Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down

Go down 
+11
ze_mau
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Vexer6
ultmetal
nevermore
MetallicSeminarian
Gilbert
corplhicks
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:19 pm

James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

What pioneering El Lay (Hollywood) Christian metal band had roadies that went on to form Holy Soldier ?

Taking a stab but would they happen to have anything to do with Rob Rock?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:05 pm

corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

What pioneering El Lay (Hollywood) Christian metal band had roadies that went on to form Holy Soldier ?

I would guess Stryper
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

I would guess Stryper

That actually makes more sense after realizing James use of the word "pioneering." Plus HS formed in '85.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

I love their 1st two albums. I always tbought their glammy image didn't fit with the music that thet put out......but at the end of the day....who cares?!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
It's a shame that such a good band made the same mistakes as Guardian did by jumping headfirst on the Grunge bandwagon because it was trendy thing to do at the time.

As strong as they were as songwriters, it truly is a shame. Worse is how, in all the crossover albums released by CCM metal bands, Promise Man is the worst, at least to me.
Even worse then Guardian's "Bottle Rocket" or Bride's "Fistful Of Bees"?

Fistfull of Bees is just downright terrible. I like Bride but wow is that one bad.

My favorite HS song is Hallows Eve. It is very eerie.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm

exact33 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
It's a shame that such a good band made the same mistakes as Guardian did by jumping headfirst on the Grunge bandwagon because it was trendy thing to do at the time.

As strong as they were as songwriters, it truly is a shame. Worse is how, in all the crossover albums released by CCM metal bands, Promise Man is the worst, at least to me.
Even worse then Guardian's "Bottle Rocket" or Bride's "Fistful Of Bees"?

Fistfull of Bees is just downright terrible. I like Bride but wow is that one bad.

My favorite HS song is Hallows Eve. It is very eerie.

Hallow's Eve is gorgeous and evocative. For me that was the top track on Last Train. Like Joker said, though, that album was way too short, especially with a cover of Gimme Shelter (which I like).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 am

'Bottle Rocket' is a great 90s Pop/Rock album ala Collective Soul or latter Stone Temple Pilots.

'Promise Man' is quite a bit darker and really has some strong 70s influence, a hint of Grunge, and even a tiny hint of 90s Queensryche (the song "Rust" would have fit perfectly on 'Promised Land' by Queensryche)...

I like both records...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am

James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

Neon Cross

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

James B. wrote:
James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

Neon Cross

Ohhhh, of COURSE. I totally knew that. I was just, errr, checking to see if YOU knew that. I mean, I was just waiting to give someone ELSE a chance to answer.

(Walks away with hands in pockets, whistles nonchalantly)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
James B. wrote:
James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

Neon Cross

Ohhhh, of COURSE. I totally knew that. I was just, errr, checking to see if YOU knew that. I mean, I was just waiting to give someone ELSE a chance to answer.

Laughing very hard 

Never would have guessed...... or called them pioneering... I do love that S/T Neon Cross album though!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
James B. wrote:
James B. wrote:
Trivia time:

Neon Cross

Laughing very hard 

Never would have guessed...... or called them pioneering... I do love that S/T Neon Cross album though!
They were playing clubs in El Lay in 1985 

They had two lead slingers back then too.   Don Webster and PK Mitchell.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Damn, I almost said Neon Cross!!
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
'Bottle Rocket' is a great 90s Pop/Rock album ala Collective Soul or latter Stone Temple Pilots.

'Promise Man' is quite a bit darker and really has some strong 70s influence, a hint of Grunge, and even a tiny hint of 90s Queensryche (the song "Rust" would have fit perfectly on 'Promised Land' by Queensryche)...

I like both records...
What about Bride's 90s-early 00s output(I.E. Drop, The Jesus Experience, Oddities, Fistful Of Bees)? Did you like any of those, i'll admit some of the songs on "Bees" were pretty catchy even though they were terribly written lyrics wise and Dale's voice sounded utterly ridiculous trying to imitate the vocalists or bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I like "Drop" and never really gave more than a few listens to the others mentioned from Bride.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 am

I hate to admit it but at the time it came out I really liked Fistful of Bees.It had some catchy tunes on it.I still like their earlier stuff the best though.

As for Holy Soldier,I liked the first two albums but never heard Promise Man.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 pm

I love the first two albums. Last Train has some of my favorite tracks on it, but it is a little short.

Because nobody has mentioned it on this thread yet, clips from Steven Patrick's latest solo album are up here:

http://www.stevenpatrick.com/listen/

Listen with caution!

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:25 pm

glassprison wrote:
I love the first two albums. Last Train has some of my favorite tracks on it, but it is a little short.

Because nobody has mentioned it on this thread yet, clips from Steven Patrick's latest solo album are up here:

Listen with caution!

Steven's solo work is awesome. Gritty hard rock, heavy stuff.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 am

I like Bangladesh and the Red Reign album; but while I gave the country album a chance there was no way I could get into it. At places it's hard to tell its him on vocals.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:42 am

corplhicks wrote:
glassprison wrote:

Listen with caution!

Not this new one...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 am

Quote :

Listen with caution!

What a crappy web site! It looks like a WayBac machine page from 1998. Laughing very hard

Whoever wrote Steven Patrick's "bio" on that web site loves the commas:

"A seasoned artist, with a story to tell, Steven Patrick, combines mileage, magic, and mystery, to take you into an incredible audiovisual experience."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Well they really banned me from the Christian Metal Realm. I dunno why since I was starting to be respectful there.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
glassprison wrote:

Listen with caution!

Not this new one...

For some reason I missed your post Shawn, so I went to check the latest album out (I've only heard his earlier solo work)...my initial reaction:

WHAT THE F*ck?

Eventually, my reaction mellowed a bit with more listens:

WHAT THE F*ck.

You weren't kidding.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 8:41 pm

wow. what a change in style.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2