeper. Saying that it all sounds the same comes across to me a quick and easy (and possibly uninformed) dismissal of an entire style.  It's perfectly fine not to like a particular style, but dismissing it like that moves away from a simple dislike and more into putting it down.

MetalRob331 wrote:
I like it riff oriented and catchy!

The catchiness is why I prefer European power metal to US power metal.  I find that the European bands tend to be better at writing catchy, memorable songs than the US ones.  That's not to say that every European band does that well and every US band does it poorly, just that in my experience it's the Eurpoean bands who tend to work better for me in that regard.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 1:58 am

Hey Painkiller's back!

I haven't heard as much EUPM (?) as the lot of you but what I have heard varies in quality. USPM is much dirtier, catchier, and more complex as a whole, but that's not to say there have been a fair share of EUPM that has done the same, such as Primal Fear and Running Wild (huge fan of that last one, ahoy).
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 2:09 am

Despite being a fan of the genre, I'd call myself a fan of the genre only when done well.  As a whole I find it to be a genre more based around vocal melodies and hooks rather than being heavy and riff based. I'd almost call it the pop music of the metal world; and in that regard to be successful requires the ability to not only write catchy/interesting songs but to do so on a regular basis. Given that, I find few bands that I can say I feel really do that. Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Edge of Sanity, and Stratovarius are the only ones that come to mind right now; and despite my previous statement that I'm a huge fan of the genre, I've found myself fawning over these bands and very, very few others for the past 4-5 years or so.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 10:53 am

It's a style I've always enjoyed. I suppose they can all be considered "samey" but it never bothered me. There are a few bands listed on here that I've never heard but would like to check out eventually.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 11:00 am

i like power metal but the genre is horribly over-saturated. Still some good stuff out there but a lot of it is pretty meh.

Other than the bands already mentioned, I enjoy:

Sabaton
Civil War
Skyliner

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 11:20 am

I love Power Metal. I favor the Euro stuff, but really dig a lot of American Power Metal like Brainstorm or Cage.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Sorry Uncle Sax, if you can't tell the difference between Vanden Plas and Edguy, then there is no way to make you understand.

I love power metal, even clones of clones. If it sounds good to my ears, then that's all that matters. Statements like ToB's used to bug the hell out of me, but I learned to realize that not everyone is going to like what I do, and might even hate it. A part of me still gets annoyed when people trash what I love, but I've learned to live with it. As the popular internet meme says:

I'll say it again Haters-gonna-hate_917
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 9:17 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I love Power Metal. I favor the Euro stuff, but really dig a lot of American Power Metal like Brainstorm or Cage.
I need to explore more American power metal. I had a long stint with listening to Cage a few years back but aside from that I don't have any that come to mind.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Meh, people not into it make the same claims about black, death, or just about any other style of music. The differences are always there if you like it enough to listen with an open mind. There are a ton of power metal bands that I still dig.

No shame in not liking a particular style though. If art was for everybody, it wouldn't be art.

Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey Metalguy71,
You stoked me up with those few lines of rowdiness !
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 am

Was pretty sure I made it clear that I was not rippin', DB. And everyone here is right. I would think it silly if someone said all thrash sounded alike. So, I can relate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'll say it again Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'll say it again   I'll say it again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'll say it again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: