Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Empty
PostSubject: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:30 pm

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston Bruins (1st in Northeast Division) vs. Montréal Canadiens (3rd in Northeast Division)
After losing the opening game in their opening round playoff series against the Detroit Red Wings, the Boston Bruins stormed to win the next four in a row to face the Montréal Canadiens once again. Montréal were the only team to win in the opening round in a four game sweep, as they broomed the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Bruins and Canadiens last met in the playoffs in 2011, when Boston won in seven games and went on to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972.
Prediction: Boston in six games.

Pittsburgh Penguins (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. New York Rangers (2nd in Metropolitan Division)
After winning a hard fought first round matchup with the Columbus Blue Jackets in the opening round, the Pittsburgh Penguins face the New York Rangers. New York won their opening round series in seven games for the third straight season. After they were unable to get past the second round the previous two seasons, the Rangers hope the third time will be the charm for them. During the regular season, the Rangers and Penguins were evenly matched. In the four games they played against each other, the Rangers won one game in a shootout and one in regulation, while Pittsburgh won one game in a shootout and one in regulation. In the playoffs, the Rangers and Penguins have faced each other four times; Pittsburgh won all four, with the most recent meeting being in 2008.
Prediction: Pittsburgh in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Anaheim Ducks (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Los Angeles Kings (3rd in Pacific Division)
After becoming only the fourth team in NHL history to win a playoff series after being down 3-0 in a series (and only the second to do so in the opening round), the Los Angeles Kings will face the Anaheim Ducks in the playoffs for the first time. During the regular season, the Los Angeles Kings won the first matchup in a shootout, but Anaheim won the next four. Whether the Kings can keep up the momentum from their shocking first round comeback remains to be seen, as they aim for their second Stanley Cup in three years.
Prediction: Los Angeles in seven games.

Chicago Blackhawks (3rd in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (1st wild card)
The Minnesota Wild advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2003 after surprising the Colorado Avalanche in the opening round in a seven game series. They will now face the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Chicago Blackhawks, for the second straight year in the playoffs. The Wild, who were the only wild card playoff team to advance beyond the first round in the first year under the new playoff format, lost in five games in the opening round of the playoffs to the Blackhawks last year. In the regular season, Minnesota won three of the five games they played against Chicago; Chicago won the other two, with one being in a shootout.
Prediction: Chicago in six games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 1:00 am

I won't predict winners after the round already started.

But I'm hoping for a Rangers - Blackhawks final.

The only 2nd round game I watched so far was the Hawks - Wild, and the Hawks got outplayed for a large part of the game while up 2-0. Special teams, Corey Crawford and Pat Kane were the difference tonight. Kane truly is a big time player. What a backhander! It stood as the game-winning goal. 2 goals Kane, 2 goals Bickell, excellent powerplay, stingy penalty kill and goaltending.

But they have to improve if they want to sweep the Wild, like a lot of people think they will.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 10:42 am

I know what you're saying, but it was only the first game of three of the matchups on hand, and that's generally the least important game of the series. Plus, I've been rather busy with other things since the first round ended.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 8:44 am

A ilttle late to predict howe many games each will go but I think :

Boston (they're just too good)
New York (the Pens barely squeaked by Columbus and they just seem to be missing something)
Los Angeles (just basing it off Boudreau's playoff history;talented teams that underachieve)
Chicago (way too much for Minnesota)
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Wow. Anaheim's goalie, John Gibson, became only the second goaltender ever to record shutouts in both his regular season debut and playoff debut.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 8:03 am

Required Fields wrote:
Wow. Anaheim's goalie, John Gibson, became only the second goaltender ever to record shutouts in both his regular season debut and playoff debut.

Yeah everyone around here is all excited about him since he's from the area. Good to see a local guy do well.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Bruins fan. Here near Boston - sports fans HATE Montreal -
even more so than the New York Yankees rivalry -
This is a strong decade after decade after decade rivalry.
Needless to say - Montreal's 3rd goal plunged the dagger in my heart !!!
Subban and Price - were outstanding -
Thornton screwed things up big time with that water bottle thing -
Boston had FOOLISH penalties - and it's Game 7 !!????!!
Lucic and Chara failed - failed hard - Rask had some tough breaks -
Big talk before the series began - radio jocks perdicted a sweep -
After Detriot, finding out we were nexted matched up with Montreal - angry 
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Biggest playoff coming out parties so far:

Devante Smith-Pelley, I don't think he was even playing to start the playoffs. He hits, he scores he plays with an incredible amount of energy. A great, fun player to watch.

Erik Haula. Where the hell did he come from? I hadn't even heard of him a year ago. He only played about half a regular season, he is a 7th round pick, and in the playoffs he was the best player on the Wild team. As a Blackhawk fan, he was definitely the most noticeable opponent in the series.

As far as the games, if the Kings win Friday night then I've got them all going just the way I wanted. I predicted the Bruins to lose already in the first round, and I would have bet against them every round from there on. I also put money on the Rangers before the playoffs, and I have them winning the East.

Hawks are of course my team, and I'd much rather have them start home against the Kings than on the road against the Ducks.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Glower wrote:
Bruins fan. Here near Boston - sports fans HATE Montreal -
even more so than the New York Yankees rivalry -
This is a strong decade after decade after decade rivalry.
Needless to say - Montreal's 3rd goal plunged the dagger in my heart !!!
Subban and Price - were outstanding -
Thornton screwed things up big time with that water bottle thing -
Boston had FOOLISH penalties - and it's Game 7 !!????!!
Lucic and Chara failed - failed hard - Rask had some tough breaks -
Big talk before the series began - radio jocks perdicted a sweep -
After Detriot, finding out we were nexted matched up with Montreal - angry 
People in Montreal were celebrating like they just won the Cup. Tens of thousands of people on streets.

Sorry for the double post.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 11:41 pm

If I lived in Montreal I don't know whether I'd pray for 'em to win the cup or not. I remember 1992 when they won and they were turning over cars burning stuff and generally rioting in the streets.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 7:39 am

It was '93. Blackhawks played the Penguins in the 92 final.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Lari wrote:
It was '93. Blackhawks played the Penguins in the 92 final.
that's what I get for relying on memory instead of the good 'ole interwebs Smile
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Though the Hawks lost, I remember '92 vividly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions   2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: Second round predictions
Page 1 of 1