Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down

Go down 
+11
ze_mau
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Vexer6
ultmetal
nevermore
MetallicSeminarian
Gilbert
corplhicks
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Empty
PostSubject: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:23 am

This is one of the strongest pop metal songs of the CCM movement. Still gives me goosebumps today.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 2:18 am

Nice song headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 3:22 am

The whole album is a masterpiece, really. A bit derivative, perhaps, but class A pop metal. Needs a remaster (sounds a bit thin).
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 8:01 am

Amazing song and one of my favorite Holy Soldier tunes. Lyrically and musically powerful.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Killer band and song!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Always liked this band. I don't think they ever topped their debut. The second album was good, the third was terrible, and that's all she wrote.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 11:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Always liked this band. I don't think they ever topped their debut. The second album was good, the third was terrible, and that's all she wrote.

Pretty much. I thought the second was equal to the first, just a stronger, edgier sound, but Promise Man is the one that always has me curious as to what the hell they were thinking. I wish I could've been a fly on the wall before recording to hear Andy and Jamie justify their decision to take their music in such an awkward direction. I usually applaud bands for pursuing a new musical direction, but that album was just horrible.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:21 am

It's a shame that such a good band made the same mistakes as Guardian did by jumping headfirst on the Grunge bandwagon because it was trendy thing to do at the time.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:24 am

Vexer6 wrote:
It's a shame that such a good band made the same mistakes as Guardian did by jumping headfirst on the Grunge bandwagon because it was trendy thing to do at the time.

As strong as they were as songwriters, it truly is a shame. Worse is how, in all the crossover albums released by CCM metal bands, Promise Man is the worst, at least to me.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:30 am

corplhicks wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

As strong as they were as songwriters, it truly is a shame. Worse is how, in all the crossover albums released by CCM metal bands, Promise Man is the worst, at least to me.
Even worse then Guardian's "Bottle Rocket" or Bride's "Fistful Of Bees"?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 am

Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Even worse then Guardian's "Bottle Rocket" or Bride's "Fistful Of Bees"?

As much as I can't stand those two albums, they offer one up over Promise Man because the songs are actually decently written for the genres they were dabbling in. Promise Man is devoid of decency.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 am

I really liked the first 2, and I even liked the 3rd for what it was (new singer, new sound). I think my favorite is 'Last Train'...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 am

I dig the "Promise Man" cd.  (IMHDO)  It is just them wearing their 70's influences on the sleeve, so to speak.

Last edited by James B. on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 am

I'm probably the only person I've come across who feels this way, but I really think "Eyes of Innocence" is a terrible ballad ("The Pain Inside of Me" is good, though). Favorite HS tunes: Stranger, See No Evil, When the Reign Comes Down, Lies, Hallow's Eve, Last Train.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:41 am

So I was reading the liner notes and it seems this is "Reign Comes Down." Not "Rain." My bad.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 11:58 am

ultmetal wrote:

Agree, but I really liked the second one. Not as good as the first, but still a good album.... I always felt Last Train was a bit to short length wise
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Had this album on cassette back in the day but it went missing ages ago. The only tracks I remember were "Stranger" and "See No Evil" (which I believe was also the single/video).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 12:39 pm

I can´t stand this band. too fluffy-hair-glam crap for me. I do like some glam stuff but not this band.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 12:47 pm

ze_mau wrote:
I can´t stand this band. too fluffy-hair-glam crap for me. I do like some glam stuff but not this band.
I wouldn't call them "hair-glam-" at all.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Neither would I. Just because a band dolls themselves up to some degree for aesthetic purposes back then doesn't make them less than metal. That's like saying Dokken is stylistically similar to Poison. HS is straight up pop metal; the pop comes from the overt use of melody and harmony, but other than that they are extremely metallic. In fact, Last Train wasn't anywhere NEAR pop metal, but more like traditional metal with a lot of hard rock grit. This is an asinine label and I question if you've really heard anything of their work.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Neither would I. Just because a band dolls themselves up to some degree for aesthetic purposes back then doesn't make them less than metal. That's like saying Dokken is stylistically similar to Poison. HS is straight up pop metal; the pop comes from the overt use of melody and harmony, but other than that they are extremely metallic. In fact, Last Train wasn't anywhere NEAR pop metal, but more like traditional metal with a lot of hard rock grit. This is an asinine label and I question if you've really heard anything of their work.

For that matter, the song that started this thread, "When the Reign Comes Down" is pretty heavy and dark. Nothing like Poison or bands of that ilk. (which I also like, it should be said Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:03 pm

^^Exactly. Here's their lead single from the same album (I'll post some Last Train stuff later). Nothing glammy about it, and I love those demonic-preschooler BG vocals in the first pre-chorus.

The rest of the album is just like this and kicks ass.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:
^^Exactly. Here's their lead single from the same album (I'll post some Last Train stuff later). Nothing glammy about it, and I love those demonic-preschooler BG vocals in the first pre-chorus.

The rest of the album is just like this and kicks ass.

"Tear Down the Walls" comes to mind, as well:

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:06 pm

^^I always thought that was the most derivative song on the album but it still rocks and sounds like a USPM song. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Trivia time:

What pioneering El Lay (Hollywood) Christian metal band had roadies that went on to form Holy Soldier ?

PostSubject: Re: Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down   Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holy Soldier - When the Rain Comes Down
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next